Scott Lucas for Centre Half Back

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

Scott Lucas for Centre Half Back

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

Dear Bombers Supporters,

Can I please encourage everyone to support my push for Scott to go to CHB ! Please tell the coaches!

Think of this , Fletcher, Ryder, Lucas, Dempsey plus 2 others -awesome !!!!!

Why do we need or want a forward line of 4 talls plus a resting Hille!
nomolos
Club Captain

Re: Scott Lucas for Centre Half Back

Post by nomolos »

Won his B&F at CHB.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Given the regularity that Gumby and Neagle miss games due to injury, I don't think we will be seeing too much of the much talked about four talls forward line.

I'm quite happy for Scotty to run around the forward line until he retires. He is a genuine threat to zone defences with his ability to kick the ball 60+ metres and will be more help in developing Gumby and Neagle as a forward than he would be helping develop the backs...that can be a job for Fletch.

So sorry Doc but I vote NO :)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

It's not a silly suggestion, however, it has been 6 years since Scotty won his B & F at CHB. Back then he was more agile and able to keep up with the strong CHF's. Nowadays, he's copped some nasty leg injuries which has slowed him down a tad. I doubt he would be able to keep up with the forwards of today.
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:It's not a silly suggestion, however, it has been 6 years since Scotty won his B & F at CHB. Back then he was more agile and able to keep up with the strong CHF's. Nowadays, he's copped some nasty leg injuries which has slowed him down a tad. I doubt he would be able to keep up with the forwards of today.
What he said...
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I dearly hope that Scotty gets his first step back but at the moment (ever since the injury) he has been glacial over the first 5m. I fear that we're seeing a great player in decline. I don't think that he can play in the backline at the moment in anything but a sweeper role because he's going to get torched on leads.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Great idea and will help extend Scotty's career. I dont think his lacl of pace will be an issue. Its the one postition on the ground where pace is not a huge advantage.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Gets my vote!

I always liked him at CHB and I think it could also release Ryder to a HBF where he has less pressure and can be more creative aka Sean Wellman. No need for NLM or McPhee in the back half then at all.

Slats Fletch Houli
Ryder Lucas Myers

Bad news for any CHF who doesn't respect Lucas as he will always push forward and loves a goal!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

He simply isn't up to it anymore. 6 years ago, yes. Not now.
Essendunny
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

What a stupid idea! He'll get run of his legs, especially by the likes of Reiwoldt. Lucas' best work this season will be deep forward this year with Lloyd pushing higher up the ground.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

CHB is the biggest concern for us this year. (as with the past couple)

Ryder is still developing - and for mine this is taking longer than it should. He is too easily outbodied and often looks too raw or just not with it. With Chook going down - he may be required as a back-up ruck option.

Hurley, Pears, Daniher, Meyers, Gumbleton - untried/unknown/underdone

NLM, Smokey - too small and poor defensively.

Lucas will prvide the stability and experience these younger blokes need.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

No.

We NEED to get games into Hurley/Daniher/Pears/Hooker NOW. If not, Fletch will go and we'll have no one remotely ready.
Plus while Fletcher is still down there, he can help out.

I don't care if opposing forwards kick 10 goals each a week, these guys are the future and need experience.

Plus Lucas is too slow these days.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

yep keep Lucas as a forward, there is no way he can keep up with the fast CHF's that are going around these days, he will rely on pulling jumpers too often
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Lucas has a big question mark over his leg speed to get away with centre half back.
I can imagine him being used down back only in the event of a host of injuries(say ryder/fletcher both going down)

For me CHB will be ryder, and this year he will end up having a killer season there.

I think this year, it will become really evident that Scotty is on his last legs.

I expect him and fletcher to be both gone within 2 years.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

One of Scotty's greatest attributes is the ability to slot 50+ metre goals. This wil be lost if we put him to CHB and alas, I fear, so will Lucas. Game is just to quick to expose him there.

I believe that notice of his apparent demise is slightly premature. Let's see a couple of serious games first before casting judgement.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

Thanks all the comments BUT are we calling Scotty slow because of the last game. He is coming off a dodgy knee and it was his first game!

His long strides and natural athleticism means he will keep up when he gets some games into his legs.

Is there any data to suggest that Scott has actually slowed down in recent years?

Remember his long kicking would be boon after a lightening hand ball from Dempsey! :D
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

rockhole wrote:One of Scotty's greatest attributes is the ability to slot 50+ metre goals.
Every bit more important now in the age of the rolling zone and what have you.
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

Upping this topic...

Not because I believe he should / shouldn't play CHB...but because...based on his pre-season he looms as a major concern on where we play him at all....!

Would appreciate some further feedback from you BT 'ers on the subject...

I'm Concerned....
The Watson Factor....
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JimboC wrote:Upping this topic...

Not because I believe he should / shouldn't play CHB...but because...based on his pre-season he looms as a major concern on where we play him at all....!

Would appreciate some further feedback from you BT 'ers on the subject...

I'm Concerned....
Yeah, he's done stuff all so far. But you have to gauge his performance in the real stuff. Let's see how he goes....
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Doctor Strangelove wrote:Thanks all the comments BUT are we calling Scotty slow because of the last game. He is coming off a dodgy knee and it was his first game!

His long strides and natural athleticism means he will keep up when he gets some games into his legs.

Is there any data to suggest that Scott has actually slowed down in recent years?

Remember his long kicking would be boon after a lightening hand ball from Dempsey! :D
If he hasn't slowed down in recent years, everyone else has become quicker or just figured out that he is pretty slow.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.