Maggots one and all....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Maggots one and all....

Post by Crazyman »

After the pathetic umpiring of the Hawks game, I am of the opinion that the players would make better on field umpires than all the shite that is currently out there umpiring (I mean attempting to umpire...I mean f****** our great game up...)

The 50m penalties, whilst technically there, should never have been paid and has stated in another thread, the holding the ball decisions are deplorable...

I don't remember which commentator it was, but I certainly agree that the 50m needs to be kept for serious offences and bring back the 15m penalty for the bullshit niggly shit like the slightest tug on a guernsey or putting ones arms around the opponent so he can't run away from you...

I sincerely hope that the umpires do not think and umpire the game like they are the key players on the field in the Grand Final, but unfortunately, I don't hold out much hope :(
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Maggots one and all....

Post by swoodley »

I thought the umpiring was fine until they farked up a few times in the last quarter (eg: the brad johnson non decision)

Re the 50 metre penalties. Whilst agreeing that the penalties were too harsh, the players are professional footballers and know that they are not able to grab a player after a mark. That they continue to do so shows that either (a) the pressure of the game gets to them or (b) they are slow learners.

On a night when over 100 marks are paid, 2-3 infringements show that the majority of the players understand the rule and it's consequences. Occasionally 1-2 players have a brain fade and infringe and thus the umpires pay the 50m as they should.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Swoods, I know what you are saying, but FFS, every score in the first quarter was the direct result of a free kick and/or 50m penalty...

One of them was such a bad call because the player taking the mark backed into the man on the mark!!!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Crazyman wrote:Swoods, I know what you are saying, but FFS, every score in the first quarter was the direct result of a free kick and/or 50m penalty...

One of them was such a bad call because the player taking the mark backed into the man on the mark!!!
True, but didn't the player on the mark then grab the other guy's jumper....a reflex action for sure but the penalty was still there.

And it was certainly interesting watching the scores pile up from free kicks and 50m penalties but I didn't have an issue with any of the decisions made at that time.

As I said earlier, it was one of the better performances from the maggots until those couple of poor decisions in the last quarter.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

swoodley wrote:
Crazyman wrote:Swoods, I know what you are saying, but FFS, every score in the first quarter was the direct result of a free kick and/or 50m penalty...

True, but didn't the player on the mark then grab the other guy's jumper....a reflex action for sure but the penalty was still there.

And it was certainly interesting watching the scores pile up from free kicks and 50m penalties but I didn't have an issue with any of the decisions made at that time.

As I said earlier, it was one of the better performances from the maggots until those couple of poor decisions in the last quarter.
No, that was the one where he basically hugged him on reflex...the jumper pull was a bit more of a fifty, but even there, it was the slightest of grabs and barely got the stitching around the armpit...also, we will have to disagree on whether it was one of their better performances and I still believe that the 50m penalty should be reserved for serious infringements and that shit like that should at worst be 15m as in the old days...
LND
Top Up Player

Post by LND »

maybe the AFL should adapt Law 43 from the Cricket Rules:

there are only 42 Laws of Cricket as administered by the MCC.

Law 43 is an unwritten and unofficial law that basically allows the umpires to apply common sense.
LND
Top Up Player

Post by LND »

or maybe they could something like this together for all AFL umpires

http://www.cricketvictoria.com.au/files ... inners.pdf