West Coast - a new dynasty?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

West Coast - a new dynasty?

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Just going through the West Coast list, i'm convinced they're going to be in serious premiership contention for close to 5 years. Have a look at their best players (currently) and their ages, and weigh that against players that are likely to retire over the next 3-4 years:

Best (most important) players/ages:
Judd/23; Kerr/23; Cox/25; Cousins/28; Embley/25; Fletcher/27; Lynch/23; Glass/25; Wirrpanda/27; Hansen/23.

Imminent retirees over the next 3 years:
Rowan Jones, Banfield, Chick.

For this reason above all else, i think the Eagles are going to be close to the best team for a long time. I say that with the obvious proviso that they keep the core of their list together, and they don't get serious or long-term injuries to key players at the wrong times. This, of course, doesn't take into account how the other 15 teams are likely to perform over the next 3-5 years, and perhaps if another team can establish an accomplished list, then West Coast's dominance might not eventuate. But looking at West Coast's list in isolation and ignoring any other team, i think it's hard to not see them being a top 4 side, at least, for another 3-5 years.

They remind me, in a sense, of Brisbane circa 2001, when they had a great team and their best players were simulatenously at the peak of their form and no major retirements were on the horizon.

What do others think?

EDIT: By the way, i'm not for a second suggesting that the Eagles are as good or better than the Lions were in 01-04. They're clearly not. I just mentioned they remind of the Lions in '01 in the sense that both teams, at their respective points in time, looked set to dominate for a long time.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

They said the same about Essendon.

The Eagles have the cattle, but at the end of the day, it comes down to injuries and player management.

I wonder how Sydney would have gone this year if Hall missed every game after round 3 and Goodes was in and out of the side.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Did anyone hear the statistic about the swans injuries since roos has been coach. Goodes has missed 1 game i think, Kirk not many, Hall 4 through injury, etc.

Injuries certainly play a big part, but sydney seem to be quite good at avioding them.

West Coast certainly have the list though, to be a powerhouse team. They just need to maintain themselves.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

On the face of it the eagles have the players for a dynasty but I hope it doesnt eventuate. Mind you they said the same thing about Essendon in 2000.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Dynasty, probably not but there is no doubt they will remain competitive for a number of years. They still lack some polish up forward, but Hansen and Lynch have been able to get the job done.

As mentioned, a lot depends on injuries to key players, and also on the salary cap.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

They are being compared to Brisbane through 2001-2004. The only thing they have in common is an awesome midfield. Brisbane had the forwards and backmen where i don't think the Eagles do.
Don't get me wrong, they will be competative, but they have had an great 2-3 years with injuries, and their year will come around soon.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Premiership contenders - yeah. I reckon for about the next three years but i doubt they'll win more than 1 more. The other teams will just improve more than the eagles. If they got there hands on a decent forward they'd be a chance at a Brisbane-esque period of dominance but otherwise they dont stand a chance.

A good and interesting post Jimmy.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

salary cap will bust them in 2 years
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

DYSON#2 wrote:salary cap will bust them in 2 years
yeah you would assume so, depends how many of them are money driven
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

In my opinion they still need a regular forward to stand up week in week out. Lynch and Hansen have not made that their position (maybe 1 day). Brisbane had 'their' Lynch for all those years and a fairly handy player in Brown.

No doubt they will be a force, but I am not convinced they will win the next preimership. There maybe some truth in the rumour of going after Tarrant, but I doubt that will help them.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

With a midfield consisting of Cousins, Kerr, Judd and Cox in the ruck, it is amazing how they are not blitzing teams. How can a forward line struggle to kick goals with quality delivery from a midfield like that? But the fact is, WC have struggled to kick big scores, and they have struggled to convincingly beat a team like Sydney (Can someone please tell me who Sydney's gun midfield is?). West Coast couldn't beat Sydney last year, and only just scraped in this year. The games in between have also produced FA between them. They also struggled to beat us at the Dome, and only did so in the last 10 minutes. For some reason, they cannot put teams away. Can they improve on their current list? I don't think so. But they'll be around the top 6 for a few years yet purely because of their midfield strength.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Pretty well summed up, BenDoolan.

Yes, they have a great midfield, but lack really good KPP. If they really were as fantastic as some people are making them out to be, then they should have beaten Sydney by much more than 1 pt.

Having said that, they will certainly be thereabouts for quite a few years.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:With a midfield consisting of Cousins, Kerr, Judd and Cox in the ruck, it is amazing how they are not blitzing teams. How can a forward line struggle to kick goals with quality delivery from a midfield like that? But the fact is, WC have struggled to kick big scores, and they have struggled to convincingly beat a team like Sydney (Can someone please tell me who Sydney's gun midfield is?). West Coast couldn't beat Sydney last year, and only just scraped in this year. The games in between have also produced FA between them. They also struggled to beat us at the Dome, and only did so in the last 10 minutes. For some reason, they cannot put teams away. Can they improve on their current list? I don't think so. But they'll be around the top 6 for a few years yet purely because of their midfield strength.
Brisbane were the same. I think it's about how much effort you want to expend. They marshalled their strength and used it as required.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

I actually think Lynch & Hansen are going to be very very good.

so its a good thing the salary cap will force them to lose a few players!

(Oh, and on Essendon 1999=>2001, we did have important players leave the side. Within two years we'd lost Wallis (our CHB), Barnes (our ruck), Bewick & Long (absolute class players) and Hardwick (brilliant HBF)).
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Judd = 1 Brownlow + 1 NSM
Cousins = 1 Brownlow
Kerr = twice runner up Brownlow

All three will be wanting big dollars!!!!

Without the extra money that Brisbane got for the salary cap and with blokes like Hunter/Hansen/Waters and a few others who will be saying they want more money and not too many they can put on the vets list they will be hard pressed to keep all their guns!! Already heard that Cousins wants out as he can't fart in Perth without it being in the papers. Life in the fishbowl is hard to take sometimes! :shock:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:With a midfield consisting of Cousins, Kerr, Judd and Cox in the ruck, it is amazing how they are not blitzing teams. How can a forward line struggle to kick goals with quality delivery from a midfield like that? But the fact is, WC have struggled to kick big scores, and they have struggled to convincingly beat a team like Sydney (Can someone please tell me who Sydney's gun midfield is?). West Coast couldn't beat Sydney last year, and only just scraped in this year. The games in between have also produced FA between them. They also struggled to beat us at the Dome, and only did so in the last 10 minutes. For some reason, they cannot put teams away. Can they improve on their current list? I don't think so. But they'll be around the top 6 for a few years yet purely because of their midfield strength.
The key phrase is "quality delivery"

For all the ranting and raving about their midfield, one of the reasons they lost last year was due to the poor delivery from the midfield with Cousins and Fletcher being the main culprits.

Yes, their midfield is to be envied but (imo) they have a long way to go before they match Brisbane midfield of their glory years.

Dynasty's are rare things and is seems like most teams that win the flag (except Sydney last year) get that rap...but very few actually deliver on the promise.

Will they be as hungry next year after achieving the ultimate goal?

Will they have the run of luck with injuries again?

Personally, I hope they fall off their perch very quickly :twisted:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Also, remember that they won by 2 points, lost last year, and only beat Adelaide by 10 points. Fremantle defeated them at home. In 2001 Brisbane thrashed us.

However, with players like Nicoski, Rosa, Staker, Hurn, Morton, McKinley all missing the grand final, they do have a lot of depth.

Which is why we should try to pinch some of it! :lol: