Player Review # 7: Dean Solomon

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Player Review # 7: Dean Solomon

Post by bombercol »

Disappointing year this year.

Had his moments.

Sadly, no amount of critisicm has been able to lift his form.

Kept his spot in the side only because of no one being able to replace him due to the club's injury list.

To me seems certain to be moved on.

4.5/10
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He plays a role, that of enforcer. He has done that better in previous years.

Poor discipline almost became a highlight for Soly this year, more so than usual. I think he also has that reputation, and he got pinged a couple of times for "soft" infringements that others may have escaped.

In 2006 he was too slow.
Why: too big above the pelvis. He is a big lad. But his bulk has slowed him down. His knees can't carry him like they used to.

His preseason was interrupted. Was it his knees, a finger op or both? I can't remember.

He needs/must have an uninterrupted preseason where he puts in.
Less of the weights, more on speed work. Help those knees to get into in better shape.

He also needs less time out partying. Well, I don't really know f'sure about that, but he was in trouble for breaking team rules at some stage..in Sydney I think.

So, better preseason, less bulk, more speed and some of Jobe Watson's determination to do better.
He can still be a very valuable player I think.

Otherwise, he's on his last chance.

4/10
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Yeah his disipline needs to be improved next year if he is still around. It was costly on occasions. His body is crumbling. I think club may try and trade him but im not sure he would be of much use anywhere else sadly.
As much as i like the fella i think is time, i can see next year his last if he stays

4/10
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Has been a very useful player in the past, but the game really seems to have passed him by now.

Disappointing season. 4/10
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

A pretty poor season by his standards. Hopefully he can put in a full preseason and start the year fir and healthy.

He is still one of the few genuinely tough players we have so we need him fit, disciplined and ready to go for 2007.

4/10
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Two things should either happen to Dean Solomon. He is given only a one year contract and if he doesn't like it - traded. Based on recent performances (his last 40 games - 2 seasons) has been well below par and will be lucky to remain at the club. Shame, because I like this guy a hell of a lot and the style and quality he used to deliver. Can he turn things around? One wonders....

4.5/10
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

trade now while he still has some sort of market value or else we are looking at another Rioli type situation.

Past his best, injuries slowing him down, loose canon.

Exactly the type of player Sydney like!

(or for that matter Essendon :oops: )
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

He was one of the worst players in one of the worst teams in the AFL. How the f*** can you give him a 4/10??????

1/10 just for turning up. Although would have given him 2/10 if he hadn't.

Admittedly he had been asked to do jobs he is not equipt for due to our injuries and underperforming backline and got beated badly then frustrated then played even worse.

Given the above I havnt lost faith in him yet, and still think his best is ahead, but time has to be running out after the second below par season in a row and if his insistance for us to risk a 2 year contract continues I'll be happy to see him off.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Certainly not his best year.

He hardly got a kick and gave away way too many free kicks.

3/10.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

2.5/10

Solly has struggled big time over the last 2 years. His disposal is sporadic tending to poor, he is too slow for the good forwards, he has poor discipline and he has no ability to hurt the opposition going the other way, which has become a vital skill for defenders since the introduction of the immediate kick-out rule.

How much has he suffered as a result of injury? I don't know, but my guess is 'quite significantly'. Do his injury problems explain his '05 and '06 seasons completely? Certainly not.

This is going to hurt a few people i'm sure, but i just reckon we all overrated Solomon in 03-04. Back then, he was surrounded by Fletcher (in his prime), Wellman and Lucas; he took the 4th best forward each week, he had no responsibility and therefore was able to be an attacking defender. These days, with Wellman gone and Lucas playing forward, Solomon gets the 2nd best forward (or even the 1st forward if Fletcher is injured), and he has shown categorically that he isn't up to it. Perhaps Sheedy was right when Richmond were pursuing him heavily several years ago and Sheedy couldn't understand the fuss, saying "he's just a half-back flanker".

Trade for pick 25 or better. One more year like '05 or '06 and we'll be lucky to get anything at all for him.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

He played most games, but I struggle to remember a single game where he beat his opponent, let alone would have made our best. Was frequently thrashed, and often gave away punishing free kicks/50's.

2/10

Simply, he's not capable anymore. I'd trade/delist him, as I don't think he's good enough, and Sheedy will probably keep playing him despite that.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

There seems to be an agreement from all posters regarding Solomon.

He has had an absolute barry crocker this year and i think he should go.

His only excuse would be if he played injured all year - and if thats the case, why wouldn't he have stepped out and had surgery or whatever he needed to have done to help fix the situation?

3/10.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Surgery wouldn't have fixed the discipline issues.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

antcl wrote:Surgery wouldn't have fixed the discipline issues.
Don't know, but they reckon lobotomies do work......
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Soly is GORN!

Has ben offered one year and has done a dummy-spit - evidently.

Freo are a keen as mustard - no indication what they will give.

2.5/10 for this season and has steadily declined since 2001 - Time to part company and see what we can get for hi.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

His last 2 seasons were shockers. 2.5/10 from me. If he isnt happy with one year after his recent efforts then I reckon its time to say see you later. Especially if theres someone whos prepared to trade for him.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Another very ordinary year for Solly, and it looks like his time is up. The problem is he has no position. Not tall enough for KP, not quick enough for smaller players. His discipline has been a problem for several years, along with his disposal, which is atrocious for an AFL player.

He's 27 in January, so it's very difficult to see Solly improving much now. I'd be taking the 1 year deal and keeping my mouth shut, if I was him.

2/10
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

shite

2/10

trade now