Zero Brownlow votes for Watson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Zero Brownlow votes for Watson

Post by gringo »

At the risk of sounding arrogant - HA HA HA HA HA HA. Can people now understand why we are in trouble at Essendon? Why people like Jobe are bettered suited to careers in piano moving?
gringo wrote:As everyone is aware, Jobe Watson came second in our B and F this year. Whilst everyone is singing his praises about what a great season he has had and how hard he has worked, and to be fair to Jobe, he has, I think this is major cause for concern.

Firstly, I cannot think of any teams that, given the chance, would start Watson in their midfield. In fact, he wouldn't be close to getting a game for any of the top eight teams. This effectively puts Watson outside the top 40 midfielders in the AFL, and definitely outside the top 100 players in the league. Travis Johnson, for example, starts on the bench for Melbourne. Realistically, he is not going to poll a single vote in the Brownlow medal.

The fact, then, that he was second in our club B and F is most worrying. What does this say about the other players at our club and where their form is at? With the aging of our key players that have held up the club over the past 4-5 years (Hird, Lucas, Fletcher, Lloyd etc) I think we have a number of dark years ahead of us before we start seeing the light!
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

It was his first year playing in the midfield. He has only played a handful of games in his career. But no, you're right Gringo, he definately should have polled heaps of votes, and anything less than that is a total failure.

Idiot.
Last edited by Madden on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Gringo,

Get off Jobes back already! Jobe got off your mums back ages ago.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Brownlow votes mean nothing these days... just look at who won the damn thing. That should tell you something.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Umpires these days seem to be umaware of the in and under players, like what Jobe is. I've never seen Goodes at the bottom of a pack, West sometimes but stills hangs out the back for that handball, and even to some extent Judd. The players who are at the bottom of the packs everytime never get a mention. It's the ones out the back waiting for the ball to come out to get the quick clearance.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Gringo; I don't mind you have a crack at our team because we have had a few ordinary years in a row, but this thing about Jobe not getting Brownlow votes = a dud, is right off the mark.

Teasdale won a Brownlow & Simon Madden never did, therefore going by your theory, Teasdale is a better ruckman than Madden. Peverill got 2 votes in this years Chas & Jobe got none - does that mean Pev is twice the player Jobe is?

We need a new in & under to take over from the JJ's & Pev's of the world & I for one am glad that Jobe is coming on leaps & bounds in this department. Does his kicking need improving? Sure, as does Dyson's, Stanton's, Winderlich's, John's, Welsh's, Solomon's etc - why pick on him is beyond me. FFS, Scotty won the B&F this year & can't kick with his right foot - why isn't that a concern for you also?

Clubs B&F rewards consistent players more often rather than blokes that play half a dozen blinders a year & are maybe quiet for the rest of the season. Without checking, I would almost guarantee you that the 2 B&F that JJ won, I bet he didn't get our most Brownlow votes in that same year (probably Hird). Reason is that JJ is consistent, Hird has blinders.

To me, Jobe is the least of our worries, as at least he gets his hands on the pill. I'd be more worried about the complacency (& smugness) that this club has, whereby everyone thinks that if we miraculously have a injury free year next year, we are certs for the finals - that to me is our greatest problem.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'm talking about the winner of the Brownlow, I'm talking about Watson not getting any votes. It's a reflection of his ability to have a genuine impact on game. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Slow players who can't use the ball by foot and can't run the other way are finished as AFL footballers. Have a look at Vandenburg. The bloke is about as good as it gets when it comes to getting the hardball, yet he wouldn't get near the midfields of West Coast, Brisbane a few years ago, Adelaide, etc.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

its not in question that our midfield has a lot of work to do.

the midfielder award last night gave us the least votes out of any club.

I do think Stanton will play his best two years of footy in his career in 2007/2008. I hope he stays injury free.

jobe....undecided. I mean if he kicked straight he certainly would have picked up a vote or two.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

gringo wrote:I'm talking about the winner of the Brownlow, I'm talking about Watson not getting any votes. It's a reflection of his ability to have a genuine impact on game. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Slow players who can't use the ball by foot and can't run the other way are finished as AFL footballers. Have a look at Vandenburg. The bloke is about as good as it gets when it comes to getting the hardball, yet he wouldn't get near the midfields of West Coast, Brisbane a few years ago, Adelaide, etc.
Aaron Davey = 2 votes

Guess he is not an impact player either. Anybody who makes a point by using Brownlow votes has little grasp of the game.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Gringo you are an absolute tosser. I have not seen 1 person agree with your impression of Watson. If you have a problem with him then go take it out on a blow up doll.

He can second in out B&F and failed to get a brownlow vote but the winner of our B&F only polled 7.

Deal with it and get off his back
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I frat hard and sack up when required. I'm repin' tha Durty Thurd like there was no tomorrow.  I'm slingin' oil 'n gas left 'n right.  I'm makin' deals and choppin' on blades.  I frat worldwide from Munich to Melbourn.

I suggest you Watson lovers get a big ol' hose out and wash the sand out of your vaginas. Then you can start accepting the cold hard realities that face Essendon in the immediate future. Just for the record: "Slow, unskilled players who plod around in the midfield are a thing of the past". You heard it here first from Gringa-gring-gossage.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

I dont think Jobe getting any votes is really an issue. He was amongst our better players, but often his possessions go unnoticed. I go to most games and was often amazed at the amount of ball he got, you just dont notice him.

What is more an issue is how badly our team performed. To only get 36 votes in total is an embarrassment.

Scott Lucas getting no votes in Round 22 is another disgrace!
Muzzareewa
Top Up Player

Post by Muzzareewa »

I think that Gringo has a very good point...maybe he harps on it, but all he's trying to do as make you people wake up and stop kidding yourselves...yeah, Watson tries hard and has improved out of sight (and good on him for doing that) but the fact remains, the gulf between him and the Goodes/Judds (i.e. gun midfielders) is unbridgeable in my opinion.

One person raised a good point: many Essendon supporters believe that we just need some good luck with injuries to be in the finals again. Sorry but injuries are not the reason we have so many turnovers, cannot hit targets on the run, miss easy goals, go backwards in defence and just lack any structure. Yes, having Lloyd back will help, but the fact remains, we don't have skillful enough players to deliever the ball.

Keep up the good work Gringo; we need more people like you stirring sh*t to get things to happen!!

-Muzzareewa!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

gringo wrote:I'm talking about the winner of the Brownlow, I'm talking about Watson not getting any votes. It's a reflection of his ability to have a genuine impact on game. That's the only point I'm trying to make. Slow players who can't use the ball by foot and can't run the other way are finished as AFL footballers. Have a look at Vandenburg. The bloke is about as good as it gets when it comes to getting the hardball, yet he wouldn't get near the midfields of West Coast, Brisbane a few years ago, Adelaide, etc.
Scott West - Brownlow Medal Runner Up =;
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I think Gringo barracks for Collingwood. Come on Gringo, admit it. It's not that hard... :wink:
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Swoodley - Watson would make Scot West look like a Farrari. His footskills are more than sufficient and he plays bloody good defence. Try watching him play next season.

Robbie67 - Davey is a small forward and does impact a game in meaningful ways. Not the point though. Small forwards never poll well in the Brownlow. On the other hand, midfielders always do. The top ten this year are all pretty much midfielders. Hence when our runner up in our B&F plays in the midfield, it would be reasonable to expect he would get at least ONE vote!!!!!!! But no, he gets doghnuts. For the simple reason, he doesn't have an impact.

Play on, kids....
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Muzzareewa wrote:I think that Gringo has a very good point...maybe he harps on it, but all he's trying to do as make you people wake up and stop kidding yourselves...yeah, Watson tries hard and has improved out of sight (and good on him for doing that) but the fact remains, the gulf between him and the Goodes/Judds (i.e. gun midfielders) is unbridgeable in my opinion.

One person raised a good point: many Essendon supporters believe that we just need some good luck with injuries to be in the finals again. Sorry but injuries are not the reason we have so many turnovers, cannot hit targets on the run, miss easy goals, go backwards in defence and just lack any structure. Yes, having Lloyd back will help, but the fact remains, we don't have skillful enough players to deliever the ball.

Keep up the good work Gringo; we need more people like you stirring sh*t to get things to happen!!

-Muzzareewa!
Thankyou Gringo2. I dont see anyone saying he will be a Goodes/Judd type. You are not going to get 22 players at that level. He could ceetainley be as usefull as someone like Brett Kirk though. Good mid-fields always need a mix. You need pace outside, grunt inside, somebody who can naturally find the footy, and a usefull tagger. ALL of those components make up an elite mid-field. Watson will be an above average player. Which is exactly what you need in spades.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

gringo wrote: I suggest you Watson lovers get a big ol' hose out and wash the sand out of your vaginas.
I keep telling your mum that the beaches arent safe after dark. She wont listen....
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

[quote="gringo"]

Robbie67 - Davey is a small forward and does impact a game in meaningful ways. Not the point though. Small forwards never poll well in the Brownlow. On the other hand, midfielders always do. The top ten this year are all pretty much midfielders. Hence when our runner up in our B&F plays in the midfield, it would be reasonable to expect he would get at least ONE vote!!!!!!! But no, he gets doghnuts. For the simple reason, he doesn't have an impact.

[quote]

Not really. A lot of mid-fielders dont poll well early in their careers. Particularly those that are not "spectacular" like a Judd. Also, Watson's best form of the season was during our rather large losing streak where hardly any of our players polled a vote. I understand the point you are trying to make. I also think a lot of our supporter base rate him way to highly, but you are the exact opposite. You rate him way below what his contribution is. Brownlow results are a shite measure of a players career.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gringo,

Let it go. You made a remark that no one agrees with.

Move on.

Why not think up another thread that no one agrees with