Would you rather...?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Would you rather...?

Post by jimmyc1985 »

So far this year, at best only one of the 4 teams we've beaten (Carlton x 2, North, Freo and West Coast) is likely to finish a top 8 side. Freo and West Coast are almost certainly going to finish bottom 4, and one of Carlton or North might squeak into 7th or 8th [but it's unlikely that they'll both finish top 8]. Our run home is pretty reasonable: we play Brisbane, Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, West Coast, Adelaide, Bulldogs and St Kilda.

My question is: would you rather us win, say, 3 more games against poor opposition (like Melbourne, West Coast and Richmond), or would you rather us win only 1-2 games but against good quality opposition (like Collingwood/Brisbane and Bulldogs)?

Personally, i'd like to see us beat at least one genuine top 8 side before the year is out, and i'd happily trade 2 wins against Melbourne/Richmond/West Coast for one win against Bulldogs/Collingwood/Adelaide.
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: Would you rather...?

Post by tom9779 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:So far this year, at best only one of the 4 teams we've beaten (Carlton x 2, North, Freo and West Coast) is likely to finish a top 8 side. Freo and West Coast are almost certainly going to finish bottom 4, and one of Carlton or North might squeak into 7th or 8th [but it's unlikely that they'll both finish top 8]. Our run home is pretty reasonable: we play Brisbane, Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, West Coast, Adelaide, Bulldogs and St Kilda.

My question is: would you rather us win, say, 3 more games against poor opposition (like Melbourne, West Coast and Richmond), or would you rather us win only 1-2 games but against good quality opposition (like Collingwood/Brisbane and Bulldogs)?

Personally, i'd like to see us beat at least one genuine top 8 side before the year is out, and i'd happily trade 2 wins against Melbourne/Richmond/West Coast for one win against Bulldogs/Collingwood/Adelaide.

Honestly I'll just take any win we can get.

However, I would be VERY happy if we won both our perth trips this year, because I think for a long time, the EFC has been woeful at travelling interstate and winning.

A lot depends on injuries and form, you can get brisbane/collingwood (in particular these two are up and down...brown n bradshaw normally kill us, and I aint expecting miracles on saturday night) on a bad day or melb/wc/tiges on a good day.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

You are a very smart guy Jimmy, but I am not so sure this is a smart alternative, too contrived.

We need to rebuild a winning culture and I take any win against weak team - no reason whatsoever to lose again Melbourne and West Coast, we have struggled recently against Richmond and it would be good to win that one also.

For the stronger sides we were competitive against the Doggies round 4 and would have won if McVeigh and Lonergan had not done a hammy in the last quarter and we lost to Adelaide by only 5 point in Adelaide so we should strive to win these two games as well.
Red and Black Forever
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Win any and every game that we play in. To improve, we need to beat the teams we should beat and try and beat those teams above us. The more we win, the more confidence our younger players will develop.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

dont lie Filthy the last straw with Q for you was 1999!!!

Win win win I say!!

I would have liked an extra pick in the top 20 but now that has gone I say win every game and get some momentum going into 2009!!!
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Filthy wrote:I don't recall ever going out to play in a game thinking "we'd lose." If you did, whats the point of playing?

I'm sure our blokes think the same way and our W/L ratio would be heaps better, if not having 10+ players out EVERY WEEK like AndyB said over in the Game shit.

Just don't mention the "Q" word. :wink:

EG How does Selwood play just about game this year and last in his first 2 seasons for the pussies when all our young blokes get hurt just looking at Q? Is there any Club like us as regards young blokes getting hurt? It has to be player management. Losing Myers to a "sore" F****** foot was the last straw for me....FFS. :evil:
Ironically, what has probaby kept Quinn at the club for this long is his work with Hird's foot. He is considered a world expert in the field.

I would trade the remaining 7 wins (including the house derby this week!) for a win in 2 weeks.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Quinn has done some excellent work behind the scenes with players like Lovett too, getting him back on track.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:I don't recall ever going out to play in a game thinking "we'd lose." If you did, whats the point of playing?

I'm sure our blokes think the same way and our W/L ratio would be heaps better, if not having 10+ players out EVERY WEEK like AndyB said over in the Game shit.

Just don't mention the "Q" word. :wink:

EG How does Selwood play just about game this year and last in his first 2 seasons for the pussies when all our young blokes get hurt just looking at Q? Is there any Club like us as regards young blokes getting hurt? It has to be player management. Losing Myers to a "sore" F****** foot was the last straw for me....FFS. :evil:
Haha....surely you can't blame Quinn for that. You have to admit, we haven't done a hamstring since.......well.......who was it?.......McVeigh / Lonergan......or was it Dempsey after? Anyhow, we've had heaps of broken bones, busted knees, rat shit backs, busted shoulders, busted ribs, busted heads (Slattery) and footsies with Neagle and Myers. Shit luck comes into it too.
Essendunny
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Megan wrote:Quinn has done some excellent work behind the scenes with players like Lovett too, getting him back on track.
Quinn is in career best form at the moment.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Filthy wrote:. Losing Myers to a "sore" F****** foot was the last straw for me....FFS. :evil:
HAHAHAHAH last straw? I reckon you could dig up 50 Quinn bashing threads from you easy :D

I agree, something more needs to be done in the fitness department.

Also like to point out tho:

* really youngs guys(light bodies) and older blokes(old bodies) get injured more often....its been our youngsters hardest hit. our list is young and old without a lot in between.
* our draw in the first half of the year was diabolical on the body. stacks of 5 day breaks, playing every time slot imagineable.
* we ran the ball like nothing else til we started breaking down left/right and centre

I think our fitness boys have got our team up to being one of if not the fastest team in the comp...unfortunately there was a toll, and that was plenty of soft tissue injuries(plus a bit of bad luck with a few breaks). I would expect that one year in, they know Knights game plan a bit more, that we should see a much better second year.

Plus all our young guys will be tougher and matchfit for it.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Keep Winning.See how far we can take it and no matter where we finish,DO OUR BLOODY HOMEWORK on what's available in the Draft.Including what's around in MATURE AGED Footballers.21 upwards.

Speaking of good form,CAAAARRRRNNN the RABBITOHS.4 on the trot. :D :D :D :D :D
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

we are 2 games out of the 8!!!

We must win everything
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

It would be nice to see us beat a genuine top 8 team such as Brisbane or Adelaide.
Even last year I think we managed to beat the occasional top team, didn't we?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

billyduckworth wrote:It would be nice to see us beat a genuine top 8 team such as Brisbane or Adelaide.
Even last year I think we managed to beat the occasional top team, didn't we?
Yeah. We beat Sydney and West Coast by 1 point in consecutive weeks, both pretty much on the back of one J Hird. And we beat Adelaide twice, so we had 4 wins against teams that ended up in the finals.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

If we got up this week, it would be out best win of the year.

i'm not that confident, but at least we are going in with winning form.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Hmm,it would tough to match up on the TALL TIMBER.

But Brisbane haven't been that great away from the GABBA.Haven't been that great at all.

Would rather NOT lose to ADELAIDE at Home.Watch for SKY CAVING IN if it happens. :oops: