still confident

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

still confident

Post by tom9779 »

even losing two premier mids in mcveigh and lovett, even with a injury list that can almost fill a team on its own.

i still reckon we can give it to that two bit, go nowhere bunch of losers known as richmond.
like kicking carlton out of the 8, putting brisbanes top 4 out of reach, i hope we help consign the tigers to ninth again.

tipping us, and i might lay down a nifty on us for the win.(the odds are good) caaarn the dons.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: still confident

Post by andrewb »

I don't think that Reiwoldt and Hughes will be as dominant as Fev, Pav, Brown, Bradshaw, Richo, Buddy, etc. have been. I'm a bit worried about Nathan Brown but I think NLM or Nash should be able to at least contain him.

If Welsh can do to Foley what he's done to Black, Power, Kerr, Judd, Mitchell over the last few weeks then we should at least break even in the middle. Laycock vs Pattison will be a laugh if nothing else but Hille should beat Simmonds in the ruck. Jordan McMahon has had some form lately - need to keep him, Cotchin and Deledio under control as they have the footskills to hurt us.

Where they'll really struggle is trying to control our tall forwards. If we are rotating three or four all game then it's going to be really hard for them to stop us with Polak out.

To cover the loss of McVeigh and Lovett we'll need get reasonable output from Atkinson and Dyson, rotate Gus through the guts more often, try to get a little bit more out of Sammy Lonergan at the stoppages and go through Stanton / Nash / Rama as often as possible when going forward.
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

I have to say im reasonably confident. Richo out is a much bigger loss to them than Lovett and McVeigh is to us, as much as McVeigh in particular will be missed in our midfield. Richo has consistantly been the matchwinner in just about every recent loss to Richmond.

On recent form, Welsh should be able to contain Foley, Stanton and Johnson head to head would be nice, with Stantons improved defensive output and consistant ball winning ability, this should be a great contest. I think we can afford to go head to head with Tuck (Watson), Cotchin (Reimers or Lonergon). without any major tags.

I am concerned about the pace and creativity of Tambling, not sure if we really have anyone who can go with him if he starts to fire up and with Lovett out, no one really stands out that can hurt him going the other way.

Hille vs Simmonds should be a win to us in Hilles current form.

A major factor will be the weather, looks like its gonna be wet and windy, this will almost eliminate our advantage of our stronger marking forward line and the result may come down to the output of small forwards. If it does, we could be in trouble, I think Brown and Deludio are far more reliable goal scorers than Jetta and Monfries as good as they have been recently. I'm just not sure NLM, Nash or Rama can quell the influence of those two, so we will need more supply to win in wet conditions and it will be pretty close.

If its dry, I think we can win comfortably, we have so many marking options up forward and the crumbers to handle anything to hit the deck. I dont see Reiwoldt and Hughs being major threats and expect our tall backs in Fletch and Ryder should be able to contest pretty well and take some grabs in defence to deny Richmonds dangerous crumbers opportunity.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Chris wrote:I am concerned about the pace and creativity of Tambling, not sure if we really have anyone who can go with him if he starts to fire up and with Lovett out, no one really stands out that can hurt him going the other way.
Tambling isn't a bad player but he's not really damaging at all. Gets a lot of kicks up around the wing and if he wants to get them up there, I say let him have it. He is the least of our problems.

I agree with you on the Brown/Deledio one though, they are both very clever players and Deledio is one of the best kicks in the comp in my opinion, so Nash/Slattery/NLM who ever gets the job will have to be switched on.

That said, I think we can beat them. As long as Kayne Pettifer doesn't do anything. Is he playing? Cos he always kicks 6.0 from six kicks or something stupid against us. And it drives me nuts cos he's such a hack!
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Ossie wrote:
Chris wrote:I am concerned about the pace and creativity of Tambling, not sure if we really have anyone who can go with him if he starts to fire up and with Lovett out, no one really stands out that can hurt him going the other way.
Tambling isn't a bad player but he's not really damaging at all. Gets a lot of kicks up around the wing and if he wants to get them up there, I say let him have it. He is the least of our problems.

I agree with you on the Brown/Deledio one though, they are both very clever players and Deledio is one of the best kicks in the comp in my opinion, so Nash/Slattery/NLM who ever gets the job will have to be switched on.

That said, I think we can beat them. As long as Kayne Pettifer doesn't do anything. Is he playing? Cos he always kicks 6.0 from six kicks or something stupid against us. And it drives me nuts cos he's such a hack!
Whilst he hasn't ever kicked 6 he does enjoy playing against us. He had the most amount of kicks he's ever had in a game in Sheeds and Hirds farewell do. Earlier in that season he kicked 3 goals against us from 15 touches and in '06 he had 20 touches and kicked 1.5
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

boncer34 wrote:
Ossie wrote:

Whilst he hasn't ever kicked 6 he does enjoy playing against us. He had the most amount of kicks he's ever had in a game in Sheeds and Hirds farewell do. Earlier in that season he kicked 3 goals against us from 15 touches and in '06 he had 20 touches and kicked 1.5
I'll take it if he kicks 1.5 again. He's a hack though.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Pettifer's not named. Shouldn't be a problem :D
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

We will win and win easy. I expect another pathetic richmond performance. A lot of people jump off very quickly if there are injuries, I think we can easily cover McVeigh and Lovett, but it is always better with them but its not the end of the world. 5 goal plus win im tipping % % %.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Obviously I have nothing better to do than come up with this:

Last Time
=========

Form
-----
Ess: Thumped 5 matches straight & coming back from Sydney in one of our worst performances & definitely our worst 2nd 1/2.
Ric: Previous 5 were: Beat Freo at Subi by 10 goals, drew with the Dogs, lost to the Dawks by 2 goals, lost to the 'aints by 3, & lost to Geelong by 5 goals.

Best Players
------------
Ess: Hille, McVeigh
Ric: Foley, Deledio, Richo

Summary
-------
Gave them an 8 goal headstart(continuing where we left off the week before), & ended up going down by 38.
9 of our players had less than 10 possessions, whilst they had none.
The only upside was Hille dominating the Ruck, McVeigh doing his usual, & a good 3rd qtr.
The following week we nearly upset the Crows over there (who then beat the Tiges at the G by 50).
The Tiges followed up by losing to the Swans up there by 82.

This Time
=========

Form
----
Ess: 4 wins against meagre opposition although anything outside the top 4 or 5 isn't anything special.
The pick of the wins: beating Carlscum after they easily accounted for the filth(who had beaten the Cats a few weeks previously).
Ric: After getting pumped by the Crows, the Tiges just beat the Dees & Port, lost to the Scum by 30, & pumped WC by 77.

Changes From Last Time
----------------------
In: Lucas, Rama, Peverill, Laycock, Atkinson, Dyson
Out: McVeigh, Lovett, Winderlich, Hislop, Myers, Daniher

In: McGuane, Morton, Hughes, Connors, Polo
Out: Richo, Pettifer, King, Hyde, Thursfield

Who Will Win?
=============
Both teams have their issues. If we can put together 4 qtrs of effort then we'll win easily.
If the Tiges think that the WC game means they're any good then they might put in a shocker.
Will Wallace coach? & if he doesn't will that hinder or help the Tiges?

The difference between then & now is:
-------------------------------------
We are playing far better now mainly due to accountability, & the structure that Lucas has provided since his return.
McVeigh is a huge loss(we should be able to cover Lovett), although the Hille/Welsh combo is functioning nicely.
No Richo cancels out our losses anyway.
Barring the bye last week, the Tiges haven't shown anything too flash in recent weeks whereas last time they had some reasonable performances against quality.
They also have 1 less day to prepare after coming back from Subi.

Dons by about 3 goals.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Deledio was a late withdrawal.