The Ages Top 50 of all time

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: The Ages Top 50 of all time

Post by BenDoolan »

No Kepler? Disgrace!!
Essendunny
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Bit harsh on Robert Harvey IMO.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Thurgood stiff to miss out I'd say. Sounds like that bloke was a freak. Can't say I saw him play, but what is written about him makes him sound better than 9th best at Essendon.

From the Champions of Essendon on our website:
Many believe he was the greatest footballer of all time. In 1958, football historian Cec Mullen wrote that the 6 feet and 12 stone champion was just that. He was the most spectacular high mark of his time and was an artist in ball control and balance. A brilliant runner, he was extremely fast around the ground and he could get rid of the ball with either foot. He was a magnificent kick - either drop, place or punt.
He came to Essendon in 1892 and quickly established his class and his all round play was undoubtedly the most prominent factor in Essendon's Association premiership successes from 1892 to 1894. He headed the Association goalkickers in 1892 with 56 goals, in 1893 with 63 goals and in 1894 with 62 goals. He was the first player to ever kick over 50 goals. In one game in 1893 he kicked 12 out of the sides 14 goals--a record, and then the next week nine out of 10.

Although he returned in 1898, residential rules stopped him re-joining the Dons until 1899 so he stood out for a year. And then it took him a while to regain his former greatness. He headed the League goalkicking list in 1900 with 25 goals, even though he only played irregularly, and again in 1902 with 33 goals. He was runner up in 1901. He kicked six goals in one game in 1900 and five three times in 1901.

He was an incredibly long kick and one place kick was measured in 1899 to be 107 yards two feet and one inch. He is also reported to have drop kicked 90 yards at practice.

In 1901, he is credited with bringing the premiership to Essendon. In the semi final he kicked five of the sides six goals from centre half forward to win the game. His game was described as one of the finest ever in a League final. Then, in the grand final he kicked half of his team's six goals to be one of the stars of the game. He also was named Champion of the Colony for the third time in 1901.

He only played eight seasons with Essendon and in that time he headed the goalkicking list in every full season he played.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I still can't believe that all these so called experts rate Silvagni so high...he was good, but I still believe that Fletch is that much better :)
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

pretty good result seeing NONE of the judging panel either played or supported(to my knowledge) Essendon.
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

Ben Cousins??? WTF??? Beat all of those "near misses" to the top 50???

Silvagni was a grappler - if he had his time now, he wouldn't get a game. One D. Fletcher has lasted the same length of time and been able to adapt his game to suit the change of interpretation in rules. I very much doubt Silvagni could or would have done the same.

I'm astonished Winnis Imbi wasn't named!!!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

No Tim Watson but Ben Cousins makes the list? Interesting.

The final 10 will be very interesting to see.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Cousins has been a champion, no doubt about it. But better than Watson, Harvey, Flower or Platten? Sounds like the selectors got into Cuzzy's old stash when they decided that.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Paul Kelly over Voss in my opinion.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy_Hill wrote:Paul Kelly over Voss in my opinion.
Now I have to say that that is a tough one to call...still I would rather have Hirdy than either of them if I had to pick one of them (all three would have been nice too :) )
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Wrong thread perhaps Windy?

http://www.bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5849
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Malky wrote:Ben Cousins??? WTF??? Beat all of those "near misses" to the top 50???

Silvagni was a grappler - if he had his time now, he wouldn't get a game. One D. Fletcher has lasted the same length of time and been able to adapt his game to suit the change of interpretation in rules. I very much doubt Silvagni could or would have done the same.

I'm astonished Winnis Imbi wasn't named!!!
Haha, Played footy against him. Him and his brother both play/played for Portland. Not sure if they're still there, because I moved away. His brother is an awesome player!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I thought Collingwood had LOST THEIR MARBLES naming Buckley as their Greatest Ever.Will BOBBY and Co be GUILTY of the same SIN? :roll:
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

And how many premierships did PK Captain?? :roll:

Voss was miles superior as a player and captain and he has the record to prove it. In fact Paul kelly would have had a hard time making it into the starting 4 of the prized midfield that Voss was the No.1 figure in. Kelly was a champion, no doubt, but not a top 50 IMO.

As for SOS, he was the best in his days, the fact he couldnt play the same scragging style today is irrelevant. Was he a better all round player than Fletch? I say no, IMO they are on par, fletch's rebound and kicking penetration are far superior and he creates countless goals from rebounds from the back half, particularly in our 99-01 side where our goal to goal line and link play was so strong, Fletch was the catalyst to countless offensive plays. But, did SOS hold his own at full back against the best in the business more often than Fletch? Yes, he did, he was a better full back in the defensive sense, rarely did his opponants have a day out kicking 6-10 goals consistantly like Fletch has had against him for most of his career. Essendon has frequently had trouble holding power forwards to respectable totals with Fletch at full back, the likes of Carey, Ablet, Locket, and more recently Fev, Buddy, Pav, Brown etc have regularly kicked big scores against us.