Gumby-Rumour

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
LND
Top Up Player

Gumby-Rumour

Post by LND »

heard something very interesting about this young man recently..........................

tis good news IMO...........

The club made a decision during the year (not sure when) that would rap him in cotton wool and wait till he stops growing before they play him again. Apparently they think that once he stops growing and learns to use his body(??????) the injuries should stop. (including breaks) ?????

Apparently he has crept over the 200cm mark. A 200cm bloke with his pace and talent on the ground and in the air is bloody scary.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Gumby-Rumour

Post by BenDoolan »

Meanwhile, he gains no senior experience whatsoever. Yeah, great. Perhaps the Hawks should have done the same with Lance Franklin....so he wouldn't have been able to kick 110 goals at the age of 21.
Essendunny
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

BenDoolan wrote:Meanwhile, he gains no senior experience whatsoever. Yeah, great. Perhaps the Hawks should have done the same with Lance Franklin....so he wouldn't have been able to kick 110 goals at the age of 21.
Apples and Oranges.
LND
Top Up Player

Post by LND »

Firstly,

Franklin wasn't getting injured every time he stepped onto the ground, Gumby was.

The club thinks it will help him in the future. Which can only be good thing
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

The club have probably got a couple of years up their sleeve before Gumby is called upon to be #1 forward. There is no pressure at the moment, therefore, to play him injured to any extent (in a best case senario, of course). If he so much as gets cuts off on the Tulla on his way to the ground, he shouldn't be playing.

It dosen't make sense for a player to be sitting in the grandstand if they are 100% fit.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nomolos wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Meanwhile, he gains no senior experience whatsoever. Yeah, great. Perhaps the Hawks should have done the same with Lance Franklin....so he wouldn't have been able to kick 110 goals at the age of 21.
Apples and Oranges.
More like a lemon.
Essendunny
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

It sounds like a good idea to me. After seeing someone like Jobe Watson suffer from the same sort of injuries whilst in a growth spurt, it makes a lot of sense to preserve him through this period.

Bone structure tends to grow a lot faster than muscle length which is why fast growing players tend to get a lot of soft tissue injuries and look a bit unco until there body adapts to their new dimensions. Once Gumby adapts to his gigantic proportions you will see him gain a lot of confidence and poise - much like Jobe has. This process also gives me hope for continued improvement in Jobe's kicking over the next season or so.

Everytime someone does a hammy, scar tissue forms to repair the muscle (ie, the muscle doesn't grow back), therefore the muscle is a little bit weaker forever. That's why players who do a hammy once, tend to do it over and over again. I think a player who has done a hamstring injury before, is 8 times more likely to do another. I think it would be a good thing to preserve Gumby's body during an injury prone period in his development. At least this way we minimise chances of recurring injury during his prime (later on in his career).
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

LND wrote:heard something very interesting about this young man recently..........................

tis good news IMO...........

The club made a decision during the year (not sure when) that would rap him in cotton wool and wait till he stops growing before they play him again. Apparently they think that once he stops growing and learns to use his body(??????) the injuries should stop. (including breaks) ?????

Apparently he has crept over the 200cm mark. A 200cm bloke with his pace and talent on the ground and in the air is bloody scary.

Does this mean he is now right to go? I'd like to see him at least play pre-season cup.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nmgilbert wrote:It sounds like a good idea to me. After seeing someone like Jobe Watson suffer from the same sort of injuries whilst in a growth spurt, it makes a lot of sense to preserve him through this period.

Bone structure tends to grow a lot faster than muscle length which is why fast growing players tend to get a lot of soft tissue injuries and look a bit unco until there body adapts to their new dimensions. Once Gumby adapts to his gigantic proportions you will see him gain a lot of confidence and poise - much like Jobe has. This process also gives me hope for continued improvement in Jobe's kicking over the next season or so.

Everytime someone does a hammy, scar tissue forms to repair the muscle (ie, the muscle doesn't grow back), therefore the muscle is a little bit weaker forever. That's why players who do a hammy once, tend to do it over and over again. I think a player who has done a hamstring injury before, is 8 times more likely to do another. I think it would be a good thing to preserve Gumby's body during an injury prone period in his development. At least this way we minimise chances of recurring injury during his prime (later on in his career).
You make me sick with your precise anatomical speak :wink:
Essendunny
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

BenDoolan wrote:
nmgilbert wrote:It sounds like a good idea to me. After seeing someone like Jobe Watson suffer from the same sort of injuries whilst in a growth spurt, it makes a lot of sense to preserve him through this period.

Haha, at least you only have to hear a little bit of it - you should see how much my girlfriend hates it!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

So what's Courtney Dempsey's excuse?? He's hardly going through a growth spurt!!!

Sorry, most ridiculous rumour of the off season thus far.

(our off season that is :oops: )
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I don't think this is the case. Muscle cells are amongst the most dynamic in the body and their turn over rate is so fast. With static stretching you can see muscle length increases over a period of weeks.

You're spot on about having to adapt to the size though, it can take time for the body to aclimatise to it's new length and proportion.

On the topic of resting him though, that is insanity. He MUST get as much time in the AFL next year as possible. The learning curve is so massive and he is bascially still a first year player.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Sismis wrote:I don't think this is the case. Muscle cells are amongst the most dynamic in the body and their turn over rate is so fast. With static stretching you can see muscle length increases over a period of weeks.
You could be right there sismis, i'm just going by what i remember learning from uni. However i'm pretty sure i learnt what i said in both a physio and an exercise science degree. But then again i could have learnt it wrong!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

nmgilbert wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Haha, at least you only have to hear a little bit of it - you should see how much my girlfriend hates it!
I'm sure your pillow talk is... creative :D
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Well, she knows how to shut me up - lets put it that way! But I wouldn't get too excited, we're both Christians so it probably ain't quite as explicit as what that implies...
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

nmgilbert wrote:
Sismis wrote:I don't think this is the case. Muscle cells are amongst the most dynamic in the body and their turn over rate is so fast. With static stretching you can see muscle length increases over a period of weeks.
You could be right there sismis, i'm just going by what i remember learning from uni. However i'm pretty sure i learnt what i said in both a physio and an exercise science degree. But then again i could have learnt it wrong!
I'm just hypothesising, could well be the case.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I hear that he is developing webbed feet and large peculiar ear lobes as well. Let's hope he doesn't become amphibious because as a long term back man and damaging forward while resting from ruck duties, these abnormal physical traits could restrict him from single-handedly lifting us into the top 4 next year. :roll:
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

hop wrote:I hear that he is developing webbed feet and large peculiar ear lobes as well. Let's hope he doesn't become amphibious because as a long term back man and damaging forward while resting from ruck duties, these abnormal physical traits could restrict him from single-handedly lifting us into the top 4 next year. :roll:
:lol: =D>
You made me spit coffee on my computer #-o