REJOICE QUINN HATERS!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
hop
Club Captain

Re: REJOICE QUINN HATERS!!

Post by hop »

This news is not entirely surprising given the amount of injuries and the lack of recovery we have had to sustain this year. The difference this time around is that he (Quinn) has lost his two champions in Sheedy and Hird.

Knights is nothing if not professional. The right decision has been made irrespective of whether you believe the club spin or the reality.

Quinn will be the first of probably a half dozen or more under-performers who will be shown the door at the end of season - and for this alone I am grateful.

The club now has to review and search for the best people available to manage training, performance, injuries and recovery.

Onwards and upwards EFC.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i opened this thread just to see filthy's reply.

hmmm so now, who does the club recruit to help us get a better run with injuries?
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Wasn't your birthday today by any chance was it Filthy?

He's been there for a long time, so it was probably the right time to move on. I too subscribe to the theory that a preportion of our injuries are Dome related, am happy to be proven wrong.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Woo hoo vingertje vingertje vingertje =D> =D> =D>
Your email suggests if your IQ is half mine you must have copied from someone else.
Bruce Francis response to Daniel Harford 13 Jan 2015
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

CameronClayton wrote:I am actually glad to see him go, not because the club has gotten rid of it's easy target scape goat, but because it will prove once & for all next season when we get another raft of S/T injuries, that it is the Dome surface, not the High Performance coach, which is to blame for our OTT S/T injuries. Has Fletch ever played a game there & not been proppy after the game, or missed the following week?

Filthy, you have gotten your way, but I bet you a million bucks (or a slab of beer) that we are still one of the worse clubs for S/T injuries in 2009.

Quinn, thanks for healing up Hirdy properly, & being part of that great 2000 side.
I used to think that too, still slightly agree with it, but the saints and Dogs barely have a soft tissue injury this year and they have had more games at the Dome. I think for us, it was the 4 consecutive 6-day breaks that killed us.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Rossoneri wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:I am actually glad to see him go, not because the club has gotten rid of it's easy target scape goat, but because it will prove once & for all next season when we get another raft of S/T injuries, that it is the Dome surface, not the High Performance coach, which is to blame for our OTT S/T injuries. Has Fletch ever played a game there & not been proppy after the game, or missed the following week?

Filthy, you have gotten your way, but I bet you a million bucks (or a slab of beer) that we are still one of the worse clubs for S/T injuries in 2009.

Quinn, thanks for healing up Hirdy properly, & being part of that great 2000 side.
I used to think that too, still slightly agree with it, but the saints and Dogs barely have a soft tissue injury this year and they have had more games at the Dome. I think for us, it was the 4 consecutive 6-day breaks that killed us.
Well I reckon the draw at the start of the season did us no favours & if all our hammys did occur in the first 4 rounds, there must be a link there. I know we played at least 2 of our first 4 at the Dome.

Filth, any explanation about no hammys since R4? Someone must be doing something right.

Our last 3 of the year are at the Dome; if we get any hammys in R20 - 22 when players should be at their fittest, then I reckon I'll get a few more converted.

Older players definitely feel the pinch after a Dome game & need a full 7 days to recover; Hird has already said this in his book & I'm sure Fletch would agree - that dodgy groin of his always seems to play up after a Dome game.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

I know I stirred you about it yesterday, but I actually agree with you on this topic Filty. Cannot wait for change to occur!
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

CameronClayton wrote:Well I reckon the draw at the start of the season did us no favours & if all our hammys did occur in the first 4 rounds, there must be a link there. I know we played at least 2 of our first 4 at the Dome.

Filth, any explanation about no hammys since R4? Someone must be doing something right.

Our last 3 of the year are at the Dome; if we get any hammys in R20 - 22 when players should be at their fittest, then I reckon I'll get a few more converted.

Older players definitely feel the pinch after a Dome game & need a full 7 days to recover; Hird has already said this in his book & I'm sure Fletch would agree - that dodgy groin of his always seems to play up after a Dome game.
Would you admit though CC that the Dome surface has improved steadily over the last, say, 3-4 seasons? No arguments from me that the surface was a disaster zone for the first couple years after it opened, but i think it has gradually improved and the management are getting better at producing a surface that is conducive to good, injury-free footy. It's come a fair way from the patchwork quilt, rolled mud days of 2000-2003, and there was an article in The Age a few weeks ago detailing how much less grass gets replaced per year now as opposed to the Dome's early days. They now leave the roof open more often to expose the grass to natural conditions, which helps to allow the grass to grow more naturally; starting as of this year, they bought hydroponic lights which are lowered above the turf and stimulate grass growth by warming the soil underneath.

I'm not a turf scientist, but i think they've closed the gap on the quality of the Dome surface vis-a-vis other surfaces a fair bit over the journey to a point now where it's harder to argue that the Dome is a material factor in injuries. I also reckon clubs themselves recognised the problem early on and have gotten better at tailoring their rehabilitation after playing matches at the Dome.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:Well I reckon the draw at the start of the season did us no favours & if all our hammys did occur in the first 4 rounds, there must be a link there. I know we played at least 2 of our first 4 at the Dome.

Would you admit though CC that the Dome surface has improved steadily over the last, say, 3-4 seasons? No arguments from me that the surface was a disaster zone for the first couple years after it opened, but i think it has gradually improved and the management are getting better at producing a surface that is conducive to good, injury-free footy. It's come a fair way from the patchwork quilt, rolled mud days of 2000-2003, and there was an article in The Age a few weeks ago detailing how much less grass gets replaced per year now as opposed to the Dome's early days. They now leave the roof open more often to expose the grass to natural conditions, which helps to allow the grass to grow more naturally; starting as of this year, they bought hydroponic lights which are lowered above the turf and stimulate grass growth by warming the soil underneath.

I'm not a turf scientist, but i think they've closed the gap on the quality of the Dome surface vis-a-vis other surfaces a fair bit over the journey to a point now where it's harder to argue that the Dome is a material factor in injuries. I also reckon clubs themselves recognised the problem early on and have gotten better at tailoring their rehabilitation after playing matches at the Dome.
Agree with all this.

There is no doubt that the surface is far better now than what it was. You hardly see anyone slip over these days, and clubs who play there more than us, haven't got an injury list like we do. In fact, some of the players on our list - Neagle, Gumbleton, Dempsey, Johns, Daniher, Lee, Hislop and Hocking haven't set foot on the surface (or have on a couple of occasions)and they have had chronic injuries all year. Can't blame the Dome there.

I used to be a big critic of the scheissenhausen surface, but I cannot see a problem with it anymore.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

The slipperiness has improved, but it is still hard packed sand built over a concrete car park. A few on here are completely disregarding what Hird said in his book about how sore his legs were after a Dome game compared to other grounds.

No offence, but I take more notice of a champion player of the club who has nothing to gain by slagging off the Dome, than others. And I'm sure Fletch would agree.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I had heard that Quinn had been told he had a job at Essendon for as long as he wanted, while Sheedy and Hird were still there.

A year after the both walked out the doors of Windy Hill he is "pursuing other career options".

Boning if ever I've seen one.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

There's not many things more certain than change. Change leads to change and Quinn was due after Sheedy and Hird left. It's time.

If the ground surface is involved, and many of our injured haven't played at the Dome, then it must be Windy Hill! :shock: 8) :lol: :wink:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote:There's not many things more certain than change. Change leads to change and Quinn was due after Sheedy and Hird left. It's time.

If the ground surface is involved, and many of our injured haven't played at the Dome, then it must be Windy Hill! :shock: 8) :lol: :wink:
Yeah, a lot have succumbed at training.
Essendunny
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Hail, hail for the King is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Good news, I guess.

I havn't got anything against Quinn personally, but there is no doubt that the current situation is not acceptable, and the buck stops at the top.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Too many SOFT TISSUE Injuries did him in,in the end.

Pity HORSBURGH didn't have the stomach to simply State the Bleeding Obvious.

HE LIED AGAIN!

Still,if we're comfortable with him as CHAIRMAN,.......I'm NOT.

SOD OFF RAY! :evil:
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Let him go back to athletics and ruin a few more promising up an comers before the next Olympics just like the rest of his ilk in the world of track and field have been doing for years and years.

I've said this before but the withdrawal of Jana Rawlinson and now Nathan Deakes right on the eve of the Olympics has just further reinforced what I said. The attrition rate in athletics is absolutely apalling, but as I said previously you only hear about the really high profile ones. Clearly something is drastically wrong with the training methods used in the world of athletics so PLEASE Esasendon DO NOT hire another athletics based fitness advisor again.

And just a closing observation from moi re Quinn. I guess he now knows a little of how Fredo felt after his mother died ... the metaphorical bulletin the back of the head wasn't long coming after his protectors departed the scene.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Happy he's going. Had to happen.

Now I guess we can see whether things improve - was it his fault?
Or is it the Dome surface? The training methods? The game plan?
Or do we just have a habit of recruiting injury prone youngsters?
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Billy better add "Is the speed of the game just too much on the legs of the players?"
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Filthy, frankly I'm quite disappointed. I've been waiting for this day for about 3 years, mostly just to see what you'd do. And all we get are a few rather sensible arguments?

Tell us how you really feel.

I want bold text.
I want underlined text.
I want you to use different colours.
I want the text to be really, really, really big.
I want to see some emoticons, e.g. :D :) :P :mrgreen: vingertje =D> =P~ :lol: 8)
You can even use italics and/or images.

There's so many options.

Come on!