PLAYER POSITIVES

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

PLAYER POSITIVES

Post by mrredfox »

OK people ther are many on here that take delight in firing off cheap shots about players and hilighting all the supposed negatives. Heres your chance to hilight poitives.

Many of our younger players started to show a few things this year so take this opportunity to name those player in a positive light.

TO THE NEGATIVE PPL PLEASE KEEP YOUR BAGGING IN ITHER POSTS AND ALLOW THIS POST TO BE PURELY POSITIVE.

Lovett Murray is one i thought should great improvement as the season went on. Starting to back his speed to run the ball out of the backline and started to become an accountable backman. He is one that could take Sollys spot in the team.

Dyson, i have never been a fan of this guy and thought we should of off loaded him last year but i did start to see why Sheeds has persisted with him. PLaying full games at the end of the year he showed his willingness to carry the ball through the midfield and he was damn quick. Think he is a confidence player and hope he continues to improve next year or he may again be trade bait.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

anyone would think i was drunk with that spelling but coming to end of lunch break so was rushing
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

Jobe Watson - RU B & F. He put in the effort & reaped the rewards. Is going to be a vital part of our midfield next year & beyond. Just needs a little more work on his kicking.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Courtney Johns

Has started to take big marks, can out manouvre his opponents, kicking has improved heaps and is now a genuine threat for opposition backlines.

His confidence must have improved heaps over the season and he will look forward to next year with some anticipation
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Stanton. Another solid year in the middle. Started to kick some goals also, which we need. Needs to work a bit harder on running in BOTH directions, but a real workhorse. Looking forward to seeing him play next year.
DazMan32
Top Up Player

Post by DazMan32 »

danstar84 wrote:Stanton. Another solid year in the middle. Started to kick some goals also, which we need. Needs to work a bit harder on running in BOTH directions, but a real workhorse. Looking forward to seeing him play next year.
I thought he was probably the hardest working midfield getting back.

Especially in the last few games, i almost thought he was playin defence he was there that often.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Watson: another year of letting players run passed him and hideous kicks.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

monfries....all class, we have got a winner there.

Hille - come of age, will be part of an efc premiership winning spine.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Nash: Showed great ability to link with the backman, with great running off the half back flank, and quite a good kick.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Mark Bolton. May not have to watch him in red and black again.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

we have had a lot of young players enter the side on a more permanent basis this year and will all be better for it next year.

The added pace in the midfield of Winder and Dyson will compliment Stants and Watson. Add to this Lovett, Hird and JJ (hopefully back to form) and the midfield will be more than conpetetive. Also add Gibbs if we get him.

A few blokes like Nash, Jolley, Dempsey will come along over the next 12 months .
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I think our list looks good... contrary to many peoples thoughts.

Youngsters like NLM, Lovett, Dyson, Monfries, Stanton, Watson, Hille (not so much a youngster but still young), Laycock, Ryder, Nash, Slattery, Lee, Johns, Winderlich and a few waiting in the wings in Neagle, Lucy, Longergan, Jolley...

Add to that Lloyd, Hird (for one more year), Lucas, MJ, JJ, McVeigh, Fletcher....

Doesn't look like a bad list to me. In fact that's an exciting group of players. We're lacking a CHB. If someone like Lee can fill that position effectively next season we'll look like a pretty solid unit.

Edit: Forgot Dempsey. See... we have so many good youngsters I'm forgetting some of them.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Boyler_Room wrote:I think our list looks good... contrary to many peoples thoughts.

Youngsters like NLM, Lovett, Dyson, Monfries, Stanton, Watson, Hille (not so much a youngster but still young), Laycock, Ryder, Nash, Slattery, Lee, Johns, Winderlich and a few waiting in the wings in Neagle, Lucy, Longergan, Jolley...

Add to that Lloyd, Hird (for one more year), Lucas, MJ, JJ, McVeigh, Fletcher....

Doesn't look like a bad list to me. In fact that's an exciting group of players. We're lacking a CHB. If someone like Lee can fill that position effectively next season we'll look like a pretty solid unit.

Edit: Forgot Dempsey. See... we have so many good youngsters I'm forgetting some of them.
With Johns, LLoyd and Jimmy in the forward line we have a CHB in Scott Lucas. One medal at CHB and one at CHF but for team balance he will need to back to CHB in 2007.
qv_15
Top Up Player

Post by qv_15 »

i agree, Lucas should play in CHB so the team would be balanced and also gives Johns a chance to play CHF
Kanech
Top Up Player

Post by Kanech »

Courtney Johns: he has awesome "DUKES" great on the lead kicking has improved a lot (still needs work) the one moment i remember was vs geelong he hit the centre square and cats went flying he collected the ball turned and put it down the throat of...(can't remeber) that moment i really thought he was gonna be something and now i can't wait for next season

Ricky Dyson: Finally getting some game time towards the end of the year showed the pace and precision skills i think everyone knew he had the run and carry made the whole team look a little better when it worked out which wasn't everytime but the signs ar good!

Angus Monfries: what can i even say this kid is my absolute hero i swear to god some of the times he threw himself in front of huge packs, players on the lead , trucks, trains whatever he doesnt care eyes for the pill and nothing else it is a thing of beauty but also scares the shit out of ya jut wondering if its this time he's gonna get really hurt but never seems to stay down!!!!!!
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I dont reckon the list is too bad. There is a bit of dead wood in the likes of Bolts, Henno, Reynolds and guys like Rama and Rioli who for whatever reason cant get out on the park but a lot of them could be gone by years end. Theres also the likes of Solomon and Welsh who could be trade bait.

Having said that theres a lot of players who show promise, the likes of CJ, Dyson, Lovett, NLM, Monfries, Watson, Stants, Dempsey who could be good players for the future and will probably get better.

CHB is a hole that needs to be plugged. I reckon if theyre not going to get the likes of Hansen in the draft to give Lee a go. I reckon Scotty does more damage up forward. Besides CJ will only be starting his 2nd full year and should find it easier only having to play on the 3rd best defender with Lloyd and Lucas in the team
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Tell me which team wont be crapping their daks when they see a forward 6 of;

HIRD - LUCAS - NAT RAT
JOHNS - LLOYD - LOVETT

A bit of defensive pressure from Nat Rat and Andy when the ball is on the way out will make this forward line our strongest for many a year.

The delisting/trades could bring us a solid back up for Hille and some muscle to help down back. It will make me a happy puppy.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

I think any discussion of positives OR negatives, without both being included is silly.

Just as some of the negative threads are ridiculously pessimistic, this thread is ridiculously optimistic. But, given the initial thread asked just for positives, ok.

Got game time into Nash, Slattery, Ryder, Cartledge, Lee, Lonnergan, Dempsey and Jolley. NLM showed he can play a role in the backline at a consistent level, and break lines carrying the ball forward. Johns showed plenty, both as a marking target and in the way he threw his weight around on the forward line. Winderlich showed a little bit (a lot more than he ever has before) before being injured. Stanton & Watson showed they work well together, and will be a big part of our midfield for a while to come. Monfries continued slowly developing. Towards the end of the year, as he lost some of that stupid bulk and got his mobility back, Bradley showed a bit playing off the wing in a similiar role to Goodes.