Wirra IN - Graham OUT

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Wirra IN - Graham OUT

Post by Jazz_84 »

There had been speculation that Drew Banfield or Steven Armstrong could be eased out of the line-up, but the West Coast selectors opted for Graham who played every home and away match for the Eagles as well as last week's prelim.
extremely harsh, included for every match this year and dropped for the Grand Final, i would be gutted and quite frankly pretty pissed off with the club!!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

They got scared by the fact that a few of their big guys, namely Hansen, Travis Gaspar and Gardiner didn't fire a shot in last year's GF, hence they don't want any more than the bare minimum of talls this year,

I think it's a very very tough call. But it's the right one.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Banfield is a hack, i would have done it to him.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

A big story in the West Australian about Graham growing up living with his Grandparents and how they have made it to Melbourne for the game. A real human interest story buggered up by a decision at the selection table. :(
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

swoodley wrote:A big story in the West Australian about Graham growing up living with his Grandparents and how they have made it to Melbourne for the game. A real human interest story buggered up by a decision at the selection table. :(
Be good if it came back to bite them.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

...Even though i think it'll probably end up being the right decision in hindsight, it's interesting to see that Worsfold has gone with the sentiment rather than selection merits alone. You'd think Worsfold would be the last guy on earth who'd choose sentimentality over logic. Perhaps Graham should've got in on selection merit, but dropping a guy before a Grand Final immediately prior to retirement in Banfield would be very harsh too. Considering that i reckon the Eagles will be a top 4 side for at least the next 3 years, Graham will get his chance another day.

Also, the fact that Phil Matera last year and Worsfold himself in 1998 wound up missing a finals match immediately prior to retirement probably influenced him as well. He'd know it's a crappy feeling to retire without the opportunity of playing in what is a player's last match.
Sol
Top Up Player

Re: Wirra IN - Graham OUT

Post by Sol »

Jazz_84 wrote:
There had been speculation that Drew Banfield or Steven Armstrong could be eased out of the line-up, but the West Coast selectors opted for Graham who played every home and away match for the Eagles as well as last week's prelim.
extremely harsh, included for every match this year and dropped for the Grand Final, i would be gutted and quite frankly pretty pissed off with the club!!
Ah yes its not like essendon would do anything like that. Not!!

Was dropping Derick kickett to keep Watson in the gf a mistake?

Hard call, but the coach would know what best suits his immediate and future requirements.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Re: Wirra IN - Graham OUT

Post by Crowny »

Ah yes its not like essendon would do anything like that. Not!!

Was dropping Derick kickett to keep Watson in the gf a mistake?

Hard call, but the coach would know what best suits his immediate and future requirements.[/quote]

With regard to Kickett he had several chances to stake a claim in previous matches. He was lucky that he wasnt dropped beforehand and his form in the previous weeks hadnt been that good.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Tough decision, but you someone needs to make way for a quality player like Wirra.

Would be very difficult to take though. In all year, and get left out of the GF.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Not sure that the decision to drop Graham ahead of Banfield is necessarily based on sentiment alone. Banfield hasn't had that bad of a year. The other major factor is that he is the most experienced player in the team - and you want experienced players in Grand Finals.

If its a line ball decision between a kid and a veteran, in a GF i reckon you would go for the veteran almost every time.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I would have kept Graham in.

Woosha only has one plan B - send Hunter forward. Hunter and Glass are going to have their hands full with Hall and O'Loughin, with no one else who can play tall defence.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

I don't totally agree that Banfield was only selected due Worsfold finding it too hard to drop his old mate.
Banfield has finals experience and has been in a winning GF side, knows what it takes, and can still provide some pace and leadership.

I think its usually the young players who struggle on GF day under immense pressure - and maybe the right call was made.