Dean Solomon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Re: Dean Solomon

Post by Megan »

Bomberflyer, Filth, I stand by what I said.

It was dirty. No doubt.

About the presso - you're right I don't know him. So I can only base it on what I DO know - that he's a guy who has gone thru his career with Freo with a pretty sad rep as going a bit overboard when it comes to going hard at the ball - or player in this case (no I don't follow Freo's games carefully, I'm basing this on his tribunial rep) and made a public apology when he knew he was toast.

Honestly? Had I heard that he'd dropped in to see Ling at the hosp and done it there and then to him and his family, I'd be all for it. But publicly, it came across as an arse covering exercise. Show remorse from the start and hope they go easy.

I missed Solly at Essendon and was upset to see him go. He was one of my faves, esp. because of how he behaved regarding the Rama thing, Filth. But I think he needs someone standing over him, a Sheedy type, to make sure that his aggression and passion is directed properly, and I don't feel that they're doing that in Freo and it's reflecting poorly on him.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

bomberflyer wrote:Dear Bloggers,

Fair dinkum - the guy where's his heart on his sleeve and he crossed the line on this occasion - no doubt - but if you knew him like I do you would understand he is very remorseful. Yes - Ling and Solly are mates (which makes him even more disappointed with his actions). But, for supporters of the Club he played 170-odd games with (and a Premiership as well) to lay the boots in with cheap shots and bragging at how beneficial the trade is for Essendon are simply taking the easy option. Neither of his trades will be as good as Solly at his best - and if you disagree then I'm happy to take your money at the end of their careers.

At the end of the day he plays for his Club with passion and if his team mates at Fremantle played with as much passion and desperation then maybe he wouldn't need to over-do the aggression (or be as aggressive at the contest in general). His statistics at Fremantle are in their Club's top 5 and better than at any time at Essendon, so I can only assume you have watched his career at Freo based on his last match only.

Solly - all the best mate - serve your penalty - and play your 200th next year!!! That'll be 200 more than the vocal-novices on here!!!

Regards,

J. Fisher
I didn't say he wasn't remorseful - he sounded genuinely contrite to me. There's no basis in fact for you to say that Reimers or Houli will not be better than Solomon was at his best - that's a statement of opinion on your part. Even if i were to make a bet that Houli/Reimers will be better than Solly, don't be so pretentious as to display some false bravado in saying that you'll be here in 10 years or so when Reimers and Houli are done to take my money, because chances are at least one of us will have gone, or we'll both have forgotten about the bet.

Solomon doesn't play with passion anymore; he's a cheap-shot thug, repeat offender who either hits blokes when they're not expecting it (like Ling, or Roe last year) or, if they are expecting it he takes out blokes smaller than him (like Monfries or Brent Harvey). He's been this way for five or six years. A guy like Hird played with passion; a guy like Solomon only displays passionate disdain for the welfare of his team by regularly getting suspended and giving away free kicks.

He's been ok since he went to Freo, but it isn't much of an achievement being amongst Freo's better players over the last two years - there's been Pavlich, Bell, then nothing. His statistics have improved because he was playing deep in defence for us in his later years, whereas for Freo he plays further up the ground; this does not mean in itself that his performances have improved commensurately. I have watched quite a bit of his career at Freo, and saw just about every match he played for Essendon.

You're no less a vocal novice than anyone else here mate. Have your opinion, but do your credibility a favour and save the ad hominem comments.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Ah Jimmy, thankyou. You put it so much nicer than I would.

"Ad hominem" :lol: Sounds good, wish i knew what the f*** it meant.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Bloody SILLY Solly.

Could have pinched the handpass and set something up for Freo.But FREO's Mindset was on THE MAN,not the Ball.So,he's gone for about a Month at least.And I daresay,it's the SEASON and his AFL Career.

Inglorious way to end.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Sad to see the Bomber premiership star end his career potentially by this, unfortunately people will remember him more for this indescretion now rather than what a fantastic tough player he has been since 1998.

Mark Johnson's career looks certain to be over as well.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

He will play for at least another year, probably more.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Anyway i just wanted to stick up for a mate who only really cares about his mates and feels bad for what he did - but gets pidgeon holed. There have been EFC players who have been hardly innocent (eg. Long, Wallis) in recent times.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberflyer wrote:Anyway i just wanted to stick up for a mate who only really cares about his mates and feels bad for what he did - but gets pidgeon holed. There have been EFC players who have been hardly innocent (eg. Long, Wallis) in recent times.
And that's fair enough - got no problem with that at all. He'll always be a premiership hero and highly regarded at our club. It's just that he's let himself down a fair bit with some of his tribunal appearances.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

bomberflyer wrote:Anyway i just wanted to stick up for a mate who only really cares about his mates and feels bad for what he did - but gets pidgeon holed. There have been EFC players who have been hardly innocent (eg. Long, Wallis) in recent times.
...And GFC players too. Blimey. The amount of whining coming from Cats fans is embarrassing. You'd be forgiven for thinking none of their players had been up at the tribuneral this year...

:roll:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Sad to see the Bomber premiership star end his career potentially by this, unfortunately people will remember him more for this indescretion now rather than what a fantastic tough player he has been since 1998.

Mark Johnson's career looks certain to be over as well.
In the West Australian this morning....Solly's manager is in the midst of negotiating a new TWO year deal.

Living in WA, I get to see a lot of the Dockers on the box and Solly is regularly in their best players.

Jimmy...I'm not sure what you mean when you say he doesn't play with passion anymore....his second and third efforts could be used as coaching examples for young players.

Apart from his troubles with the MRP/Tribunal, he has been one of Freo's best players in the time he has been there.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

robbie67 wrote:Ah Jimmy, thankyou. You put it so much nicer than I would.

It is exactly what bomberflyer's argument was Robbie just know that :lol:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bomberdonnie wrote:
robbie67 wrote:Ah Jimmy, thankyou. You put it so much nicer than I would.

It is exactly what bomberflyer's argument was Robbie just know that :lol:
from dictionary.com:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
ad ho·mi·nem Audio Help /æd ˈhɒmənəm‑ˌnɛm, ɑd-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad hom-uh-nuhm‑nem, ahd-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. appealing to one's prejudices, emotions, or special interests rather than to one's intellect or reason.
2. attacking an opponent's character rather than answering his argument.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

Given 8 weeks

They're reporting it as "worse than Barry Hall's hit" - they ommitted the fact that Solomon had a stack of carry over points and a 30% loading.

I think he's a bit stiff... deserved no more than Hall's hit given it was in play... but still, you don't want to see these type of incidents.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

A lot you here are just tabloid press suckers.
Hang on a sec. I happened to have seen it live and I thought then, as I do now, it was reckless and dangerous in the extreme. I do think Solly was genuinely sorry but you cant have blokes running around doing that to the opposition. How we we feel if it had been a flying leaping elbow on one of our players ? I venture we'd all be spitting chips.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

8 weeks is big - exceeds what i thought he'd get, even allowing for his very poor record over the last two seasons. 8 weeks for an elbow to the face brings back some memories, though....well, at least it brings back some memories for most of us bar Peter Caven :lol:. What a brute Plugger was - caved some bloke's head in, got reported knowing he was going to be out for a long stretch, and went on to kick 11 goals and win the 'Aints the match.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Hall actually got 10 weeks so it wasn't a bigger penalty at all

I reckon Solly would wake up everyday wishing that he was still wearing red and black... Who could blame him I guess!!!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:8 weeks is big - exceeds what i thought he'd get, even allowing for his very poor record over the last two seasons. 8 weeks for an elbow to the face brings back some memories, though....well, at least it brings back some memories for most of us bar Peter Caven :lol:. What a brute Plugger was - caved some bloke's head in, got reported knowing he was going to be out for a long stretch, and went on to kick 11 goals and win the 'Aints the match.
Lockett got 8 weeks for that effort. Some of his best work that day, mouthing off at the Sydney faithful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-R-8Nl6X68
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I hate to say it, but Solly's incident was worse that Halls. Both were equally stupid and equally dangerous, but IMO, Solly deserves what he got...now is he going to appeal or take his medicine as he said he would in the press conference...

I personally hope he takes his medicine on this occasion, but I guess that if the club appeals, it is a different matter...