McVeighs post game speech

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gossy7
Club Captain

McVeighs post game speech

Post by Gossy7 »

Just saw it on On the Couch. For the people that didnt see it, this is what happened.

there was a giant ring, the players, the staff, and all bomber people in a big ring, arms linked and McVeigh steps up and says.

"Boys, this is where it starts, we remember this day, we remember these blokes, every day in pre season we will remember how much this hurts, and so then we can move on, and do something about it in 09, we will do something f****** about it in 09"

then he yelled "It Starts NOW"

Something like that, i cant remember exactly what was said, but geez was inspiring
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: McVeighs post game speech

Post by Rossoneri »

Said an awesome speech at the B&F night.

Good to see we have some leaders around the place, unlike 2 years ago when Lloyd went down.

Lloyd, Spike, Hille and the future in Watson, Ryder and I reckon someone like Myers has that sort of leadership. Directs traffic in the middle when he was playing, great to see in a young kid.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Sounds a bit like what was said at the restaurant after we lost the '99 prelim
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

What....? Pass me the pepper? :wink:
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I really didn't mind the result yesterday (well at least getting flogged by the over-rated punch of tossers that make up the St Kilda Football Club) because it was pretty much a given that we were going to get flogged given our injury list going into the game.

The fact we were flogged by 100+ points will have struck that little bit harder in the guts and the boys will be chomping at the bit round 1 next year to show that we are better than that.

Hopefully we get Shit Kilda again and can return the favour!!
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

I love that man.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I was doing something in the kitchen and I heard this emphatic passionate voice that made me take note and lo and behold it was Spike laying the law down to the young Bomber team we had out there. After those words they should be ready to run through brick walls.

I am very optimistic about next year. All we need is some long deserved luck with injuries. Should we be able to keep a solid side out there I am supremely confident we can go a very long way next year.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Gossy7 wrote:Just saw it on On the Couch. For the people that didnt see it, this is what happened.

there was a giant ring, the players, the staff, and all bomber people in a big ring, arms linked and McVeigh steps up and says.

"Boys, this is where it starts, we remember this day, we remember these blokes, every day in pre season we will remember how much this hurts, and so then we can move on, and do something about it in 09, we will do something f****** about it in 09"

then he yelled "It Starts NOW"

Something like that, i cant remember exactly what was said, but geez was inspiring
He also ended the speech by saying "never forget, we are Essendon".

My man love for him has significantly increased.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Thanks for that Brendan, was interested to know what was said.

Spike is a legend. Very passionate about the club, and quite inspirational on the field and off it. He had 3 out of 4 BOGs before he got injured at the start of the year. If he (like the rest of the list) can stay fit all of next year he could push AA no problems.

I'll watch the b&f this year just to hear his speech. Was one of the highlights of last years b&f.

Anyone know if bombertv is going to stream it again?
dheal
Top Up Player

Post by dheal »

Saw the speech on TV plus i the awesome passion in the way he said it. definately the heir apparent to Lloydy. Was at the game also & saw him as he walked off the ground pulling his jumper out & pointing to it with pride. Great leadership material.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Best Quote for what Dyson is thinking...

"Wow you mean we are supposed to care about this club?"
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Now Hirdy has gone, IMO Spike is the number 1 player at the EFC for BLEEDING red and black. I still think he should be our captain.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

I want in on this man-love for Spike, too! :P
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

What an awesome thing for Spike to do. Hopefully it will inspire the whole club to get back to where we should be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

My 7 year old daughter loves him. From her first ever game (R1 v North Melbourne) he has become her favourite player. She loves the way he looks and plays. She was devastated when he had to have surgery on his knee - so much so that she made him a "get well card". I sent it to the club and in response she received a Bombers pencil case with crayons, a team poster with autographs and a Bombers photo frame. Great club with truly great people. She was absolutely thrilled to bits.
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:My 7 year old daughter loves him. From her first ever game (R1 v North Melbourne) he has become her favourite player. She loves the way he looks and plays. She was devastated when he had to have surgery on his knee - so much so that she made him a "get well card". I sent it to the club and in response she received a Bombers pencil case with crayons, a team poster with autographs and a Bombers photo frame. Great club with truly great people. She was absolutely thrilled to bits.
Thats the most beautiful thing I have heard for a while.

Your daughter is a treasure. Keep up the good work Benny, just remember to put the teeth back in when you smile at her :lol:
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:My 7 year old daughter loves him. From her first ever game (R1 v North Melbourne) he has become her favourite player. She loves the way he looks and plays. She was devastated when he had to have surgery on his knee - so much so that she made him a "get well card". I sent it to the club and in response she received a Bombers pencil case with crayons, a team poster with autographs and a Bombers photo frame. Great club with truly great people. She was absolutely thrilled to bits.

Your daughter is a treasure. Keep up the good work Benny, just remember to put the teeth back in when you smile at her :lol:
Yes, I'm lucky to have such a great kid. She is totally self interested - I never pushed her into barracking for the Bombers. Obviously, there was a peer pressure thing at her primary school about following a footy team. She took it on board that I love the Bombers and that was that. She wanted to know all about them, and lucky for me, I have tapes dating back to 1990. She has an understanding of our past success and our past champions (she loves Tim Watson!). I don't have a problem with her at the games.....she just sits there and studies what is happening. The look on her face when Lloyd took "that" mark was just a gold moment - jaw dropped, jumped up from her seat, screamed, clapped and then waved her Bombers cap in the air, which was signed by Lloyd . Just magic. I see other kids at the games who are restless and disinterested......I've got it good!!

And it's hard to keep my teeth in when umpire Nicholls is at our game :wink:
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:

Yes, I'm lucky to have such a great kid. She is totally self interested - I never pushed her into barracking for the Bombers. Obviously, there was a peer pressure thing at her primary school about following a footy team. She took it on board that I love the Bombers and that was that. She wanted to know all about them, and lucky for me, I have tapes dating back to 1990. She has an understanding of our past success and our past champions (she loves Tim Watson!). I don't have a problem with her at the games.....she just sits there and studies what is happening. The look on her face when Lloyd took "that" mark was just a gold moment - jaw dropped, jumped up from her seat, screamed, clapped and then waved her Bombers cap in the air, which was signed by Lloyd . Just magic. I see other kids at the games who are restless and disinterested......I've got it good!!

And it's hard to keep my teeth in when umpire Nicholls is at our game :wink:
Sounds exactly like me as a kid, though im guessing she is alot prettier :)
You have to love little kids who want to follow the same team you do, even though you never forced them too. To me, it shows that they respect you and just love being with you. Going to the footy is probably a just a bi-product to spending time with your father. Thats probably what she thinks

I know with me, my old man has been going to the footy since 1964 (7 years old then), and not just here and there, but to around 16 games a year back then, squeezing in at all suburban grounds, until now, we go every week. I have been going since 1989, roughly 16-18 games a year and to this day, being a 26 year old, it feels very wierd for me to go to the footy without him. When he had cancer, the first bout of chemo knocked him out big time, so he missed 4 games, and so did I.

Its amazing what footy can do.

EDIT: Please note that just because you didn't follow the same team your dad did, it doesn't mean you dont respect him. I dont want to offend anyone with what I said. I am merely pointing out to BD that his daughter clearly loves him veyr much and loves being with him, whether its football or tea parties with her dolls.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Rosso, I dont follow my dad's team but that's cause he was a Carrrrrrrlton boy until my grandfather won him over to be a Saint... that isn't a sign of disrespect, it's a sign of being smarter :D
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.