Rama - All Class

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Rama - All Class

Post by swoodley »

Great article with Rama....admits that he's been out of form and lucky to get a game recently but all his comments are about what's best for the team.

He wants to keep playing and I hope he gets another contract because people with his class don't grow on trees.

from afl.com.au:

ADAM Ramanauskas appreciates the emotion of his first appearance in Essendon's annual Clash for Cancer match, but is just hoping for a return to form as his club continues its run to the finals against Melbourne on Saturday.

Ramanuaskas, whose well-celebrated triumph over cancer has been one of the AFL's most inspiring stories, says he is more intent on continuing his team's surge than making a point in a game that has obvious connections to him and his family.

"I want to go and get a kick actually," Ramanauskas said. "I've been terrible, to be honest, in the past couple of weeks.

"You always want to be contributing to the team ... I've felt at times I've really contributed and at times I haven't at all.

"The last couple of weeks have been terrible so this week, being the game that it is, I'm looking to rectify that."

Ramanauskas added that he is yet to decide on his playing future beyond this year.

"I'd love to go on but I haven't even sat down with 'Knighta' (Matthew Knights) yet. It's something we'll probably do at the end of the year," he said.

And the 27-year-old admitted that if Essendon had not been struck by injury in recent weeks, he may not have got a game.

"We’ve been a few troops down so I’ve probably snuck in a few games I shouldn’t have got," he said.

Despite his form concerns, Ramanauskas is proud of what the Call to Arms campaign and the annual cancer clash has achieved.

"It’s something that I’ve been very passionate about and something that I will continue to be passionate about," he said.

"The response that we’ve got from the Victorian public last year and now from the national public this year has been phenomenal."

Ramanauskas considers that his personal battle with the disease has encouraged him to not take anything for granted.

"I never particularly liked the day-to-day grind of it all but you sort of enjoy it now," he said. "I’ve got a great group of mates here that I’ve played a lot of footy with, but I’m really enjoying my time with the younger fellas as well.

"We’ve got a couple of really good characters in the rooms that I have a lot of fun with. It’s been so exciting to watch them develop."

A member of Essendon's 2000 premiership side, he believes the young group is capable of bringing another flag to Windy Hill in the not-too-distant future.

"That’s the plan," he said. "That’s the way the coaching staff are really developing these guys.

"We’ve got a long way to go obviously but I think you’ve seen probably over the last eight weeks that the methods and structures that we’ve put in place are working.

"We’re still playing attacking style of football but you’ve seen over the weeks that the defensive side of our game has really come to the fore."
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
gringo
Club Captain

Re: Rama - All Class

Post by gringo »

Magnificent human being.

Might get another contract next year, but will be touch and go. His form this year certainly doesn't warrant it.

Is there a mentor type role he can do for the club? I'd imagine he'd be ideal for that, should he want to.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

The thing I hate about all of this is that we saw in 2000 and 2001 that he really was a rare talent. Bloody stiff not to get the Rising Star in 2000, and I just can't help but wonder whether he would have been a SUPERB footballer, instead of the good one we see now, had he not gone through two bouts of cancer and a knee reco.

For that reason I would like to see him get another year, and see him get a full preseason to see whether he can recapture that form. He's worth keeping around the club. vingertje
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

dead set champion this guy!!! good luck mate and tear em a new one this weekend vingertje
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

One thing he does bring to the EFC is soul. That is a trait not many blokes can claim to have. He'd be the mortar between the bricks.
Essendunny
Splodge
Top Up Player

Post by Splodge »

After all he has been through, he's still putting the club before himself. Any other Sportsman trying to re-negotiate an extra few $ on a new contract should be made to read this.

Now that's how to conduct yourself.

I'll be bloody angry if we cant find a spot on the list for him next year.
Carlton Football Club - Surely a contradiction in terms?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Fev should have a read of this article...

Also, whilst it would be good to see him get another year, if they don't think he is worth it, I would definately be happy with him running around at Bendigo providing leadership and stability there for the younger guys :D
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rama will defintitely get another contract. He will be another 20% fitter/stronger next year. He is a very handy player to have on the list.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Crazyman wrote:Fev should have a read of this article...

Also, whilst it would be good to see him get another year, if they don't think he is worth it, I would definately be happy with him running around at Bendigo providing leadership and stability there for the younger guys :D
Citizen Fevola would only read something with his name in it (half a chance then), money attached (no chance then) or when the words have farm-yard animals attached (no chance).

Perhaps Sam could Cum over and read it to him :wink:
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.