Has Welsh finally found his best role?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Two outstanding weeks in a row as a mid-field tagger. The great thing about him doing this, is that if they try to take him forward, he has spent so much time down back, that it plays into his hands. I really like him doing this, and would give him either Judd or Stevens next week.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: Has Welsh finally found his best role?

Post by paddyl90 »

Another fantastic player tonight, a little under rated, week in week out it solid. Apparently 12 tackles he made tonight for an individual is a lot. I think we need him as our tagger, now Pev is going to be shown the door.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I gotta say I didn't notice Welsh much tonight (that's just because he played a negative role and I only generally notice our play makers). I shall sit down and watch the tape of the game tomorrow.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:I gotta say I didn't notice Welsh much tonight (that's just because he played a negative role and I only generally notice our play makers). I shall sit down and watch the tape of the game tomorrow.
You will see the footballer that Welsh has needed to become. An accountable in and under pest, with controlled agression. Not the "get a cheap kick" across half back player he has been over the last few years.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Watch him smash Priddis on several occasions...he was very, very good tonight
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Apart from being one of our most consistant defenders?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah yes, he wore him like a 2nd jumper. Must say that I am surprised that he has performed this role so well (never knew he had it in him). He's now put the stops on Mitchell and Priddis - two big ball winners. Not only that, but he provided a lot of contested ball wins for the boys - effective tackles and in and under stuff. Two people should be congratulated for his efforts in the last 2 weeks - Welsh himself for his application and determination and Knights for using him in this role. Knights might have had some bad moves this year such as Winderlich in defence, but this one has been a winner.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:Apart from being one of our most consistant defenders?
Well of course. He wears red and black Sismis. You must be about to leave now to get down to the club to line up for Grand Final tickets after last night.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I reckon this might well be his best role - the new Pev (but rather better looking). :shock:
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

billyduckworth wrote:I reckon this might well be his best role - the new Pev (but rather better looking). :shock:
The differance is, is that Pev could be exposed just by moving him forward. You cant do that to Welsh.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:I reckon this might well be his best role - the new Pev (but rather better looking). :shock:
The differance is, is that Pev could be exposed just by moving him forward. You cant do that to Welsh.
Greta point.

The only problem I see is that Priddis probably isn't quite as good as he was last year because he didn't have Judd, Kerr and Cousins playing. But I think it would be wise to at least start him on Judd this week.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Yes. Notwithstanding the fact that Judd was obviously playing under duress, Welsh again worked over his opponent in a tagging role very nicely, and looked comfortable when Judd was played deep in the forward line.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Yes. Notwithstanding the fact that Judd was obviously playing under duress, Welsh again worked over his opponent in a tagging role very nicely, and looked comfortable when Judd was played deep in the forward line.
And considering a lot thought he never had the pace to keep up with him. Well done Welshy, you've re-invented yourself.
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Wore Judd like a glove today. Everytime the ball went near Judd, bam, down he'd go with the tackle or the bump. Granted Judd looked 50% fit, but that's not Welsh's fault. Another top effort on another top quality player.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Did such a good job on Judd that Judd starting getting frustrated.
Reminded me a bit of Sean Denham on Greg Williams a few years back.
Well done, Welshy.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

billyduckworth wrote:Did such a good job on Judd that Judd starting getting frustrated.
Reminded me a bit of Sean Denham on Greg Williams a few years back.
Well done, Welshy.
Actually, there was a moment where I thought Judd might have been looked at on the replay by the MRP for a bit of an elbow to Welsh's head. Being tackled by Welsh on the HFF (I think) as they came down, Judd threw his elbow back into Welsh's scone.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrking supurb!! Judd threw a ******* hissy fit in the final quarter. What a thing of beauty that was. vingertje
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Oh and by the way.

*bows* :P
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

Great job tagging one of the best there is. Not to take anything away from another successful shutdown but in this case I think he owes Matty a Breezer. That bump knocked the begeezes out of Judd and he didn't seem totally aware that he was at the MCG for the rest of the match. Really set up the game for us.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

He was great. The only problem is going to come where he has to tag a faster midfielder in the Ablett mould - I don't now if he would have the pace to keep up.