Grand Final Champions

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Grand Final Champions

Post by bombercol »

Picked up a nice book called Grand Final Champions where the author names a player who had a huge bearing on the result of the game but not necessarily was the Norm Smith Medallist. It's for each GF since 1957.

It's very light and enjoyable.

Just for interest sake the EFC premierships and the players who had a big say in the winning results in this book were:-

1962 - John Birt 19 kicks 4 goals

1965 - Brian Sampson 2 goals, key role in six goals, caused four turnovers from St Kilda kick ins, ruckman

1984 - Leon Baker 4 goals 20 possies, heart and soul of the recovery.

1985 - Paul Weston 28 possies, opponent was J Dunstall who had 4 possies.

1993 - Gary O'Donnell 33 possies, 9 marks, midfield general, killed Carlton in clearances and hard ball gets effectively shutting down their midfield

2000 - Justin Blumfield (Our Canberra boys have done us proud) 23 possies, 1 goal, set up 4 goals.

Some nice Essendon memories
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Grand Final Champions

Post by billyduckworth »

1985 - Paul Weston 28 possies, opponent was J Dunstall who had 4 possies.

Greatly underrated, this man. We used to call him "the gentleman".
Just went about his business without any fuss. Could shut down players like Dunstall but also create things himself.
Was also quite important in the 1984 GF when switched to the forward line.
Pity he went back to WA in 1986.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Yes, but Jason Dunstall was hardly a force to be reckoned with in 1985. He was an up and comer then, and if I remember correctly, he spent copius amounts of time on the interchange bench in that Grand Final. 12 months later he kicked 6 goals in their premiership victory and was emerging as a superstar full forward.

Still, Weston was a top notch full back for the 3 seasons he was with us. I think he played in 5 losing SANFL Grand Finals (as CHF for Glenelg I believe) before coming over in 1983. He then played in that demoralising 1983 Grand Final for us and must have wondered if he was just a jinx. You can imagine his emotion after 1984......couldn't stop the tears. He had tasted premiership glory for the first time in 7 attempts. Backed it up in 1985 and then gave up his career as a happy and contented man.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

1993 and 2000 - I honestly felt while watching those GFs that O'Donnell and Blumfield deserved the NSM - but were overlooked for a couple of our more high-profile champs. (In '93 Bomber Thompson was freaking good that day too).
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

tonysoprano wrote:1993 and 2000 - I honestly felt while watching those GFs that O'Donnell and Blumfield deserved the NSM - but were overlooked for a couple of our more high-profile champs. (In '93 Bomber Thompson was freaking good that day too).
When I watched the '93 GF live, I thought that GO'D deserved the NSM but after watching it many more times over the years, I think that the panel got it right with Longy. He was awesome that day and provided the X factor that very few players can do.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gee wizz, I thought Long was a clear winner of the NSM in 1993. He was a stealth Bomber that day, just obliterated Carlton with precision. Both got the same amount of disposals, but Long kicked 2 goals with one being an absolute corker. To be honest, I hardly noticed GO'D during the game and was surprised to read how many disposals he actually got.

It would be like comparing Steve and Mark Waugh centuries - equal in performance, but you know Mark Waugh would have been far more better to watch.
Essendunny
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

bombercol wrote:2000 - Justin Blumfield (Our Canberra boys have done us proud) 23 possies, 1 goal, set up 4 goals.
As good as Blumfield was that day, I reckon Paul Barnard would have a fair shout. Off the bench, I think 20 possessions and kicked four goals. =D>
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Ossie wrote:
bombercol wrote:2000 - Justin Blumfield (Our Canberra boys have done us proud) 23 possies, 1 goal, set up 4 goals.
As good as Blumfield was that day, I reckon Paul Barnard would have a fair shout. Off the bench, I think 20 possessions and kicked four goals. =D>
Barny was super wasn't he. In fact he had a tremendous final series. I still reminisce over his amazing attack on the footy and handball to Smoking Joe for a stunning goal v North in that famous belting.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

tonysoprano wrote:
Ossie wrote:
Barny was super wasn't he. In fact he had a tremendous final series. I still reminisce over his amazing attack on the footy and handball to Smoking Joe for a stunning goal v North in that famous belting.
"To Misiti, lines it up, drills it! This as good as it gets! This is champagne footy!"
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Ossie wrote:
"To Misiti, lines it up, drills it! This as good as it gets! This is champagne footy!"
:D =D> Right on Ossie.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

I watched to '93 GF the other day (again) and GO'D absolutely smashed the Blues in the midfield. Was everywhere and could have kicked 3-4 goals had he kicked straight.

Long was very good (I didn't realise he had as many disposals as GO'D and I would not dispute the wisdom of BD on this forumn) but I would have given the chocolates to GO'D for his clearance work especially out of the centre.

Was also good to watch a young bloke wearing number 5 dominate in the second qtr :D :D :D
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

I thought Hird was an obvious b.o.g in 2000. As good as Blumfield was, Hird, like many other times in his career was effective with every touch. He had the ability to be the most dominant player on the ground even with a small amount of touches. 29 disposals, 7 marks, 2 goals, 4 free kicks for.. was a perfect comeback, followed by the jim stynes medal for the best player in the international rules series. They were good times. Everytime he ran on the ground he made you believe we were half a shot at winning.

Caracella was also underated, 21 touches & 3 goals. Lloyd had a solid game, 16 touches, 4 goals. Misiti 26 touches. Mercuri 22, & 1 goal. Over half the players on the team had the ability to be best on ground each week that year.. :)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Everyone forgets Mark Johnson and the job he performed on Jeff Farmer (who kicked 9 goals the previous week)
Essendunny
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

BenDoolan wrote:Everyone forgets Mark Johnson and the job he performed on Jeff Farmer (who kicked 9 goals the previous week)
Absolutely smashed him. There's a bit of commentary from either Blight or Dunstall that I absolutely hate, where in the final quarter he gets a little chip pass with ten minutes or so to go and the heat's gone out of the game.
One of them says "that's the only real gift he's got" - er, no gentlemen, the first goal was for a hold that wasn't there down the Punt Rd end, and the second was for throwing his head back to win a free when tackled quite legitimately by Jason Johnson.
:evil: :lol:
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

Yeah MJ was great, played with an injury too i believe. Bruised ribs?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

25th ANNIVERSARY of 1984
60th ANNIVERSARY of 1949
85th ANNIVERSARY of 1924

If such a thing is possible with 85.I assume there will be a REUNION organised at least for the 1984 lads,if we play the Hawks at Home.Or one of the Home Games.How many of our 1949 side remains Alive and Well?At least HONOUR them and the others in a Toast to Friends Past.