Is He Havin a Laff??

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Is He Havin a Laff??

Post by Windy_Hill »

Serial Idiot Mike Sheahan has produced another remarkably stupid list purporting to be indicative of the best 50 footballers in the AFL. Well guess what folks, not a single Essendon player has troubled the typsetters down at the Herald Sun this year!!! No Hille, No McVeigh, No Watson, No Stanton. They simply dont stack up next superstars of the game like Deledio, Birchall and Petrie who waltz into Mike the Dykes top 50.

And whatsmore I cant print the list coz its in some silly animated format - you will have to follow this link if you are up for a Laff

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Is He Havin a Laff??

Post by boncer34 »

50 Bryce Gibbs
49 Grant Birchall
48 Kane Cornes
47 Drew Petrie
46 Dale Thomas
45 Chance Bateman
44 Brendon Goddard
43 Travis Cloke
42 Ryan Griffen
41 Brett Deledio
40 Simon Goodwin
39 Scott Pendlebury
38 Jarrad Mcveigh
37 Dane Swan
36 Nathan Bock
35 Paul Chapman
34 Daniel Bradshaw
33 Brad Ottens
32 Ryan Okeefe
31 Alan Didak
30 Luke Power
29 Steve Johnson
28 Brad Sewell
27 Joel Selwood
26 Sam Fisher
25 Sam Mitchell
24 Cameron Ling
23 Dale Morris
22 Jarryd Roughhead
21 Darren Glass
20 Chad Cornes
19 Daniel Kerr
18 Shaun Burgoyne
17 Adam Goodes
16 Brent Harvey
15 Matthew Richardson
14 Joel Corey
13 Adam Cooney
12 Simon Black
11 Jimmy Bartel
10 Matthew Scarlett
9 Matthew Pavlich
8 Nick Riewoldt
7 Jonathan Brown
6 Brendan Fevola
5 Luke Hodge
4 Dean Cox
3 Lance Franklin
2 Chris Judd
1 Garry Ablett

Judd at 2? Brown at 6? Riewoldt at 8? Who the f*** is Dale Morris? Ottens is apparently the 2nd best ruck in the league is he Mike? Bradshaw made the cut? Birchall? Squibbs?

Thats a few of the questionable moments I've found.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

The man is old and senile. Has been showing signs for quite some time. This is further proof.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

David Hille not being in the top 50 is F****** laughable.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Don't let it worry you. He'll be the one looking like an idiot at years end when superstars such as Cloke, Thomas, Petrie and co. don't live up to his expectations.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

boncer34 wrote:Options Upload attachment
I reckon 95% of football fans/experts will give you the same top three as Sheahan, and a very similar top 10.

I'm not surprised that Essendon is unrepresented. I'd struggle to make a case for any of them. Hille could potentially get a gig, but there are 50 players in the AFL that I'd put in ahead of him, purely based on who'd have a bigger impact on a game.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I know it is only Mike Sheehan's top 50 but should we be a little concerned that we have no players deemed worthy of a top 50 spot? It seems that even Lloyd and Fletcher have dropped out of importance as well. Given that we have so many young players on our list just starting out in their careers im thinking that it will be a few years before we start getting some Bomber boys back in the top 50 players in the league.

To have Cox in the top 5 and to have Hille miss out completely is a bit of a joke though. [-X
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

40 to 50 is very bad.

Didak at 31? Should be in the 40's if anything.

Gibbs I've never seen dominate. His had high possession games but nothing match winning on a consistent basis, his young and will be good, but right now Hille is a much more dominant player. More so then Birchall, Ottens & Thomas.

What other clubs are not represented besides us, Melbourne? that it?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Hille certainly deserves to be there. He had an excellent 2008 and will only improve to be better in 2009. that's the nature of learning and experience. He has the mantle at Essendon and his expected improvement should have lifted him above quite a few names on that list.

Fletcher on the other hand has suffered from a leaking midfield and lack of support and has registered the occasional bag kicked against him. Improvement in these stats will come when the midfield improves defensively and when he gets some support. Fletcher may not win games off his own boot, but regardless of his opponents efforts he manages and repels a large percentage of F50's from opposition teams.

Probably the only other players from EFC I'd consider...McVeigh needs a whole consistent season, and Watson needs to be better defensively and improve his kicking.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

gringo wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Options Upload attachment
I reckon 95% of football fans/experts will give you the same top three as Sheahan, and a very similar top 10.

I'm not surprised that Essendon is unrepresented. I'd struggle to make a case for any of them. Hille could potentially get a gig, but there are 50 players in the AFL that I'd put in ahead of him, purely based on who'd have a bigger impact on a game.
please name your 50 players that have a bigger impact than hille on a game. or gringo...are you really m. sheahan?

Hille deserves to be in there. Noone has mentioned it, but I reckon Lloyd is stiff, he still turns matches.

IF no dons cant be found in a top 50...then there must be plenty of mentions between 50-100.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

If you lined up that list along with Hille and had to pick a team, he'd be one of the first ones picked.

Ottens, Birchall, Thomas, Glass... Pfffft! Hilarious stuff...

=D>
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Jared Mcveigh?!? haha He's not even the best footballer in his family let alone in the top 50.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Windy_Hill wrote:Is He Havin a Laff??
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

danstar84 wrote:Jared Mcveigh?!? haha He's not even the best footballer in his family let alone in the top 50.
He's a ripper. Stepped it up about 10 gears last season and is 20 visits to advanced hair and a few packets of peroxide away from being a brownlow contender. His performance against the bulldogs last year was one of the best games I saw anyone play in 2008. Would love to have him at the bombers.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

For mine, any Shehan list is a joke...

Hille should be top 20, but admittedly, he is the only one I would have in there...

As stated previously, McVeigh needs a full season without injury, Watson has improved, but delivery still needs a bit of work, the rest, well...

80% of our list is too young, skills are shocking at times and apart from a few glimpses of individual &/or team brilliance, no-one else really stands out...

If we have a full year with minimal injuries and continued improvement I would hope to see players like:
Hille, McVeigh, Welsh, Stants, Davey & Monfries in the list (even though it is Shehans and means jack squat in the larger picture...)

Paddy if he can get his form going
Reimers needs a strong consistent year
Lloyd & Fletch could be there, but I think Shehan only sees him as a FF, but I think last year was an better than average year from him with the change in role up the ground and Fletch (as previously stated) needs more support from up the ground for his effectiveness to become more apparent...

Also, as an aside, I think this is why so many people rate us as a team that will finish between 10th & 14th on the ladder...
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

andrewb wrote:
danstar84 wrote:Jared Mcveigh?!? haha He's not even the best footballer in his family let alone in the top 50.
He's a ripper. Stepped it up about 10 gears last season and is 20 visits to advanced hair and a few packets of peroxide away from being a brownlow contender. His performance against the bulldogs last year was one of the best games I saw anyone play in 2008. Would love to have him at the bombers.
Basically sums it up. Mark is a ripper of a player and I'm thrilled to have him but Jared is pretty close to being the better brother. Its probably my Essendon bias thats the only thing stopping me from admitting it.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I'm buggered if I can figure out how Joel Selwood slipped to 27 and sixth best of the cats. Sheehan obviously wasn't watching his second quarter the other night.

The kid is an absolute gun and would be one of the first players I would pick in an all AFL 22
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Hmmm

Sheehan doesn't think rucks have an impact ... thats why he puts Cox in the top 5 and three forward/rucks in the top 50 ... but Hille who is a game breaking ruck and game breaking forward doesn't rate :lol:

Watson ... possibly the best in and under player in the comp doesnt rate ... though let's be honest this sort of work doesn't show up on TV replays so it don't count with the old fella. Watson's game play is a vasty underestimated game breaking type of play ... just out of fashion at the moment.

I do agree with Sheehan on McVeigh though ... he is a good, but not a great player (skill wise that is). Again - he is a bit of a throwback ... he bleeds for his club (I suspect unlike 600 of the 625 players in the league) - so he will dig deeper than most players, play each week with his heart on the line and give his all (and bugger the effect on his body). I know which type I'd prefer in the trenches with me when it counts. Frankly, he is a legend in the making. My pick for this year's ANZAC day medal and likely to do well in the Chazzer over then next two years (injuries not withstanding).

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:I'm buggered if I can figure out how Joel Selwood slipped to 27 and sixth best of the cats. Sheehan obviously wasn't watching his second quarter the other night.

The kid is an absolute gun and would be one of the first players I would pick in an all AFL 22
Yeah, agree.

I don't pay that much attention to Sheahan anyway. Boring and stupid.
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He writes to sell papers.