Bomber Thompson.....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

Bomber Thompson.....

Post by tom9779 »

Do you think he is a good coach and the cats made a good decision in keeping him on?

I think he is a tad lucky. I mean its hard to tell how much responsibility a coach has in terms of the performance of a footy team......
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I think he is a good coach, i read they are having some massive changes. I really think Geelong will go well next year.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Bomber Thompson should stay. The cats did not under perform this year at all, that is about where they are at in the competition. Thompson is a good coach, only thing that would stop him doing well is if he doesnt have the passion to coach Geelong anymore.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He divorced during the year. Even though he says that didn't have any effect, well, I believe that's got to be a "take responsibility for your own role" statement....it must have some impact on an individual.

Geelong players are legends in their own main street...that's their problem.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Gossy7 wrote:I think he is a good coach, i read they are having some massive changes. I really think Geelong will go well next year.
thats what they said this year
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

Good Luck Bomber,don't let the Bastards get ya down!......... :evil:
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Good decision to keep Bomber. After being 3-7 they finished the year 7-4-1 which isn't too bad.

A few of those losses early were very close too.
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

excellent, another 12 months gets him off contract at the same time that sheeds may retire....

We'll have Bomber, Daniher and Harvey in the mix.

If Sheeds wants to continue he had better have a bloody good year..... :shock:
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

beer-man wrote:excellent, another 12 months gets him off contract at the same time that sheeds may retire....

We'll have Bomber, Daniher and Harvey in the mix.

If Sheeds wants to continue he had better have a bloody good year..... :shock:
i would be open to someone not from essendon take over as coach, could be effective
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

all three will be non Essendon Essendon selections if you know what I mean.....
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Any of those three would be great as our next coach. On the one hand, they understand the Essendon culture, but on the other hand, they have had experience at another club.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

beer-man wrote:all three will be non Essendon Essendon selections if you know what I mean.....
you saying the same thing as Billy???? if so then yeah i get you and yeah fair enough i didnt think about that
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Its an interesting one.

Bomber took an outfit that was nothing, and with no good picks made it into a finals contender. However, this year, when if they'd taken a step forward they would have finished final 4 or higher, they stepped back and out of the finals (or partly, others stepped forward past them). Thats bad for a coach.

I think he has a number of strengths, in development and team building. But I don't rate his strategic or tactical nous - his general game plan has big problems and I think he is slow to react on game day. His biggest problem was getting Ottens instead of N. Thompson. If Hawkins is as good as some say, and one of his young talls stands up, he'll do a lot better.

Overall, I think the club was right to keep him on, although the amount of time they took confirming it was ridiculous. But if he can't produce next year (depending on injuries), then he's got to go. He's had the team a while and I think the talent on the list is worthy of a Final 8 position, and possibly even top 4. If he can't show an improvement in his strategies, get more out of his midfield, he should go at the end of the year when his contract expires.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Re: Bomber Thompson.....

Post by Gossy7 »

Wow, my boredom really has got the better of me today.....

Have read some classic threads and posts from 2006 (all the way back on pages 250-256) and shows that Bombertalk really has come a long way, regardless of other people saying it is dying in the arse....

This one was my favourite however.... is Bomber a good coach? Yeah he's not bad :lol:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Bomber Thompson.....

Post by Windy_Hill »

tom9779 wrote:Do you think he is a good coach and the cats made a good decision in keeping him on?

I think he is a tad lucky. I mean its hard to tell how much responsibility a coach has in terms of the performance of a footy team......

ALl i can remember during their hey day under Bomber was commentators talking in awe of the way the Cats played the game - thats got to be the coach's influence. Knowing what the limits of your team's abilities are. Conversely Matthew Knights tried to have his Essendon team play the same way as Geelong - epic fail. KNights failed to understand what game plan best suited his young, inexperienced team
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re:

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gossy7 wrote:I think he is a good coach, i read they are having some massive changes. I really think Geelong will go well next year.
good call there
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sartorius
Club Captain

Re: Re:

Post by Sartorius »

Jazz_84 wrote:
good call there
Great call.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Gossy wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:
good call there
Great call.
Kiss your own arse much? :wink:
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Gimps wrote:
Gossy wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:
good call there
Great call.
Haha think it's quite known that we're cousins mate and were both too stubborn to have different user names :D
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Gossy7 wrote:
Gimps wrote:
Gossy wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:
good call there
Great call.
Haha think it's quite known that we're cousins mate and were both too stubborn to have different user names :D
It's a good idea. I'll change mine. Can you do it for me? Make it Sartorius. Or would windyhill be less confusing?