R16 v Richmond

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

R16 v Richmond

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Sorry to start the thread so early, but i've been watching the Eagles v Tigers game and the news is that Brett Deledio has tweaked his right knee and looks in serious pain. Not sure what the diagnosis is at this stage.

Anyway, i'm sick of losing to these mediocre trolls. Our first half against them earlier this year was close to the worst half of football i've ever seen us play, but we matched them after half time. Richo is under an injury cloud (hamstring, possibly knee tendonitis as well) and it appears Deledio is now too. Time to make it 5 in a row.

EDIT: False alarm on Deledio. Had his knee strapped and came back on playing at full tilt.
brad
Top Up Player

Re: R16 v Richmond

Post by brad »

Essendon supporters had better rock up to the G on Saturday to support the team.

It's an AWAY game I realise BUT the turnout against Carlton a few weeks back was terrible.

We've won 4 in a row and playing a traditional rival on a Saturday afternoon at the G.

GET THERE!
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

If we win this, the game against Collingwood will be huge.. 85,000+?
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Sorry to start the thread so early, but i've been watching the Eagles v Tigers game and the news is that Brett Deledio has tweaked his right knee and looks in serious pain. Not sure what the diagnosis is at this stage.

Anyway, i'm sick of losing to these mediocre trolls. Our first half against them earlier this year was close to the worst half of football i've ever seen us play, but we matched them after half time. Richo is under an injury cloud (hamstring, possibly knee tendonitis as well) and it appears Deledio is now too. Time to make it 5 in a row.

EDIT: False alarm on Deledio. Had his knee strapped and came back on playing at full tilt.
Ah just saw the edit... was about to say, isn't he still playing?
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

we better turn up as switched on as we were last night.

admittedly the eagles were terrible - but the Tigers have a hell of a lot of pace and back themselves taking risks.

still - we are playing our best footy in a long time - so should be a good contest.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

tonysoprano wrote:we better turn up as switched on as we were last night.

admittedly the eagles were terrible - but the Tigers have a hell of a lot of pace and back themselves taking risks.

still - we are playing our best footy in a long time - so should be a good contest.
Couldn't agree more...

I reckon it should be a fairly high scoring shootout ala Scum rd3 and I reckon if that is the case, we are definite chance to get up :)
Sirvass36
Top Up Player

Post by Sirvass36 »

I think we will start slight favourates and deservadly so. Hope Richo doesnt play. The way he gets round the ground and competes is great for a big man - Maybe Laycock should try take a leaf out of his or Hilles book.
If Welsh can keep Foley down and Stanton and Spike hold their form against the likes of Cotchin and Deledio we are more than capable of matching it with them fro run. Riewoldt had a day out against the Weagkes but I cant see him doing that on Fletch. Nathan Brown always dangerous - maybe Slatts or Nash can pick him up....
Should be a great game and Im looking forward to a big day out at the G :)
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

First of the "Mini Grand Finals" for this year.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

This game, I'm looking forward to it so much! Two young, developing sides going head to head at each other will be great to see. I'm expecting a high scoring free flowing, entertaining game. I think we will get thec choccies this week. 5 in a row who would've thought!!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Saturday Late showers. Windy. Min 8 Max 14

Might make scoring goals from set shots and from the 50 a wee bit difficult.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

F111 wrote:Saturday Late showers. Windy. Min 8 Max 14

Might make scoring goals from set shots and from the 50 a wee bit difficult.
You cannot really rely on a weather forecast until 3 days prior.(source neighbour who worked for bom).

I think with our grunt/advantage in contested possies, if its wet weather, it aint such a bad thing, other than the quality of the game to go down.

My problem this weekend is finding a telly to watch the game....every afl pub in syd is going to have the doggies/cats match.....

maybe my little quiet local if noone is about....
Sirvass36
Top Up Player

Post by Sirvass36 »

Cant believe Richmond are currently favorates with TAB sportsbet at 1.75. Essendon 2.00! Considering redrawing on my mortgage at those odds...They are coming back from Perth, Richo is only 50/50 at best, and I just think we are playing better. Sure they beat the Weagles well but lets be honest the Weagles are a joke this year and should collect their first spoon. My view is the more you put on the more you collect here :)
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Sirvass36 wrote:Cant believe Richmond are currently favorates with TAB sportsbet at 1.75. Essendon 2.00! Considering redrawing on my mortgage at those odds...They are coming back from Perth, Richo is only 50/50 at best, and I just think we are playing better. Sure they beat the Weagles well but lets be honest the Weagles are a joke this year and should collect their first spoon. My view is the more you put on the more you collect here :)

I think too often we disrespect Ricmond (not always unjustified) - but they are also playing pretty well and have had some excellent wins and played pretty well in some of their losses and notably their tie v WB this year. They are higher on the ladder and have had the wood over us in the last couple of times we've met, so deserve their favouritism. but we do have an extra day break on them - so hopefully will exploit that later in the game. However, as always - a good start, a good middle, and a good finish is a must in AFL football these days. If we are not switched on for 4 qtrs they will burn us, and a lot of the progress made over the last month or so will be undone.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Big factor will be the weather. We cannot play the lightening handball, precision pass game if it is pissing down. I hope that Knighta has a plan B which revolves around pushing the ball forward anyway you can.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

tom9779 wrote:
My problem this weekend is finding a telly to watch the game....every afl pub in syd is going to have the doggies/cats match.....

maybe my little quiet local if noone is about....
come for a drive down to Goulburn :p the missus is a Richmond fan... ads up to a fun day whatever the result haha
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

[quote="tonysopranoIf we are not switched on for 4 qtrs they will burn us, and a lot of the progress made over the last month or so will be undone.[/quote]

This is crucial. Against Brisbane, one or two lapses in concentration (noticeably the first 10-15 minutes after half time) almost cost us the match. A young side, of course, will always have some lapses, but we can't afford TOO many.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Does the house of pain principle still exist? Also they played the day after us.

McVeigh and Lovett out will hurt our chances. I suppose I didn't really need to say that.

If it is wet/windy, I'd drop Neagle.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Sirvass36
Top Up Player

Post by Sirvass36 »

Lovett and McVeigh out damn it.
how comes in? Dyson & Hislop maybe? is Houli still injured?
Welsh, Watson, and Stants all really need to play well now if we gonna win this
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Shower or two, windy, 15 is the forecast.

We are f*cked. We just don't play good wet weather footy.

Out: McVeigh Lovett
In: Dyson Atkinson

Neagle keeps his spot only because we have no-one else to replace him! :oops: :lol:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

j-mac wrote: If it is wet/windy, I'd drop Neagle.
And replace him with who exactly...have you seen our injury list?

Also he loves the contested footy, weather football will not worry him, he crash packs, cause contests and give opportunities to crumbing forwards.

Idiotic to suggest dropping him at all, even more so when you take into account our injury list, even more so when you consider the way he plays the game.

Sure if he was simply a lead up forward, who relies on taking marks in his hands out the front of his body, and is not good below his legs, drop him if you can for a wet weather footy game. But he is a very different type of forward, who wet weather would not really affect all that much in my opinion.