NAB semi v filth

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
F111
Essendon Legend

NAB semi v filth

Post by F111 »

I expect a few changes to the line up as the exposure for the youngsters and careful conditioning of important senior players continues.

Hille may have a long season ahead. I wonder if he'll sit it out?

Zaharakis to come in, Houli and maybe Hurley?

Will Pears get a run? Where is he at right now?

Pies seem relatively free of injury issues and are going to be easy favourites I'd say. Oh thatwas hard to write, even for a NAB game.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Re: NAB semi v filth

Post by paddyl90 »

Yeh if we play like last week it will be ugly. But I have put it behind me and hope it stays in the past. We cannot play Lucas, Lloyd, Neagle and Gumby in the same team because forward defensive pressure was something lacked on Friday night due to the slowness of these tall lanky lads. The skills need a massive tune up or we will get what we deserve a massive spanking. Surprised to still be in with a chance but its good to be in the running for the trophy for the sake of it.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I would like to see a team selected around sheer pace. I do not think the filth are a quick team, especcially on their backline. With the abundance of speedsters available, it would be great to see an all out attack built around our quickest players.

The tall forward structure just did not work for both games this year as by the time the backs and mid fielders stuffed around with handball and lateral foot passes, the forward line was choked off. Invariably, the final kick into the forward line was either under pressure or from a static kick thus given our marking forwards little chance of leading or marking.

I beleive that we have the pace to defeat the zone. All we have to do is get it to Lovett just North of the centre line!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Someone please smash Dale Thomas into next season....please.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Surely Stants, Reimers and Hurley would be a chance to play. They probably need a compeitive run before the season proper. L-Murray and Atkinson also didint play and they will add some more pace in the side.

It might be a good idea to rest players like Hille, Watson and maybe Lloyd. We have nothing to lose on Friday night so i hope the boys go out there and really take it up to the Pies!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I'm not as confident as last week as the Filth have been playing quite well while we were no good at all. But in saying that if we had taken our chances we would have beaten Brisbane quite easily.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ealesy wrote:Someone please smash Dale Thomas into next season....please.
lets just hope Reimers plays :D

Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

We will cop a belting.

Hopefully we get a couple of younger players in to give them some exposure.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

Yep,

I'll be highly surprised if we get up. The Pies are playing the best pre-season footy in the league at the moment.

If we are competitive...i'll be happy. Knighta should be taking it as an opportunity to blood some youngsters.

All will be revealed on friday.
The Watson Factor....
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

A win is as unrealistic as the Weather Bureau getting a forecast for Melbourne correct.

Speed, speed and more speed are the 3 tactical ploys we should use. Forget the zoning crap - I don't care if we lose by 50 (again this is very difficult to write against the Filth - even though it is only NAB Cup) - it is about conditoning our players to the style of play we are best at and are going to use in the season proper.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

reading that, I reckon

Out: Lovett(rested), Fletcher(rested), Mcveigh(ankle).
In: Houli, Stanton, Pears or Hurley.

No news on Laycock, which is a bit of a worry, hoping he would get game time before round 1. He is going to be seriously underdone.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tom9779 wrote:No news on Laycock, which is a bit of a worry, hoping he would get game time before round 1. He is going to be seriously underdone.
I thought Laycock was definitely out until after the start of the season?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I don't know what KNIGHTA's playing at.The players he's Resting can have their REST on the Weekend of March 21 and so on.There's a TROPHY at STAKE here and the Coach is BEST ADVISED to start MOUNTING THE CABINET if he wants a LONG TERM FUTURE with us.

DON'T GIVE THOSE BASTARDS at Collingwood,Carlton and Geelong a BLOODY SNIFF OF IT!It's OUR'S TO WIN if we WANT THE SILVERWARE BAD ENOUGH!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote:I don't know what KNIGHTA's playing at.The players he's Resting can have their REST on the Weekend of March 21 and so on.There's a TROPHY at STAKE here and the Coach is BEST ADVISED to start MOUNTING THE CABINET if he wants a LONG TERM FUTURE with us.

DON'T GIVE THOSE BASTARDS at Collingwood,Carlton and Geelong a BLOODY SNIFF OF IT!It's OUR'S TO WIN if we WANT THE SILVERWARE BAD ENOUGH!
I'd rather be cautious with our "senior" guys. We've already lost Welsh and McVeigh, we don't want to lose other experienced players before the season proper starts. The trophy is a worthless piece of shit anyway - has absolutely no prestige whatsoever.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

It wasn't WORTHLESS in 2000.

3 More than Carlscum,if we win.Only 1 more if they do.I couldn't bear it! :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :-&
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Squad from AFL.com.au notable inclusions i think for the dons put in bold.

Collingwood v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, Friday 6 March, 7.40pm (AEDT)

COLLINGWOOD
Leon Davis 1, Leigh Brown 15, Brent Macaffer 30, John McCarthy 3, Nathan Brown 16, Chris Dawes 31, Alan Didak 4, Dayne Beams 17, Travis Cloke 32, Harry O'Brien 8, Martin Clarke 18, Alan Toovey 34, Jack Anthony 9, Cameron Wood 19, Simon Prestigiacomo 35, Scott Pendlebury 10, Ben Reid 20, Dane Swan 36, Shane O'Bree 11, Steele Sidebottom 22, Heath Shaw 39, Shannon Cox 12, Tarkyn Lockyer 24, Chris Bryan 40, Dale Thomas 13, Ben Johnson 26, Jaxson Barham 43, Anthony Corrie 14, Ryan Cook 29

ESSENDON
1. Jay Neagle, 2. Ricky Dyson, 3. Scott Gumbleton, 4. Jobe Watson, 5. Brent Stanton, 6. Angus Monfries, 7. Leroy Jetta, 8. Jason Winderlich, 11. David Zaharakis, 14. Sam Lonergan, 15. Courtenay Dempsey, 17. Jay Nash, 18. Matthew Lloyd, 19. David Hille, 20. Henry Slattery, 21. Hayden Skipworth, 22. Michael Hurley, 23. David Myers, 25. Scott Lucas, 28. Darcy Daniher, 29. Alwyn Davey, 30. Patrick Ryder, 33. Adam McPhee, 36. Tyson Slattery, 38. Jarrod Atkinson, 39. Heath Hocking, 42. Nathan Lovett-Murray, 43. Bachar Houli, 44. Tom Bellchambers
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

BenDoolan wrote:
grassy1 wrote:I don't know what KNIGHTA's playing at.The players he's Resting can have their REST on the Weekend of March 21 and so on.There's a TROPHY at STAKE here and the Coach is BEST ADVISED to start MOUNTING THE CABINET if he wants a LONG TERM FUTURE with us.

I'd rather be cautious with our "senior" guys. We've already lost Welsh and McVeigh, we don't want to lose other experienced players before the season proper starts. The trophy is a worthless piece of shit anyway - has absolutely no prestige whatsoever.
I agree, no prestige whatsoever.

But - of Essendon's past 4 day premierships - 1984,1985,1993 and 2000
We were in the preseason comp final everytime for that same year. And we won it 3 times(84,93 and 2000).

Of course that is just for the EFC...there are plenty of clubs who don''t have the same relationship(the lions never won it between 2001-2003, WC/Sydney never either i do not think).

re being careful with senior guys, i do not think thats it so much....a player is much more likely you would think to get injured if he is not match fit by round 1.

we are resting fletcher and lovett, mainly because we need to give other guys a go.(and those two have played plenty of footy already)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I agree, no prestige whatsoever.

But - of Essendon's past 4 day premierships - 1984,1985,1993 and 2000
We were in the preseason comp final everytime for that same year. And we won it 3 times(84,93 and 2000).

Of course that is just for the EFC...there are plenty of clubs who don''t have the same relationship(the lions never won it between 2001-2003, WC/Sydney never either i do not think).

re being careful with senior guys, i do not think thats it so much....a player is much more likely you would think to get injured if he is not match fit by round 1.

we are resting fletcher and lovett, mainly because we need to give other guys a go.(and those two have played plenty of footy already)
The one I like is that Carlton have won 2 of these tin pot trophies while they achieved 3 wooden spoons over the last 5 years
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

It would be great to win the NAB cup as we have been a little starved of success recently... but i am glad that Knighta is resting Fletch and Lovett. We cannot afford to lose those two for chunks of the season. We still have a pretty good side out there and im looking forward to seeing Hurley and Zaka play!!

Coll of course is expected to win but they too have rested Fraser and Maxwell and there is no Medhurst again this week. All the pressure will be on them to perform. Of course i willfeel awful if Carlton were to win the comp again this year... #-o
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

The pies have looked great this pre-season.

macguire was quoted as saying they are in premiership form this year... so it would be lovely to beat them tomorrow night.

carn the dons.