The Brownlow Race...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

The Brownlow Race...

Post by Madden »

...is over.

Pending a broken leg or alien abduction, Ablett is going to win it. Champion Data have him on 23 votes already and they have been pretty much spot on the last 3 years.

Rd 13 - 37 disps (16 kicks 21 hballs), 7 marks, 6 tackles and 2 goals
Rd 12 - 32 disps (13 kicks 19 hballs), 5 marks, 5 tackles and a goal
Rd 11 - 39 disps (25 kicks 14 hballs), 4 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals
Rd 10 - 32 disps (11 kicks 21 hballs), 5 marks and 8 tackles
Rd 09 - 29 disps (15 kicks 14 hballs), 4 marks, 5 tackles and 2 goals (Geelong Loss)
Rd 08 - 27 disps (18 kicks 9 hballs), 6 marks, 10 tackles and a goal
Rd 05 - 35 disps (20 kicks 15 hballs), 6 marks, 5 tackles and 3 goals
Rd 03 - 29 disps (13 kicks 16 hballs), 6 marks and a goal
Rd 02 - 34 disps (14 kicks 20 hballs), 7 marks and 2 goals
Rd 01 - 24 disps (15 kicks 9 hballs), 4 marks, 4 tackles and a goal

You can see from those numbers that he really has to be on 18 votes minimum and in all actuality may be significantly more than that.

I don't like putting big bets on the Brownlow during the year, because he could very well get hit by a bus tomorrow. But, if he gets to the end of the year unscathed.... Put. The. House. On.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: The Brownlow Race...

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Pretty much. Bookies currently have him at about $1.80 so if he continues in his current form for another 3 or 4 weeks he'll be at prohibitive odds, unless Cooney or Richo can start pulling BOGs for weeks on end. He's also aided by the fact that Bartel or Chapman haven't been as good this year, hence Gablett won't have to share the votes like last year.

Black always polls well (unusually well, i.m.o.) but is suspected to have OP and probably won't be able to challenge. Scott Thompson is a smokey who polled well last year and is having another very good year this year, but doesn't tend to dominate games like the very best midfielders.

If he stays fit and doesn't get suspended, he will win the Brownlow, and will probably do so with 30+ votes, which is something that has only happened 3 times in the last 30 years (Judd, Harvey and Williams). Mind you, Judd was on target for about 40 votes until he got OP last year - 16 votes after 8 rounds, was obvious he had OP by about round 10.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

f***'n awesome player, seriously. Should shit it in.

The only real threat would be Richo as he would dominate the voting at Richmond. Cooney would also be a threat as he's been phenomenal this year. Franklin can't win it, and he would have stolen heaps of votes from other Hawk players.
Essendunny
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

If I was strong enough and I had a house to put on him, I would... but then we don't have to play Geelong for the rest of the year...

At $1.80 he's not much value... but then... there's every chance he doesn't really need to play for the rest of the year to still win it!
Keep things interesting - rest him up until Round 21 and 22 :)
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Bump. Ablett getting injured and Brent Harvey & Jimmy Bartel having a hot streak of form has made the race a bit more open than it was a few months ago. But Ablett might have shut the door last night with a 32 touch/3 goal/5 tackle BOG performance against the Swans.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

He will absolutely piss it in.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

What an incredible player. Even when he has a quiet one he does the sublime and just ices the cake that is Geelong. If he doesn't win the Chas there is something very, very wrong.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Boyler_Room wrote:What an incredible player. Even when he has a quiet one he does the sublime and just ices the cake that is Geelong. If he doesn't win the Chas there is something very, very wrong.
He will probably win but that doesnt make the Brownlow right.

Too often the best player in the competition has not been recognised with its most important individual reward.

I disagree completely with the umpires being responsible for the voting - its a joke. No wonder on-ballers are getting all the votes as they are the ones under the Umpire's nose.

There should be a system of voting that is similar to The Age Footballer of the Year where a panel of judges are appointed to vote on each game with 5 players being eligible for a score out of 10.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

WH, I almost put on the end of my post that it's quite often "wrong" but thought I'd leave it off, somewhat foolishly it seems as I knew this was an inevitable discussion point. While the Chas isn't always the best guide and often we'll see someone come from left field to snag it, it seems obvious to me that Ablett has been unbelievably outstanding this season and stands head and shoulders above the rest of the competition.

As I said, if he doesn't win it, there is something very, very wrong. Perhaps then the AFL will take notice and review the decision making process?

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:What an incredible player. Even when he has a quiet one he does the sublime and just ices the cake that is Geelong. If he doesn't win the Chas there is something very, very wrong.

Too often the best player in the competition has not been recognised with its most important individual reward.

I disagree completely with the umpires being responsible for the voting - its a joke. No wonder on-ballers are getting all the votes as they are the ones under the Umpire's nose.

There should be a system of voting that is similar to The Age Footballer of the Year where a panel of judges are appointed to vote on each game with 5 players being eligible for a score out of 10.
Why? That system put Silvagni as FB of the century.

The AA team is a farce. Leave it with the umpires.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rossoneri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

Rosso, I would take Silvagni as FBotC anyday over a Libba Brownlow!!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

I believe the coaches should put the votes in at the end of the game - as they do in the AFL Coaches Association POTY Award. They know which player contributed best to the teams cause and they also know which opposition player caused the most damage. Certainly have more credibility than 3 moronic umpires who struggle to get decisions right.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:I believe the coaches should put the votes in at the end of the game - as they do in the AFL Coaches Association POTY Award. They know which player contributed best to the teams cause and they also know which opposition player caused the most damage. Certainly have more credibility than 3 moronic umpires who struggle to get decisions right.
Spot on. Every coach has watched every game probably 3-4 times.

I think what needs to happen is that the players and coaches need to make more of a big deal about it. Have it as a full on dress up night, try and get the networks involved and refer to the player as the reigning POTY.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Mark Bolton would be a Triple Brownlow Medalist by now if Sheeds had been voting
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Mark Bolton would be a Triple Brownlow Medalist by now if Sheeds had been voting
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You may have a point there...
Essendunny
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Windy_Hill wrote:Mark Bolton would be a Triple Brownlow Medalist by now if Sheeds had been voting
I don't know. Kepler could have stolen one or two!!

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Well, Goodes has two and he is Mark Boltons bitch.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

where can you actually get the champion data votes?