Greatest Single Season Under Threat

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: Greatest Single Season Under Threat

Post by tom9779 »

andrewb wrote:It all means shit.

Brisbane are still the best of the three "dynasties" by a mile.

Premierships are the only currency that matters.
great team. what is annoying though is how it was made.

take the lists of two teams, their players sons(eg j brown), a 20% salary cap boost, oh and were they into buying extra home games as well in that period?

I tell you one amazing thing that club also did, was trade week 2002. IMO it is why they are up playing finals again already.(well maybe they have blown it this year)

They offloaded des headland and damian cupido(we know how they turned out) and pulled in pick #3(jared brennan) and troy selwood(pick 19) and daniel merrett(pick 30), .
this was their draft effort after finishing 2nd on the ladder and with the premiership.

who did we grab with our first 3 picks?

Jason Laycock, Jason Winderlich and Tristan Cartledge.(oh and that great buy cupes)

nuff said really. the afl have built one smart afl team up in brisvegas.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I'm with you Andrew. I'm over the fact that everyone on here keeps hanging their hats on 2000, when it's a fact that Brissie won 3 in a row & maybe the Cats will at least do B2B & might also get 3 in a row.

I would take B2B or 3 in a row any day of the week, rather than jerking off about the best season of all time - & I still reckon our 1985 team was better than 2000 anyway.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

CameronClayton wrote:

I'm with you Andrew. I'm over the fact that everyone on here keeps hanging their hats on 2000, when it's a fact that Brissie won 3 in a row & maybe the Cats will at least do B2B & might also get 3 in a row.

I would take B2B or 3 in a row any day of the week, rather than jerking off about the best season of all time - & I still reckon our 1985 team was better than 2000 anyway.
No one is hanging their hats on the 2000 season. It just happens to be the best ever single season performance on record which is likely to be equalled this year by Geelong. Are we ok to discuss these sort of subjects or do I need a special note from the Topicmeisters on this forum
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Windy_Hill wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:

No one is hanging their hats on the 2000 season. It just happens to be the best ever single season performance on record which is likely to be equalled this year by Geelong. Are we ok to discuss these sort of subjects or do I need a special note from the Topicmeisters on this forum
We lost 5 in 1999 & 6 in 2001, so we lost 12 games in 3 years. Yes, we had one blinder of a season, but if the Cats go through the rest of this season undefeated (they lost 4 in 2007) & lose less than 7 games next year & also win the flag, than I would say they pantsed us hands down in the grand scheme of things.

I prefer to look at big picture stuff, rather than one season in isolation - remember even Graeme Teasdale & Kelvin Templeton won Brownlows in their 'one-off' great seasons & they just go down in history as good ordinary players.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Windy_Hill wrote:
CameronClayton wrote:

In future please apply for topic permission at http://www.andrewbhasn'thadmuchactionlatelyandisthereforegrumpy.com.au
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

CameronClayton wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
CameronClayton wrote: I'm with you Andrew. I'm over the fact that everyone on here keeps hanging their hats on 2000, when it's a fact that Brissie won 3 in a row & maybe the Cats will at least do B2B & might also get 3 in a row.

We lost 5 in 1999 & 6 in 2001, so we lost 12 games in 3 years. Yes, we had one blinder of a season, but if the Cats go through the rest of this season undefeated (they lost 4 in 2007) & lose less than 7 games next year & also win the flag, than I would say they pantsed us hands down in the grand scheme of things.

I prefer to look at big picture stuff, rather than one season in isolation - remember even Graeme Teasdale & Kelvin Templeton won Brownlows in their 'one-off' great seasons & they just go down in history as good ordinary players.
Yes, back to back is better than just one flag but the title of the thread is about the single season record.

And whether or not you prefer to look at the big picture, the topic of discussion put forward was about the "greatest single season" record being under threat.

Start your own thread if you want to discuss how much better Brisbane's performance was (and which I agree) and potentially how much better Geelong's performance has been.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012