Mark Johnson retires

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Mark Johnson retires

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yes i know he is now a Docker but i thought people would like to know that after the last two rounds Johnno is calling it a day.

What a Bomber champion...! vingertje

From the AFL website...
FIRST year Fremantle utility and Essendon premiership player Mark Johnson has announced he will retire at the end of the season.

Johnson, 30, will play the final two games of a decorated career against Richmond at the MCG and Collingwood at Subiaco Oval.

Johnson played 194 games and won the 2000 premiership with Essendon before being delisted at the end of 2007. Fremantle offered him a lifeline for one more season in the AFL and allowed him the chance to reach his 200-game milestone.

He struggled early in the year with a knee injury and was suspended in the WAFL but has been able to cement his spot in the team in the second half of 2008, and has played 12 games so far this season.

Johnson now joins Peter Bell, Shaun McManus, Matthew Carr and Heath Black as Fremantle retirements this year.

Coach Mark Harvey said in a statement on fremantlefc.com.au the former Bomber found a niche at Fremantle, regardless of where he was required to play.

“Mark has always had an amazing will to win and a great depth of character,” he said.

“He’s always had the ability to play well in big matches and do big jobs on the best small forwards going round but then be able to go forward and kick goals.”

Mark Harvey said the club’s younger players had learnt a lot from the veteran.

“They’ve learnt a lot from Mark about how to prepare mentally and physically for a game and how to keep your body in immaculate condition,” he said.

“Mark’s also very good at reading the opposition and knowing how to go after them.

“One of the things that struck me about him is his ability to throw himself into a contest, which would then leave you wondering where had come from or how he had got there.”

Fremantle chief executive officer Steve Rosich praised Mark for the positive impact right across the board during his time at Fremantle.

“Mark has been a real asset to the Fremantle Football Club on and off the field during his time with us and we wish him all the very best in his life after football,” he said.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: Mark Johnson retires

Post by andrewb »

Would love to see him back at the club toughening up the youngsters. A true warrior. Congratulations Mark on getting to 200 games and for everything that you have achieved in football.

I remember back in 99-04 thinking that JJ and MJ were bulletproof... how quickly age catches up with you.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

I just hope he gets a good post-career role somewhere, and to be honest, I hope Solly when eventually his time is up gets the same level of support by EFC supporters - because they all premiership players and loved the Club.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mark Johnson was a gem. Loved the way he played for our club. He formed part of that formidable wrecking crew backline - Solomon, M. Johnson, Hardwick, Wallis, Barnard. MJ played a great game in that 2000 Grand Final on a piping hot Jeff Farmer. A best & fairest winner (unlucky not to have two) who played with real toughness and a bit of flair. Unlucky not to have played his entire career at the club - and if the situation was reversed (contractually) with his namesake JJ, he would have. Good onya MJ, you will forever be our Premiership hero. Will also be remebered for being penalised 50 metres for calling an opposition player a "weak dog".
Essendunny
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Onya MJ.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

Congratulations to MJ on a stellar career. =D>

A fantastic player who never once shirked a contest.

Also if my memory is correct another success for the Rookie List system.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

correct vern

bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

As for Kepler Bradley - put a fork in him he's done!!!

dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Always be an Essendon man.

Thanks and congrats MJ.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

A great Bomber man and a real shame his career had to come to a close in that mess of a football club.

Fantastic mark for a small player, took some real screamers in his day. Tough, uncompormising and a great club man.

An Essendon B&F winner, premiership hero and all round top guy.

We salute you Mark Johnson
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Grassy have you heard if he is heading back to Vic or will he play on for the Demons in the WAFL???
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Bravo, well played old son =D>
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It was sad to see him go at the ned of last year but it was great to watch him play a majority of his career at Essendon.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Salutaions MJ!!!

A great player who gave his all (even when those around him weren't)

A special fave of my kids at Mozzie fleet clinics - he has a great way with kids and would usually be the last or second last (the other was Bolts) to make the kid's day! To come back to Vic to be a carpenter is a waste of his talent and charisma.

BTW ... the 2004 (or was it 2005) photo with MJ and my two boys was a feature in my xmas cards!

Hope he can come back to the club ... maybe assitstant coach of the 2009 VFL team (where ever that is and hopefully not Gold Coast)???

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Farewell to a great former Bomber. A member of the greatest side to ever grace the field.

We'll miss your presence on the park, but I hope you decide to come home and help blood some youngsters and develop the kids that will become the next generation of AFL footballers who will play for our great club.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

All the best for retirement, MJ.
Hope maybe the club can get you back in some capacity - helping youngsters settle in?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Western Red wrote:Grassy have you heard if he is heading back to Vic or will he play on for the Demons in the WAFL???
Any chance of being a senior Bendigo listed player next year? I really hope he comes back to Vic and has some role at the EFC.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Congrats on an outstanding career MJ. Bleeds red and black.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Western Red wrote:Grassy have you heard if he is heading back to Vic or will he play on for the Demons in the WAFL???
He owns some cafes in the CBD in Melbourne so I'm sure he will be back in Vic.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

MJ and Rama would make excellent runners. I'm sure they would be able to contribute more than "running" but it'd be a good sight in '09.