Polak

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Polak

Post by Megan »

Incredibly surprised this hasn't already been bought up???

Horrified to learn about this tonight, poor guy.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=244975

I feel for him and his family and his missus if he has one, it's a horrible time for them. There is nothing more terrifying then waiting on nature to takes its course with a head injury.

Poor bastard.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Re: Polak

Post by KaaN10 »

Horrible news, hope he gets better.

but.... how can you get hit by a tram..
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I'd be run flat by the first one I came across, we don't have 'em in Tassie so I wouldn't be used to it. They tell me they're very quiet? How long has he been over from WA?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Megan wrote:I'd be run flat by the first one I came across, we don't have 'em in Tassie so I wouldn't be used to it. They tell me they're very quiet? How long has he been over from WA?
Megs, even a dear old "bumpkin" like you would manage to get out of the way of a tram. I keep hearing mixed messages about his condition. They induced him into a coma, but he is stable?
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

It's not hard, even for interstaters like us. See tram track: look right, look left. :idea:

Hope alcohol wasn't a factor, not thatit makes much difference now. What were his team mates doing to let him walk (or stagger/stumble/fall) in front of a tram?

Hope he recovers, regardless of whether he can play footy again or not. Quality of life is the only concern right now. Poor bugger.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Robster, from what I hear he's stable and still induced. They induce the coma to ensure that all activity in the body and brain is kept to nothing/not much, to limit activity, brain and otherwise (I believe).

The fact that they stated there was movement, and that they had hoped to bring him out today but changed plans indicates to me that he had been twitching, which burns up energy he can ill afford to lose ATM if they think this could be medium term. That probably means they'd lightened the coma, discovered he was twitchy as opposed to coming around, and put him back under again.

I really f****** feel for his family.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Megan wrote:Robster, from what I hear he's stable and still induced. They induce the coma to ensure that all activity in the body and brain is kept to nothing/not much, to limit activity, brain and otherwise (I believe).

The fact that they stated there was movement, and that they had hoped to bring him out today but changed plans indicates to me that he had been twitching, which burns up energy he can ill afford to lose ATM if they think this could be medium term. That probably means they'd lightened the coma, discovered he was twitchy as opposed to coming around, and put him back under again.

I really f****** feel for his family.
It's not nice thats for sure. Hopefully, being young and fit is going to work somewhat in his favour.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Unfortunately your age and fitness has nothing to do with how you bounce back from a brain injury.

Just read another article, the twitching may not apply, they were talking about him moving all limbs - I find that a bit hard to believe given what I understand about brain injuries, but I'm not in communication with his neuro so hey. Lets hope they're right. If they were looking at these things so soon after the accident, then hopefully it isn't too bad. The swelling hasn't gotten any worse, which is a good thing. In a fashion, it would be better had he fractured his skull, which I'm assuming he didn't, if the swelling looked like being a problem.

Still. Thoughts are with his family and his missus Alyce, poor things :(
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

sounds really bad.

brain injuries...i hope he recovers.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He has been reported as having bruising to the brain, not bleeding, so if that's the case it's like a very severe concussion.
The coma is to enable control of the intra cranial pressure (icp), the pressure within the skull. You can't stretch the skull to make space, so it's best to reduce the volume within it. The life support will be configured to control his carbon dioxide levels which in turn contributes to a lower icp, they'll keep him very ,mildly dehydrated and well sedated until they choose to change.

Space can be made via a burr hole, to release pressure, but that happens when there's a space occupying bleed. It doesn't sound like that at all.

All limbs moving is good to hear. When the sedation is decreased he'll awaken and notice a tube down his throat, which is uncomfortable. How he responds to reassurances about the tube will determine whether it comes out or whether he is re-sedated. If re-sedated, it would tell me he was agitated, not quite co-operative, impulsive...those sort of things, which are to be expected in the circumstances and may not mean anything other than he's still severely concussed.

Whilst it's only just over 24 hours now, the news seems to portray a reasonable condition (reading between the lines) and sounds promising.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Hope he's alright.

Know his Brother Troy and his Missus through playing and working for PERTH FC,so I hate to think what they're going through with the rest of the Family.

Get well soon Graham.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I really feel for the lad and hope that he can make a recovery.

My first thought was did the hit by Fevola shake him up more than diagnosed and effect his judgement. I think when a player takes a big hit like that its almost foolhardy for him to come back on and then possibly even have a few drinks at the 100 years celebration. Whilst the Fevola incident did not involve the head, his body did take a big shock and there could have been some whiplash effect.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Went to the presser at Punt Rd earlier.
He's improving and may be moved to a ward later tonight or tomorrow.
Not drugged up and not on machines to keep him going or anything (just resting basically).
Opened his eyes briefly this morning and squeezed his brother's hand.
Good news all things considered.

Club haven't spoken to McMahon and Hughes who were with him specifically about the incident but will worry about that later in the week.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

If what's being reported is accurate, brilliant news all 'round, fantastic for him, his family and his missus. Very pleased :mrgreen:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Better to make STEADY but SURE Progress than for it to be too quick.

Take as much time as you need son.

I feel for the TRAM DRIVER as well.He/she would be feeling terrible about a dreadfull accident,which it looks like being.

Just curious,what Tram number goes that way?96?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Ossie wrote:Went to the presser at Punt Rd earlier.
He's improving and may be moved to a ward later tonight or tomorrow.
Not drugged up and not on machines to keep him going or anything (just resting basically).
Opened his eyes briefly this morning and squeezed his brother's hand.
Good news all things considered.

Club haven't spoken to McMahon and Hughes who were with him specifically about the incident but will worry about that later in the week.
WTF are you doing turning up at "pressers" Ozzie? Found a cool job you havent told us about?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Great to hear that everything is heading in the right direction!!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Being reported on the news today that he may not ever make a full recovery. I don't know what that means for his football career, but I hope he is able to resume regular daily life with his family.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

grassy1 wrote:Better to make STEADY but SURE Progress than for it to be too quick.

Take as much time as you need son.

I feel for the TRAM DRIVER as well.He/she would be feeling terrible about a dreadfull accident,which it looks like being.

Just curious,what Tram number goes that way?96?
5 and 64.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.