Gumbleton Injured

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Gumbleton is a disgrace

Post by billyduckworth »

ace076 wrote:All the crap that Bishop has obviously posted to get a reply, aside, Gumbleton is a major concern!!! I am really starting to doubt he is going to carve out any sort of career, let alone a distinguished one. I have yet to see one snippet of play that has left me excited for our future prospects. I am not saying this to be controversial either, I have genuine fears!!! Of course, I will happily be proven wrong.

I agree. The Bishop is far too fond of hyperbole for my liking, but...

It IS a huge worry that our young guys aren't getting enough time on the park.
Our "old" group is great (Lloyd, Fletch, Lucas) but we can't rely on them for too much longer.
Our "middle" group is okay (Watson, Hille, McVeigh, Stanton etc) but a little thin compared to lots of other clubs.
So it all depends on the young group. So far, only Ryder has been able to get a decent number of games into him.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ace076 wrote:I have yet to see one snippet of play that has left me excited for our future prospects. I am not saying this to be controversial either, I have genuine fears!!! Of course, I will happily be proven wrong.
agree 100%, at the moment i can't see where our next flag is coming from at all... we need 2,3,4 years of good drafting without injury, i dont have much confidence
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Jazz_84 wrote:
ace076 wrote:I have yet to see one snippet of play that has left me excited for our future prospects. I am not saying this to be controversial either, I have genuine fears!!! Of course, I will happily be proven wrong.
agree 100%, at the moment i can't see where our next flag is coming from at all... we need 2,3,4 years of good drafting without injury, i dont have much confidence
That's probably how we felt and the end of the 70's and in 1980...even after the first six rounds of 1981 we were wondering where the light at the end of the tunnel was.

Things can change pretty quickly with an ounce of good luck.

If (and I repeat if) all our senior players stay fit thoughout the year, some of our 2-4 year players have break out seasons and 1-2 new guys come through then we will see marked improvement in our performance and corresponding results.

Although our preseason performance has left me feeling a bit flat, I can still see the potential we have. With luck, Davey will get through the year unscathed and that is a reason for excitement, Hurley has shown glimpses of his potential, Bachar is fit, Hocking has played well in most of the preseason games, Fletch is still playing at the level we have come to know and expect, Hille seems to have hit the ground running and these are just a few of the positives at present.

So cheer up...all is not lost and remember, we have a long way to go before things are as bad as they were in the 70's
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

We need a full season without Quinn's influence to give these young blokes a decent run at it. Injury list has been progressively decreasing since Cormack came on board and we seem to be managing injury risk better (Gumbleton being rested before getting injured is a prime example).

Let him have them for a full year and another pre-season and I think all our kids will start to improve. None of these blokes were injury prone before we recruited them. The amount of games we can get into Hurley and Zak (2008) compared to Myers and Pears (2007) will be good examples of the difference between Cormack's conditioning technique and Quinn's.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Gumbleton is having growing pains. His hammies are struggling to keep up.

How tall was he when he was recruited, and how tall is he now?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'm prepared to wait. He looks like once he gets fit, he'll be great.

He's a big kid and probably grew some after we got him AND started doing regular weights work once he reached AFL AND was under the influence of Quinn.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
LND
Top Up Player

Post by LND »

by F111 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Gumbleton is having growing pains. His hammies are struggling to keep up.

I mentioned that last year...and yes the kid is still growning..hence the cotton wool treatment
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

swoodley wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:
That's probably how we felt and the end of the 70's and in 1980...even after the first six rounds of 1981 we were wondering where the light at the end of the tunnel was.

Things can change pretty quickly with an ounce of good luck.
lets hope so! i wasn't around in 1980 so hopefully if we turn out good it will hold me in good stead for next time we are in this position, hopefully long time from now...
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Bishop Muzorewa wrote:I say we f*** him off RIGHT NOW!!!

I even heard mail that he failed to disclose information to the club during the pre-draft process about injuries he had sutained as a teenager.

Seriously, this has gone beyond a joke. 5 senior games in '07, none since. And what I have seen has not impressed me. Unlike Carlton's young tall timber, who has shown real promise, Gumbleton has looked awkward, lacking in confidence and inept. On top of that, he is extraordinarily injury prone!

He must be put up as trade bait at years end...but I am afraid we would get not much more than a packet of Samboy chips for him!

Fail post is fail
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote:Gumbleton is having growing pains. His hammies are struggling to keep up.

The argument will be that every kid that has been recruited is still growing in spurts, yet they are on the paddock playing games for their respective clubs. Think Jack Riewoldt, think Andrejs Everitt, think Nathan Brown, think Matthew Leuenberger.....all from the 2006 draft.
Essendunny
LND
Top Up Player

Post by LND »

The argument will be that every kid that has been recruited is still growing in spurts, yet they are on the paddock playing games for their respective clubs. Think Jack Riewoldt, think Andrejs Everitt, think Nathan Brown, think Matthew Leuenberger.....all from the 2006 draft.

How many of those are still growing..none of them have gone from..190cm odd(that's a guess) to over 200cm. That is a huge amount for some one to be growing..and he hasn't stopped either
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

LND wrote:

How many of those are still growing..none of them have gone from..190cm odd(that's a guess) to over 200cm. That is a huge amount for some one to be growing..and he hasn't stopped either
OK, I'll go by the official figures of the time, and the official figures on the club websites....

Andrejs Everitt 189
Jack Riewoldt 192
Lachlan Hansen 195
Scott Gumbleton 195
Matthew Leuenberger 201

Jack Riewoldt 192
Andrejs Everitt 193
Lachlan Hansen 197
Scott Gumbleton 197
Matthew Leuenberger 203

So Everitt has grown 4cm, Hansen, Gumbleton & Leuenberger 2cm and Jack Riewoldt zilch.
Essendunny
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

BenDoolan wrote:
LND wrote:

OK, I'll go by the official figures of the time, and the official figures on the club websites....

Andrejs Everitt 189
Jack Riewoldt 192
Lachlan Hansen 195
Scott Gumbleton 195
Matthew Leuenberger 201

Jack Riewoldt 192
Andrejs Everitt 193
Lachlan Hansen 197
Scott Gumbleton 197
Matthew Leuenberger 203

So Everitt has grown 4cm, Hansen, Gumbleton & Leuenberger 2cm and Jack Riewoldt zilch.
I wouldn't trust the club websites. In some instances they are clearly wrong. Also, a few of the guys on the list have missed considerable amounts of footy.

I think people are going a bit overboard with his 'injury'. I have no doubt the club is being VERY careful with Gumby, and in this case the tightness is cause to bring in the docs to ensure that there is nothing else going on behind the scenes. He has done a complete pre-season and also played in a couple of pre-season games so has a fairly good base this year. It is frustrating that he is continually off the park, but I think he is worth persisting with. To those who are comparing him to CJ, I think he has shown a fair bit more. Not too many players who stand ~200cm with his agility. Absolutely needs to bulk up though as mentioned.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The age/growth thing may be a factor, it may not. Have they become scientific enough to measure these things yet? I doubt it, 'cause if they did, we may have heard about..maybe.

There are far too many individual/idiosyncratic differences amongst each of our anatomy/physiology to make such direct comparison with others

Age/growth may be a factor. Is that as much as we can say?
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

"That's probably how we felt and the end of the 70's and in 1980...even after the first six rounds of 1981 we were wondering where the light at the end of the tunnel was."

Not sure about the comparison with the 1970s. It's always hard to compare different eras.

In some ways, the 70s was worse than now. We went through FIVE years in a row (1974-78) of not making the finals.
(We are up to four in a row now).

Then again, we did make the elimination final in 1979 under Barry Davis (and 81 and 82 under Sheedy) but it still took until 84 to get the big prize. The 1979 team included Watson, Madden, VanDerHaar etc who went on to be in in premiership in 84, but that team was also considerably "topped up" by adding interstate recruits Duckworth, Weston & Baker. It takes time and it takes team building. I reckon we are probably 4-5 years away still at the moment.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Filthy wrote:
andrewb wrote:We need a full season without Quinn's influence to give these young blokes a decent run at it. Injury list has been progressively decreasing since Cormack came on board and we seem to be managing injury risk better (Gumbleton being rested before getting injured is a prime example).

Let him have them for a full year and another pre-season and I think all our kids will start to improve. None of these blokes were injury prone before we recruited them. The amount of games we can get into Hurley and Zak (2008) compared to Myers and Pears (2007) will be good examples of the difference between Cormack's conditioning technique and Quinn's.
Spot on Andrew and ties in with the comments of others about the time and effects of de-quinnification of Essendon's list. It WILL take some months. The effect of Cormacks time is that here we are just over a week out from R1, and all we have Reimers with a quad and Gumbys hammy in termsof S/T. Compare that to this time last year....this year most of our injuries are impact related as opposed to S/T in the recent past.

Woody....the words of the wise good buddy. :wink:

Didn't we start the season last year with a good preseason, and thumping of north melbourne in round 1?

the injuries came later didn't they?(ie from about round 2 onwards!!!)..I will reserve decision on mccormack til the season is in full swing.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

I'd wait until next year before you judge the new fitness team. This year will be spent trying to fix the inherited problems - the only players you can reasonably judge Cormack's performance on are this year's recruits.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

andrewb wrote:I'd wait until next year before you judge the new fitness team. This year will be spent trying to fix the inherited problems - the only players you can reasonably judge Cormack's performance on are this year's recruits.
Exactly and Hurley has already had a Gall Stone!!! What the hell is Cormack doing?!?!?! :lol:
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

BenDoolan wrote:He's injured again. Becoming another Courtney Johns.... :evil:
My thoughts exactly BD.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Gatsid wrote:
andrewb wrote:I'd wait until next year before you judge the new fitness team. This year will be spent trying to fix the inherited problems - the only players you can reasonably judge Cormack's performance on are this year's recruits.
Exactly and Hurley has already had a Gall Stone!!! What the hell is Cormack doing?!?!?! :lol:
HAHAHAHAHAHA =D> =D> =D>