Blues' priority chase

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sol
Top Up Player

Blues' priority chase

Post by Sol »

Article from the HUN today

CARLTON is continuing its fight to reinstate its priority national draft selection as first pick overall.

The club was told in June by the AFL it would not be eligible for the bonus, but has re-submitted a proposal seeking it be granted.

``We think the AFL should use its discretion to allow Carlton to qualify,'' president Graham Smorgon said.

``Of all the clubs that need it, we are the only ones that that rule could apply to. Having finished down the bottom, we need all the new young draft picks we can get, and we think it appropriate to ask for it.''

The AFL this year changed the priority draft pick criteria.

Previously, teams with five wins or less in a season gained a priority pick before the first round of the draft.

From this year, priority picks are to fall after the first round.

The only way a club can now gain a priority pick before the first round is if it wins four or fewer matches in two consecutive seasons.

The Blues had three wins and a draw this season, and four wins and a draw in 2005.

Even if last years results were taken into consideration the Scum wouldn't qualify as they won 4.5 last year.

As such in the small chance than their request is approved, it bloody better well also apply to Essendon.

Typical of the cheating, winging incompetant Scum board to go begging the AFL for yet more assistance despite the rules beng loud and clear and conveniently Carton and Collingwood the final benficiaries and we JUST miss out.

How nice would it be to pick up Gibbs and Hanson? :evil:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Typical f****** carlton

It wouldn't suprise me if vlad and co granted their wish though
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Four and a half wins in 2005 automatically rules them out. End of story. Game set and match, Thank's for coming.

Carlton are wasting their time.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

bombercol wrote:Four and a half wins in 2005 automatically rules them out. End of story. Game set and match, Thank's for coming.

Carlton are wasting their time.
They wanted to get some media attention :roll:
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Scum.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Theres no way this should be granted,

Rules are rules - and unfortunatley if they are broken then other clubs are affected - especially Essendon.

If this gets approved - you watch us go to the courts.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

bueller wrote:Theres no way this should be granted,

Rules are rules - and unfortunatley if they are broken then other clubs are affected - especially Essendon.

The AFL actually did go outside the rules once this year, awarding Freo a win in that controversial finish against St.Kilda.

Although it was a popular and "moral" decision, they did go outside the written rules of the game and it does affect other clubs. If I may be a nasty devil's advocate, if it was called a draw, as per the rule book, St.Kilda would have finished 3rd on 58 pts, Freo 4th on 58 points. St.Kilda playing an injury revaged Adelaide first week then a home final in the second (or a week off). Hmmm wonder how Grant Thomas is feeling?

Back to the subject, sorry, this one is pretty clear though. I would say that Carlton would argue that they've averaged less than four wins for the past two years to get around it. If the AFL goes by the "letter of the law", Carlton should be unsuccessful.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

bombercol wrote:
bueller wrote:Theres no way this should be granted,

The AFL actually did go outside the rules once this year, awarding Freo a win in that controversial finish against St.Kilda.

Although it was a popular and "moral" decision, they did go outside the written rules of the game and it does affect other clubs. If I may be a nasty devil's advocate, if it was called a draw, as per the rule book, St.Kilda would have finished 3rd on 58 pts, Freo 4th on 58 points. St.Kilda playing an injury revaged Adelaide first week then a home final in the second (or a week off). Hmmm wonder how Grant Thomas is feeling?

Back to the subject, sorry, this one is pretty clear though. I would say that Carlton would argue that they've averaged less than four wins for the past two years to get around it. If the AFL goes by the "letter of the law", Carlton should be unsuccessful.
Bombercol, i remember discussing the St. Kilda v Freo outcome with you ad nauseum when it was topical. The decision the AFL made was well grounded within the laws the AFL is bound by. The decision to award Freo the win was both technically and morally correct.

I'm not going to explain how, because i explained it at least 3 times when the issue was in vogue to seemingly no avail to a number of people, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:

Bombercol, i remember discussing the St. Kilda v Freo outcome with you ad nauseum when it was topical. The decision the AFL made was well grounded within the laws the AFL is bound by. The decision to award Freo the win was both technically and morally correct.

I'm not going to explain how, because i explained it at least 3 times when the issue was in vogue to seemingly no avail to a number of people, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Exactly right.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

jimmyc1985 wrote:

To be honest, I only brought that up to be a "devil's advocate" and notwithstanding my own views on the outcome of that decision, it's happened and I respected everyone's views and fully understand that technically and morally the right decision was made.

Hopefully the AFL in this issue will stick with their "black and white" rules and not grant Carlton's request on a technicality. As I mentioned in the last post, I'd say Carlton are pushing for this because they've averaged 4 wins per season for the past two.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

If they change it for carlton they should change it for Essendon. I doubt they will though. Get used to life at the bottom carlton. You will be there for a while.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Proving once again they are scum. Need all the help they can get but they do not deserve it. Just for asking they should take their first pick :D
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Im confused.... Do we still get picks 18&20?
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Yes boncer we do :)
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Gossy wrote:Yes boncer we do :)
How come? What would happen if Carlton were granted a priority and we were to?
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Oh sorry, i thought you meant at the moment.

I think to be eligable for a priority at the start of the draft you have to win less than 4 two years in a row. Blues didnt do that last year. They are trying to say they should get it. We wont even if they do i dont think.

So if it is successful, which it wont be, they would have 1 and 2 and 18, and we would have 3 17 and 19 i think
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

So how come we get 18 AND 20?
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Because that is the priority pick rules for this year. Priorities at the end of the first round if you win less than 4
Rotorog
Top Up Player

Post by Rotorog »

Gossy wrote:Because that is the priority pick rules for this year. Priorities at the end of the first round if you win less than 4
Now I am TOTALLY confused :?:
The Oracle has spoken.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

simple.

pre 2005.

priority picks before the first round

post 2005

priority picks after the first round.

ie so if you applied the pre 2005 rule to this year the draft picks would look like this.

1.carlton
2 essendon
3. carlton
4. Essendon
5. North
6. Brisbane.
etc

instead it is now
1.carlton
2.essendon
3. north
4. brisbane..