Hurley Injured

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hurley Injured

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
Lenni wrote:Well I don't know what is going on, but, at our under 10's training, we were told a few weeks ago that the club has been informed by the 'powers that be' NOT to stretch before training, apparently it's the suggestion from all the top sport medicos. We don't agree with this and we get our son to stretch before we go, but can anyone with any medical knowledge explain this. It's not just our club either, the club was told by the EFL.
It's funny you know. I played cricket for 22 years and never did any warm up prior to training or game. I never suffered any soft tissue injury whatsoever in my time either batting / bowling or fielding (apart from a broken finger while fielding and a broken nose from a bouncer). Then the day came along where our captain coach (from district ranks) tried to make us "professional". We were subjected to warm up sessions / stretches before training and on match day. Then I started getting problems with my achilles, groin and hammies. I know it's a different sport, and it's against scientific logic, but it simply never worked for me.
Or look at this way,, hhow many times do you see a Cheetah warming up before he goes after a nice juicey Thomsons Gazelle?? I have never see racehorses doing any stretching exercises - they just wander around the mounting yard.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Soft tissue injuries are usually fatigue related. Quinn's focus on changing sprinting techniques were red flags for me because it introduces fatigue to underutilised parts of the muscles.

There is no scientific evidence that stretching before exercise is beneficial and most evidence would suggest the opposite - can introduce microscopic damage to the muscles and also has an analgesic effect which can affect self-diagnosis of fatigue.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I had a cuppa tea, a Bex and a good lie down.

I then went and kicked the sh#t out of anything that moved!!

The way it was announced was as if it was the normal chain of events which it is fast becoming. "Oh by the way, we have lost Hurley for up to 4 weeks"

It is the most helpless feeing seeing the team decimated and not even in battle.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Windy_Hill wrote: I have never see racehorses doing any stretching exercises - they just wander around the mounting yard.
haha well actually we stretch out our horses front legs before they go into the mounting yard... very minor but even still lol

but i agree with not stretching before training or games.... i was made to stretch before footy training and had knee and groin problems, yet never had a problem playing footy back in school with out stretching, and that was even through the "growing pains" age, so yeah for me stretching hasn't worked

only time i stretch is when muscles are ripped the day after a game or for me personally riding horses lol
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Lenni wrote:Well I don't know what is going on, but, at our under 10's training, we were told a few weeks ago that the club has been informed by the 'powers that be' NOT to stretch before training, apparently it's the suggestion from all the top sport medicos. We don't agree with this and we get our son to stretch before we go, but can anyone with any medical knowledge explain this. It's not just our club either, the club was told by the EFL.
From my karate playing some of my instructors have said that its not a great idea to just start stretching as the first thing you do. I.e. Stretching cold muscles is not advised. So what we have been doing is laps of dojo to get leg muscles warm and heart rate up and then a gentle stretch,further warm up and more extensive stretching then do the karate lesson and then a good stretch as the warm down. I havent had any of these bad soft tissue injuries and I was regularly doing karate 3 times a week and I am 46. So if this old chook isnt getting major hammies and quads doing mawashi geris then I fail to see how young elite athletes are getting injured training. It doesnt make sense.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Lenni
Top Up Player

Post by Lenni »

Thanks for all the stretching feedback, there have been some really valid points made. The only sport I was ever serious about was swimming so it's not exactly similar to running etc. will keep all the comments in mind, ta.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

f*** me dead! I was looking forward to watching him play, because I didn't really see the game last week. If I remember correctly, doing static stretching can cause minute tears in muscles, so they advise to do a warm-up at a lower intensity of any activity you are competing in. For example, before a footy match get the guys doing 30m passes, at 50% intensity, then 75%, and then stride it out to game intensity. Because that way the muscles that you are using are getting stretched normally, rather than when you're doing static stretches.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tom9779 wrote:Big Question of the week, will the Quinn bashers become McCormack bashers?
Highly unlikely seeing as McCormack doesn't exist.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

j-mac31 wrote:
tom9779 wrote:Big Question of the week, will the Quinn bashers become McCormack bashers?
Cormack.

Apologies Stuart if you read fan sites.

Won't happen again.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

tom9779 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Cormack.

Apologies Stuart if you read fan sites.

Won't happen again.
:P

But on your question, I think "no".
1 soft tissue injury, the rest very bad luck.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.