would you be in favour?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
brad
Top Up Player

would you be in favour?

Post by brad »

of the club saying, okay Lovett you've done the wrong thing, missed a week (and we lost) BUT with the injuries we've copped over the last week we're going to struggle to field a side against the Pies.

YOU HAVE TO PLAY and help us win the game against the Collingwood. We can't afford to have fit players of your calibre sitting in the stands.

I myself can't see it happening but would rather this be the case than giving games to someone off the rookie list who haven't earnt or deserving of a game either.

IF Andrew's attitude between now and the end of the season in regards to EVERYTHING football (including training) isn't 100% then they could then decide to put him on the trade table.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Re: would you be in favour?

Post by KaaN10 »

No.

I rather play someone who puts his club before having nights out.

Of course until Lovett serves his full 2 week suspension.
Last edited by KaaN10 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

No dice.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I would rather see players penalised financially rather than penalising the team. Slug 10% of their salary for any transgressions of the club's code of conduct or breach of serious team rules. What would the club do if McVeigh slept in on a training session during Grand Final week?
Essendunny
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

If Lovett approached Knights and the leadership group and said "look, I realise what I did was wrong. I've learnt my lesson - if it happens again, I'm happy for the club to trade me. If you want to select me against Collingwood, I'll give the team my everything" - I'd happily let him play. At the end of the day, a two game suspension is not going to prevent him from stuffing up again. Why make the team and supporters suffer? Chances are if he doesn't pull his finger out regarding his off-field behaviour he's gone anyway.

In summing up - if Lovett got on the front foot and said something along the lines of the above, I'd let him play.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Hail Jesus! I agree with Gringo!

I feel it would look a bit like going back on our word. However, if he showed suitable remorse... the team is suffering for his behaviour.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

To penalise the whole team was stupid IMHO. The punishment should have been financial. A bit late now though.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

I'm comfortable with the punishment. What I love with the EFC is you know where you stand. It's not the first time he's done it either. It's Lovett who is responsible for putting us into this position.
Bombers till' I die
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I honestly think it probably won't matter.

Collingwood are a damn good side this year...ok they dropped a game last week, so they are going to be pumped to make amends this week,. They have a day's break on us and desperately need the win.

Obviously I hope for and would expect a much better performance from the dons than the disaster that was Anzac Day.

I am also in favour of playing new kids against the pies, you cannot buy experience playing in front of 80K plus fans.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

No...let him serve the suspension as that was the penalty assessed by The Leadership Group. They knew the potential ramifications when they made the decision and were obviously comfortable with it.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

You go out on the Juice when you're not supposed to,count yourself lucky you aren't SACKED.

Most other jobs when you are FOUND OUT would hand you a DCM,Lovett shouldn't complain about 2 weeks.COP IT SWEET!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:I would rather see players penalised financially rather than penalising the team. Slug 10% of their salary for any transgressions of the club's code of conduct or breach of serious team rules. What would the club do if McVeigh slept in on a training session during Grand Final week?
=D>
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

[quote="BenDoolan"]I would rather see players penalised financially rather than penalising the team. Slug 10% of their salary for any transgressions of the club's code of conduct or breach of serious team rules. What would the club do if McVeigh slept in on a training session during Grand Final week?[/quote]

I'd call a F****** ambulance cos chances are the bloke would be dead.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

Financial penalty is a cop out IMO.
Bombers till' I die
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

It would be very difficult to get financial penalties past the players union I would have thought. Besides, the last thing that you want is for someone to be under financial duress as a result of a slip up.

Would your employer fine you $10k if you failed to turn up to work?

I wouldn't be in favour. Our on-field discipline has been as good as it has ever been this year and apart from Lovett our off-field discipline has been sensational for such a young group. It's a testament to Lloyd's off-field leadership skills. (Note: I'm going to run that Lloyd captaincy poll again at the end of the season and I think there will be vastly different results).
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

andrewb wrote:It would be very difficult to get financial penalties past the players union I would have thought. Besides, the last thing that you want is for someone to be under financial duress as a result of a slip up.

I wouldn't be in favour. Our on-field discipline has been as good as it has ever been this year and apart from Lovett our off-field discipline has been sensational for such a young group. It's a testament to Lloyd's off-field leadership skills. (Note: I'm going to run that Lloyd captaincy poll again at the end of the season and I think there will be vastly different results).
Andrew,

In regards to your first comment, you can't be seriously saying that professional footballers would be hard up because of a financial penalty...sure, they might have commitments, but for f**** sake to say that they would be under financial duress...you must be smoking something really good (or really bad...) #-o

Having said that, I do agree with suspension...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I would rather see players penalised financially rather than penalising the team. Slug 10% of their salary for any transgressions of the club's code of conduct or breach of serious team rules. What would the club do if McVeigh slept in on a training session during Grand Final week?[/quote]

I'd call a F****** ambulance cos chances are the bloke would be dead.
[/quote]
LOL, true!
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

andrewb wrote:It would be very difficult to get financial penalties past the players union I would have thought. Besides, the last thing that you want is for someone to be under financial duress as a result of a slip up.

No, but it wouldn't suspend me for a couple of days with pay either.

In fact, the employer (AFL) fined James Hird (the employee) $20k for an indescretion off the field. What's the difference?
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

No. Give whoever earns it on the training track a run instead... This year's a rebuilding year, so they say. Finals are out of the question. For a kid like Magin, Chartres etc to run out in front of 80K fans will be something they won't forget. IMO, allowing Lovett (A repeat offender), a game would be showing weakness from a coaching point of view. West Coke are a good example of a club that lets misdemeanors slide... I hope Knighta holds his nerve.

Tradebait at season's end? I hate to say it as I love watching Lovett play, but possibly. At this point in time, his career is poised rather precariously. We've all seen what he can do. He has the tricks to go on and become one of the greats of the the game if he applies himself. But on the other hand. He might wind up being a troubled talent that never really achieves anything. Definitely something to ponder at season's end if there's a brilliant offer on the trade table IMO...

:(
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Knights has already come out and said there is no way that Lovett will play

Was very happy to see him say this and the guy has impressed me a lot over the last 6 or so weeks... Very excited to see where he can take this group!!