Are we a top 8 proposition next year?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sirvass36
Top Up Player

Post by Sirvass36 »

We got a lot to look forward to next year I reckon - got to be a chance to play finals...

Neagle should continue to develop up forward and Davey is a gun - hopefully Gumbleton can slot in there also if he stays injury free

Lonergan Reimers Houli & Winderlich will all have another year under their belt and should give us a bit more grunt on the ball

Dempsey may finally get a chance to show how good he is down back and Paddy Ryder can only get better

If we can pick up some more talent then Im pretty sure you'll see the Bombers climb back up the ladder again before to long
gringo
Club Captain

Re: Are we a top 8 proposition next year?

Post by gringo »

Knocking around with Filthy are we Sirvass?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

No. If everything goes to plan then arguably we are, but this is AFL, players get injured, lose form, suspended etc., so no.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I would have say no, but if we have another 93 type year, well anything is possible ;)
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Favourable draw - 18 games in Melbourne - a relatively injury free year - YES
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Yeah, nah.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i like to think every year before a ball is bounced we are a chance for the finals, even the flag...no matter how bad our form.

look we could bounce back...i remember us being pretty damn ordinary in 97 and not much better in 98.

it could be a very short turn around.(brisbane got the spoon in 98, 3 years later they beat us for the flag).

it will all depend on how our midfield develops. knights sure is giving some young uns game time. if houli, reimers, lonergan all step up to the plate to support mcveigh and watson..well anything might happen.

this year I feel Knights is finding his back 6. we have been getting pumped partly because of it.

the midfield is starting to come along nicely....prob the biggest other concern is gumbleton, because there is a definite need of a guy his size and skill in the team...there void is already starting to appear with michael all but gone and fletcher starting to lose a yard of pace.(or up front with Scotty getting injured).

when we click we will have some great wins....already when we play teams who aren't switched on defensively we play some sparkling footy....

i expect some heartening performances in the next 10 weeks.

finals next year? put 10 dollars on us if your a betting man, because the odds will be good and it could happen...all likely though, it will be 2009-10 before we start looking better than half the comp.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

At this stage, no. But by the time next season comes around I'll have bought into my own hype and will be thinking we're premiership material!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It all depends on how we finish this year. If we can play some good footy and win a few more games we should continue to improve next year.
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

I hope so and think we are a chance, but lets face it we go backwards again after next year so in my oppinion it is our best chance we will have for at least 3 years.

By 2010 we lose Fletch leaving a massive hole in defence and I dont see anyone developing into that position in 2 years time especially with my view that Ryder will be used more in the ruck by then, could Darcy step up that quickly, i doubt it. We possibly lose Lloyd and Lucus (even if we dont lose them will they be at thier best?), Neagle should be able to fill the FF position nicely with Gumby at CHF, but both probably wont really hit their straps until 2011-12, especially Gumby whose development is now being hindered by consistant injury troubles.

The good news is our young midfield can only get better, If Houli keeps up his improvement he could be our next star player, he has all the tools. I also have a hell of allot of confidence in Dempsey, I think he is destined to be a superstar with his acceleration and power and ability to get the ball in packs.

Again, I think next year is a bit premature for the substantial step up required from our midfield whilst our forward and backlines are still relatively intact with our champions. By 2010 our midfield may be up to standard but with inexperienced forwards and backs we will probably still struggle. IMO 2011 we could be on the brink of the 8 with a young up and coming team capable of a sustained period of finals football for the years ahead.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

PJ thinks so - 8th next year, 5 or 6 the next.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

No.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

absolutly, I would (and prob will) put money on it
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

No!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Unlikely.
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'd like to think so, but let's see how the rest of the year turns out.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Are we heading in the right direction........yes

Will be be competitive and a team not to take lightly..........yes

Will we have a say who finishes in the top 8.........yes (especially if they (our opponents don't respect us)

Will we be top 8..........not just yet