Peverill

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Peverill

Post by bomberflyer »

Is it me or do you sit and watch a game and really commend the way Damien Peverill goes about his footy?

Not flashy, doesn't have the most ability, but has a crack every week. To me, if you were to teach the young guys anything it would be by giving Peverill another year and telling them that's where hard work and ticker gets you.

Any thoughts?
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Peverill

Post by BenDoolan »

Love the bloke. As you say, not the most talented, not the most skillful and not the most natural footballer, but he just gives everything of himself to help out his team mates. I have the utmost respect for Damien Peverill. He's put his body on the line and suffered his broken bones and bled for this club. He has never complained and just goes about his business as if his life depended on it. You'll never see him on any top 20 champions list, but I'd have him high on the list of the hardest workers to pull on the red & black. If I ever saw him down the street, I'd stop to give him a pat on the back for a job well done.
Essendunny
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

From memory wasn't he also overlooked in about 4 drafts as well as being on Melbourne's rookie list before he got elevated from our rookie list?

His determination to make it to the top level and not give in despite setbacks are other examples to young guys coming through.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Persistence pays off! Got his chance courtesy of Misiti going on the LTI in 2001 and made a serious mark as a stand out rookie elevation playing as a run with tagger and shutting down all the biggest names in the compettion and wiping the floor with them for 9 or 10 consecutive weeks. Was sensational. The broken arm (Thanks McKee!) set him backa bit and it took a while for him to find his feet again, but he is a fierce competitor and I have loved the way he goes about it from the start.

Has the occasional moment where you want to throttle him for poor disposal or decision making resulting in a goal, but he never stops working. Maybe he could train Laycock in the offseason if he doesn't get another year.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd give him another year, but not a game when everybody is fit. A great player to have as back-up though and certainly works his arse off. =D>
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Funny when you compare him to Bolton - Bolton probably looked a better player and ran hard, but Pev worked that much harder at playing football. Running hard obviously is not the same as working hard to win the footy.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Always been a fan of Pevs. Just love the way he goes at the ball, there should be more players like him - not the flashiest, he's no James Hird but hell you need guys like him around a club.

I don't think he's nearly as ugly as everyone else does either ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Megan wrote:I don't think he's nearly as ugly as everyone else does either ;)
Need your eyes tested again Megan?
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

My optomitrist (sp?) told me not to come back until Jan 2010 :D

I never said he was a hottie... just not as ugly as some other players, such as Ling ;)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

Has it been made offical?