Ben "Such Is Life" Cousins

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Ben "Such Is Life" Cousins

Post by bomberflyer »

Is it me or should we acquire Mr Cousins and help our young and slowly-developing midfield grow some experience?

I think he is worth the punt if his mind is right because he would seriously out-run half of our midfielf when he turns 40.

Thoughts?????????
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Re: Ben "Such Is Life" Cousins

Post by bomberflyer »

sorry......."gain experience from the best and build confidence in their ability?"

ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

No, he is 30, maybe if he was 26-27, but he could do too much damage to the culture of the club if he relapses or hasn't got his shit together. Could be a terrible influence on our young list. Even if he has fully rehabilitated, and he is able to get back to his best football, he would not be a part of next premiership and really after the debacle drafting the likes of Murphy, Alvery, Allan Campo, Zantuck etc in order to top up our list you would've thought we had learned our lesson in this area.

I realisitcally think the only club that would be interested in picking him up would be Collingwood, because he might take them to the next level to being premiership contenders. The other teams that are currently in their premiership windows have very good midfields and a Ben Cousins who has missed a year of footy might not even be able to crack them for a game.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Our midfield is going to be pretty good in 2-3 years time, it seems to be developing very well. Cousins would be taking the spot of one of our young midfielders which wouldn't really help them gain experience would it?
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

That was the response the other side of my brain gave me but I guess hindsight is a sought after ability when taking such a punt. Who would benefit from his services then based on salary cap pressues because I assume you're saying that he has to go to a Club that has a nearby premiership window (ie. Bulldogs). Also, I'm assuming he won't ask for huge money because his reasons for re-entering the competition would be by simply proving people wrong?

I guess as an EFC supporter you crave success - and it's been since 2004 since we played a Premiership Final.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm so over this bloke that I really don't give a flying f*** about him. Don't want him, and don't need him. He would only do his stuff and hinder the development of our kids i.e - he would dominate the midfield and the kids won't have any influence in the matches he played. If you think the kids will learn by simply watching him perform his deeds in red & black you are kidding yourself. The other thing is, he'd probably be a bad influence on Reimers, and that is something we don't want. He will only be a short term prospect, and to be honest, I'd rather be watching Houli, Hislop, Reimers, Hocking, Dempsey, Myers & Lonergan than him.
Essendunny
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

If there was a betting market, I would lay my money to bricks on him going to Sydney.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

ealesy wrote:No, he is 30, maybe if he was 26-27, but he could do too much damage to the culture of the club if he relapses or hasn't got his shit together.
Exactly. Too old.

Seriously, can anyone think of a player who's returned to the game after missing more than a year aged 30+ who's had more than one decent season? Lockett, Carey, Tim Watson, Salmon, Darcy recently....just doesn't seem to happen for guys aged 30+ after being out for over a year.
tom9779 wrote:If there was a betting market, I would lay my money to bricks on him going to Sydney.
I think there is Tom! Heard tonight that some bookie is laying it, and he has the Bulldogs as early favourites to sign Cousins up (sorry, didn't catch which bookie that might have been..... :-k).
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I would take him...at Bendigo only :)
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
ealesy wrote:No, he is 30, maybe if he was 26-27, but he could do too much damage to the culture of the club if he relapses or hasn't got his shit together.
Exactly. Too old.

Seriously, can anyone think of a player who's returned to the game after missing more than a year aged 30+ who's had more than one decent season? Lockett, Carey, Tim Watson, Salmon, Darcy recently....just doesn't seem to happen for guys aged 30+ after being out for over a year.
tom9779 wrote:If there was a betting market, I would lay my money to bricks on him going to Sydney.
I think there is Tom! Heard tonight that some bookie is laying it, and he has the Bulldogs as early favourites to sign Cousins up (sorry, didn't catch which bookie that might have been..... :-k).
Can you imagine Aker's reaction if the bullies signed up Cousins....it would probably be something like:

f****** &%*&#&%&*(*)()(^$#^&)(*^*&%&$$#%**()(*()*& bastards :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Exactly. Too old.

Rocket Eade said today he doesn't want him, so that's the end of that one. :lol:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Knights open to recruiting Cousins

ESSENDON has not yet discussed the possibility of recruiting former West Coast champ Ben Cousins but coach Matthew Knights says the prospect of recruiting a 30-year-old isn’t beyond comprehension.
Knights said his club was “bringing a young group” through and hadn’t yet discussed Cousins when assessing Essendon’s list, but when pressed about the possibility of the Bombers picking up the former Brownlow Medallist the first-year coach left the door ajar.

“We haven’t discussed it at list management whatsoever,” Knights said.
Asked if he would consider recruiting a quality 30-year-old to his club, Knights replied: “I’ve stated that we’re open-minded.
“What I’m about to say has nothing to do with Ben Cousins.
“We’re open-minded about adding to our young list but whoever we added to our list would have to be able to fit the piece in the puzzle considering where we’re taking our football club.
“So therefore we can only deal with that decision when and if those players present themselves.
“As I said, we’re really open-minded as a club and I’m open-minded as a coach to add to this group we’ve already got here but that player would have to fit the right demographic and fit a lot of right criteria.”

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NewsArticle/ ... wsId=62243
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I would *think* about it. Its the club's responsibility to be open minded and not rule anything out when it comes to list development.

I'm a fan of Knights' statement. He is doing the exact right thing.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Got to say, was rather put off by his attitude on TFS. Still a cocky, arrogant son of a bitch.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Staggy wrote:I would *think* about it. Its the club's responsibility to be open minded and not rule anything out when it comes to list development.

Exactly.

The person/s in charge of list management would be derelict of their duty if they don't at the very least give this some consideration
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I am :wink:
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Staggy wrote:I would *think* about it. Its the club's responsibility to be open minded and not rule anything out when it comes to list development.

I agree. PJ said last week we are hoping to play finals next year. A guy like Cousins (for all his faults he is an awesome footballer) could be the difference between playing one or 2 or more.

Another issue would be the fact that we are already looking at a big drop off in terms of losing players of around that age. His impact could make this drop further.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Sismis wrote:

I agree. PJ said last week we are hoping to play finals next year. A guy like Cousins (for all his faults he is an awesome footballer) could be the difference between playing one or 2 or more.

Another issue would be the fact that we are already looking at a big drop off in terms of losing players of around that age. His impact could make this drop further.
It's worth considering, but really, I would rather see the likes of Reimers, Houli, Hocking, Lonergan etc get some real experience in the next three years and be ready for a crack at a flag in 2011/2012. By that time Cousins will be 33/34 and probably getting past it, so in the interim I just don't see the point (apart from all the other obvious risks in getting him in).
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ossie wrote:
Sismis wrote:

It's worth considering, but really, I would rather see the likes of Reimers, Houli, Hocking, Lonergan etc get some real experience in the next three years and be ready for a crack at a flag in 2011/2012. By that time Cousins will be 33/34 and probably getting past it, so in the interim I just don't see the point (apart from all the other obvious risks in getting him in).
I agree. How long until we are right in the "premierships window". probably another couple of years yet. Will Cousins still be around by then? Who knows. Will his body hold up?

To risky and would take away a spot for a much younger player.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

j-mac wrote:How long until we are right in the "premierships window". probably another couple of years yet.
Minimum 4 years - 2012 is the best case scenario.