Gumbleton Injured Again

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Gumbleton Injured Again

Post by bomberflyer »

Mr Paper Mache is sore and injured again. What is it with these players we recruit that can't handle any work put into their bodies?

Toughen the furk up I say.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
gringo
Club Captain

Re: Gumbleton Injured Again

Post by gringo »

Did anyone go and do a thorough medical on this bloke before we drafted him? Or couldn’t they be buggared flying to WA? What a complete waste of a second pick in what was billed as a super draft. Essendon has a proud history of picking duds with our high draft picks. But considering the players that came out of his draft, Gumbleton just about takes the cake. Can we just cut him loose now and save everyone a heap of time, patience and money? Gumbleton makes Kepler Bradley look like a fleet footed gazel, soaring gracefully over packs and winning games off his own boot.

We had Lachlen Hanson, a local boy, all ready to go. Now he's starting to show some genuine ability for North Melbourne and we are stuck with this muppet. If the only way to fix his hammys is to remove his legs then do it I say.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

He may need those legs to soar gracefully over packs - unless you know of a suitable replacement for legs?

Could be worse - this could be happening in the prime of his career a la Jimmy Hird. Keeping a KPF in cotton wool until he's 21/22 is fine by me - particularly one that only stopped growing last year. Lots of pilates, core work and yoga and he'll be right.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Was'nt Selwood from Geelong in the same draft?

For better or worse we have Gumbleton & have to do everything we can to get him on the park, if he keeps on falling over then unfortunately he has to go. That's the way the system operates now. However watching him play so far dos'nt fill me with great enthusiasm.

NOTE Recruiting staff: Do a comprehensive medical check prior to picking players. Were they done on Gumbleton, Dempsey, Neagle,Myers, Daniher,Pears Reimers etc?. All have had significant injuries in their early years at Essendon.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

From my reading, he is suffering from some back and hamstring tightness.

ie, he is not actually injured, the club is simply managing him appropriately to make sure these issues are resolved before increasing his training/playing load again and risking him actually suffering further injuries.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

They still think he'll be right for round 1 according to SEN...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ronny Rotten wrote:Was'nt Selwood from Geelong in the same draft?
YES!!!!!! And we desperately needed a quality mid-fielder at the time
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Yes, Windy, and I remember a lot of people here didn't want him because of his knee injury and they were sick of us recruiting injury prone players.

Probably the same people that were complaining that Hurley was injury prone because he missed a month because he had to have his gall bladder removed. :shock:
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Gumby could be anything... if only he got his body right and stopped getting injured. I dont think this is an overly serious injury as it is mainly his back that is making his hamstrings a little tight. I would rather these injuries now than in the middle of the season.

Im a little sick of ppl complaining that we could have had Selwood... Gumbleton is our boy and he will come good he just needs some more time. =D>
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Blame Quinn

Seriously...
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I like the Gumby, but my biggest fear is that he will turn into another CJ...talented player with tons of ability taking a place on our list for several years being forever injured...Every pre-season, we talked CJ up, but he never came through on the park cause he never played...

If you don't get on the park and play regularly, your talent will not make up for your skills that go out the window with a lack of match practice and for which sadly for CJ's went out the window and never came back...

I say give Gumby to the end of his current contract to a) get the body right & b) play the majority of the season in the Magoos whilst we still have Lloyd, Lucas & Neagle with Hille resting down there & Bellchambers as our second ruckman...

One final thought...instead of using Laymember as a ruck option, stick him at FF as he has shown he can take a grab and is capable of kicking goals #-o
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Crazyman wrote:I like the Gumby, but my biggest fear is that he will turn into another CJ...talented player with tons of ability taking a place on our list for several years being forever injured...Every pre-season, we talked CJ up, but he never came through on the park cause he never played...
The difference of course being that Gumbleton was taken at No 2 in the Super Draft - so surely his talent is worth persisting with for longer than CJ's.