Delistings

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Muzzareewa
Top Up Player

Delistings

Post by Muzzareewa »

Despite the risk of enflaming the J Watson debate, I am interested in peoples' thoughts as to who we should look at delisting this year.

Let's be realistic, there are a number of blokes who have not lived up to hopes and they need to go if we are any chance of rebuilding a Premiership team.

I think:

Reynolds, K Bradley, Peverill (no room for two slow players with poor skills, and I think JJ is the one), Solomon, Welsh (trade?)
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

You forgot Henneman and Bolton.

I'd assume Rama won't be on the list next year either... not sure if they'll be working out some sort of potential arrangement for the future but I'll be sorry to see him leave. Of course, I assume he'll hang around and play some other role in the club.
Last edited by Boyler_Room on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Fair to say the Kepler won't be playing AFL footy in three years time. There's simply not a position he can play.

Defence - too slow, lacks ticker to go with a forward all game and spoiling skills are junk. Doesn't provide any run off the back line. Had a reasonable season in defence in 2005 but that was when he was played as a loose forward, similar to Jason Cloke in his glory days, and could float across the front of packs unchecked and take marks. When he's given someone to man up on however, he's all at sea. Was an embarrassment when he played on Richo.

Midfield – too slow, kicking under pressure is a joke, lacks football instincts and rarely gives to the first option

Forward – worst set shot in the league. The amount of times I saw him miss this year from 20m dead in front was frightening. It reminded me of Paul Hills. Crap mark under pressure and too slow on the lead.

Ruck – serviceable at a pinch but certainly no ruckman.

My only hope is that other teams, maybe the two teams from the West, have also been conned by his form in the WAFL and want to trade something for him. Personally, I'd take anything or him. Either a draft pick, or half a warm can of Tooheys New. What a damned waste of a number 6 pick.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

gringo wrote:Personally, I'd take anything or him. Either a draft pick, or half a warm can of Tooheys New. What a damned waste of a number 6 pick.
Add that to #4 for Bolton... hey we've got the best recruiters in the game. :shock:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Agree on Bradley, spot on Gringo and Boyler Room, although Reynolds is a worse set shot.

Agree with Muzzareewa on Pev. Watson and JJ are both slow with lousy skills, 3 is way too many.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Oh, I forgot. News to warm the heart. Apparently Essendon sent a bunch of our young players (including Winda, Watson, Stanton, Monfries) over to Japan to teach english. It's meant to be some sort of leadership development thing. Anyhoo, the take home point here is that Kepler wasn't given an invite. I'd be guessing that Essendon are going to be going hell for leather to trade him during the off-season! Having said that, I kinda feel sorry for the guy. Can't be nice watching the other youngsters heading off to Japan whilst your employer try and trade you. Apparently he's meant to be a bit of a clown around the club as well. Oh well, we aint in the charity business...
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Kepler will be under going additional training in the off season to improve speed and endurance. He is still learning and is worth nother year to see improvement.

Pev, Bolts, Henn,Reynolds will all be traded or delisted.

Welsh may be traded but will still be at EFC if no trade is made.

I would also expect solly to be traded. Cole will be border line and Rama will retire (hopefully only temporarily)

Dyson and Winder may be fighting for the one position and every chance one may be traded
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Can't agree with the anti Bradley comments.

He's played for for three years, mainly at Bendigo for the first and put into positions due to injury when the team itself is low in confidence during the past two seasons. Go to remember the boy is only 20 if that.

I like Bradley and I think he will be a player. He in my opinion is good overhead, he does run straight and make a contest and this year kicked some pretty good goals. Was not our worst player by a mile.

Yes he got smashed by Richo this year but he's not the first and won't be the last to have that happen to them.

As far as the delistings and departures, trade bait and question marks, these players in my opinion would be looked at:

Delisted: Henneman, Reynolds, Cartledge.

Retired: Rioli, Ramanauskas

Trade Bait: McPhee, Solomon, Welsh,Laycock (if he's still got the shits), J Johnson (if he's still got the shits), Nash, Bolton, Peverill

Question Marks: Lee, Jolley (if he will be promoted), Nash (if he not traded)

* Out of trade bait, if a deal can't be done we will keep McPhee, Welsh, Laycock, J Johnson, Solomon

If a deal can't be done I think we'll delist Bolton and Peverill.

Expect a lot of changes. Just a gut feeling I've got.
efc4evr
Top Up Player

Post by efc4evr »

Bolton ... GIVE HIM A CONTRACT!!!!
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Does anyone know if Heffernen was contracted for one year or two?

I think the ones everyone agrees on are: Riolli, Rama (hopefully temporarily), Reynolds and Henneman. Most agree on Bolton.

So that is 5.

On other candidates:

Cartledge: I think we have to keep him. With Laycock so injured (or traded depending on rumours), and Ryder so young, I think we have to have a ruckman around who has a good 3 to 4 years under his belt - i.e. has some chance in the ruck. Additionally, I think he has looked ok as a tap ruckmen, and we know they take longer than most to develop. If we delist him and keep Laycock, we'll have two young ruckmen who are top 10 draftpicks (Laycock & Ryder). We need a fourth ruckmen, and in that case we'd only want to use a pick like 52. Given we're hoping the extra ruck would be backup (behind Hille, Laycock, Ryder), it just doesn't make sense to have an 18 year old picked up at pick 52, instead of Cartledge.

Bradley: I agree with Bombercol. Bradley is young, and shown his best when he's got his speed up, as he did near the end of 2005 & 2006. Then, I think he looks like a winger in the style of Goodes (NOT saying he'll be that good). Given we'd get almost nothing for him at the moment, I think it would be stupid to trade/delist him.

Peverill: Again, can't agree to getting rid of him. Sure, he had a terrible first half of the year. So did JJ. But he's been one of our best midfielders over the last few seasons, and showed what he can do in the 2nd half of the year. He's a terrific link player, and as sides now need 8+ midfielders, I think he is easily in our top 5 still.

Solomon: I think we've got to get rid of him (but then, I said that last year). He's not tall enough to play KP defence, not fast enough for small forwards/midfield. Doesn't have the skill to play forward. And is so ill-disciplined. If we can't trade him, I'd cut him.

Defenders: I'd get rid of at least one, maybe two defenders. I'd think about trading Welsh, and possibly NLM. Why? Because we have depth here. With McVeigh, McPhee, NLM, Welsh, Cole, MJ we have a lot of small=>medium defenders who are quite good. Its also a position where youngsters are often played (think Slattery). So if we want more picks, this is where they should come from. Given MJ's and McPhee's seasons, I don't think we'd get value for them, and I wouldn't trade McVeigh. So I'd put NLM and Welsh up on the block. Sure, they do give us drive, but they're also pretty unaccountable. I think for team balance, and to get GOOD picks, these two are our best options to trade.

So in my books, that would now be 8. If Heffernen is uncontracted, I'd delist him as I don't think its chance that his best games coincided with when we were playing poor - I just don't think he has any impact on a game now days.

That would be nine gone, and that is more than sufficient. Between NLM and Welsh, we might get 2 2nd round picks (fingers crossed), which might mean we'd have 5 picks in the top 30 if we're lucky.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Heff was signed for two years. Out of contract at the end of next year.

Can't see a lot of opportunity for apart from providing some depth in the case of injury.

If he has a year that is nothing special I would expect that he'll retire or be delisted then.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Thanks. Pretty stupid thing to do given every other club had to pass him up in the first round of the PSD for us to get him. Certainly implied everyone else had a certain view of him.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

I had a dream last night that McPhee would be traded to someone from West Coast. And that Inglis will get B.O.G (is there like anorm smith equivalent) in the rugby final this week. The funny thing is tho, i didnt even know who inglis was until I read an article on him in the paper this morning. Freaky shit.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Delist: reynolds and perhaps Henneman and/or Bolton(first use as trade bait). If we only get rid of four players including retirements (eg. rioli, rama, reynolds & Henno) then just dont use pick 52. Similar to what antcl said just keep a guy like Carledge instead.

If we get rid of 5 and lets add Bolton to the previous list. then we could use our first 4 selections in national draft and then either use the selection 52 or pick up someone in the PSD (if there is a suitable available player).

Other than that I dont feel their will be too many changes, doubt we'll be active in trade week. Solly, Peve, Bradley (not totally sure on him if he'll make it, but willing to wait it out), welsh, laycock and others listed will all stay I think. Unless we trade Bolton. Just my opionion.

The only other option I can think is if Sheedy wants to keep his love children Henno and Bolton, then we might see these other guys in trouble.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

nmgilbert wrote: And that Inglis will get B.O.G (is there like anorm smith equivalent) in the rugby final this week.
Yes, it's called the Clive Churchill Medal
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Not everyone agrees on the delist Henno situation boys......