10 Vic teams not sustainable

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

10 Vic teams not sustainable

Post by j-mac31 »

I tend to agree that having ten teams in Victoria is not going to work in the future. It isn't really fair for a national competition for one thing, but there just isn't enough money for it to remain. I think the AFL should force some moves and I know that it will piss off many people, it will create a better comp IMO. I reckon four Melbourne teams, plus Geelong would be a good fit, maybe one more. Apparently Perth is could have a third team according to the Age last week, but I don't think Adelaide could - Port's crowds over their short history have not been great compared to Adelaide's (not sure if that is because there isn't that many supporters, or they all hate Port from the SANFL).

I think the AFL should look into something like this:

Vic
Essendon Bombers
Collingwood ********
Carlton Dickheads
Richmond Tigers
Geelong Cats

SA
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power

WA
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
Perth Demons

NSW
Sydney Swans
Western (Sydney) Bulldogs

QLD
Brisbane Lions
Southport Saints*

NT
Darwin Kangaroos

Tas
Hobart Hawks*#

* If a team on the Gold Coast is not a viable option, keep Hawthorn in Melbourne and send St Kilda to Tassy.
# May have to be Tasmania Hawks and play in Launceston and Hobart.

I don't know how a second team in Sydney would go (may have to play a few games in Canberra) or ones in Darwin and Tasmania, but I think it would work as well as the current situation with plenty of Victorian teams asking for handouts from the AFL.
Last edited by j-mac31 on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

The money it would take to prop up teams in new locations would be more than what it takes to prop up the current format.

There is absolutely no talk here in Perth of another AFL team.

They already feel that there are more than enough professional sports teams competing for the corporate dollar.

There is a story in today's paper about Perth Glory who a few years ago were the darlings of the town. Now they have no owner, no major sponsor and falling crowds.

The Wildcats (NBL) are back playing in a facility that only holds about 4000 people when once they played before sell out crowds of over 8000.

A new or relocated AFL team would really struggle for support here.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Re: 10 Vic teams not sustainable

Post by Western Red »

j-mac wrote:I tend to agree that having ten teams in Victoria is not going to work in the future. It isn't really fair for a national competition for one thing, but there just isn't enough money for it to remain. I think the AFL should force some moves and I know that it will piss off many people, it will create a better comp IMO. I reckon four Melbourne teams, plus Geelong would be a good fit, maybe one more. Apparently Perth is could have a third team according to the Age last week, but I don't think Adelaide could - Port's crowds over their short history have not been great compared to Adelaide's (not sure if that is because there isn't that many supporters, or they all hate Port from the SANFL).

I think the AFL should look into something like this:

Vic
Essendon Bombers
Collingwood ********
Carlton Dickheads
Richmond Tigers
Geelong Cats

SA
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Magpies

WA
West Coast Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
Perth Demons

NSW
Sydney Swans
Western (Sydney) Bulldogs

QLD
Brisbane Lions
Southport Saints*

NT
Darwin Kangaroos

Tas
Hobart Hawks*#

* If a team on the Gold Coast is not a viable option, keep Hawthorn in Melbourne and send St Kilda to Tassy.
# May have to be Tasmania Hawks and play in Launceston and Hobart.

I don't know how a second team in Sydney would go (may have to play a few games in Canberra) or ones in Darwin and Tasmania, but I think it would work as well as the current situation with plenty of Victorian teams asking for handouts from the AFL.
Wait for grassy's reply to this one!!!!!!!!!!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Port Adelaide Magpies or Collingwood Magpies?? can't have 2 teams called the magpies
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Jazz_84 wrote:Port Adelaide Magpies or Collingwood Magpies?? can't have 2 teams called the magpies
That's why he's called them the Collingwood F****wits
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Ugh... I shudder when I see/hear these types of discussions.

I can't see anything along any of these lines happening. North Melbourne have been "going to" move for nearly 10 years... it's not going to happen.

The AFL made a mistake by turning the VFL into the AFL if they wanted to make it an "equal" kind of national competition. They should have started a new league with the top clubs from each league, or brand new teams. That was never going to happen though because the VFL was widely recognised as the best football league in the country... which is why players from other leagues would work their way into the VFL.

Yes, Fitzroy merged with Brisbane, but that wasn't a relocation. It would be a disgrace to see other teams treated so poorly just because the AFL wanted to make the competition more "national". How would you feel about Essendon being relocated? I wouldn't be overly happy about that.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:Port Adelaide Magpies or Collingwood Magpies?? can't have 2 teams called the magpies
That's why he's called them the Collingwood F****wits
sorry i thought id put a serious spin on things
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sorry, meant Port Power. changed

To bad if the AFL screwed up by not staying Victorian, it is now a national comp.
swoodley wrote:The money it would take to prop up teams in new locations would be more than what it takes to prop up the current format.

There is absolutely no talk here in Perth of another AFL team.

They already feel that there are more than enough professional sports teams competing for the corporate dollar.

There is a story in today's paper about Perth Glory who a few years ago were the darlings of the town. Now they have no owner, no major sponsor and falling crowds.

The Wildcats (NBL) are back playing in a facility that only holds about 4000 people when once they played before sell out crowds of over 8000.

A new or relocated AFL team would really struggle for support here.
Soccer's boring and NBL crowds have dropped everywhere - Tigers used to fill RLA (15,000 seats) but now struggle to fill SNAHC (3,500).
There was an article in The Age last week or the week before that said that Perth was the best city for a new team and could sustain one.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Perth cant handle another team. Simple as that, Carlton can no longer be seen as untouchable. They have shown next to no improvement.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Really, there are no more areas in Australia that can support a full time AFL team in the fully professional situation we have ourselves today.

I dont buy into the thinking that Western Sydney and the Gold Coast are sustainable areas that the AFL could consider moving a team there, even in the long run.

What makes the SA and WA different in that they can sustain two teams each is not so much that they are "traditional football states" (even though that helps), but because they have substansial state based competitions in which to source players, officials and most importantly, support.

Why Adelaide and WCE so good in the early days is because they were fully backed by the state competition, (In Adelaide's case at least, they were a SANFL entity). In representing their state competitions, They could gather support from local supporters of WAFL/SANFL clubs because they had "ownership" in that team. Fremantle in a way did that, but had the added benefit of being closely associated with East Fremantle and South Fremantle.

No promient state based competitions in NSW and the Gold Coast would almost abolish any chance of an AFL club in today's competition being successful.

Taking this all into account, it seems a sheer miracle that Brisbane got of the ground and got competitive in the few years before the merge with Fitzroy.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i live up here in brissy and ive said it once and ill say it again, the gold coast is not a place for an AFL team it just wont create any profit, the sunny coast would be a better place i would think, since they actually have a team there but even then it's a massive gamble
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

There will ALWAYS be 10 teams in Victoria as long as the AFL keep proping up the 4-5 clubs that can't get members,good sponsership and can't run their clubs properly.
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Jazz_84 wrote:i live up here in brissy and ive said it once and ill say it again, the gold coast is not a place for an AFL team it just wont create any profit, the sunny coast would be a better place i would think, since they actually have a team there but even then it's a massive gamble
Agree.
We don't want plastic face lifts,bullshit blonds and white shoe aresholes running our game,
Ron Clarle should be ashamed of himself.
Stick to Brisbane only.If they don't;big mistake.