Kids handing out the Medals

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nomolos
Club Captain

Kids handing out the Medals

Post by nomolos »

Im going to get get shouted down from this probably but personally I do not like this new style of having the children hand out the Premiership medallion.

Not only do I find it tacky or some other word, but when a footballer goes up to recieve his medal he fails to acknowledge, or the child is to obvilious of what to do when up there "hand shake, go to walk away, hesitate, hand out, again walk away".

Personally ive hated this aspect of the presentation since they started doing it, and feel it would be better served by having a champion of the game hand out the medals. Lord knows theres enough of them.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Its something good for the kid but as Wirrpunda said on the radio last night. The players have just won a premiership, they are not thinking of the right thing etc.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Gossy7 wrote:Its something good for the kid but as Wirrpunda said on the radio last night. The players have just won a premiership, they are not thinking of the right thing etc.
But the day is not about the children gossy.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

All the clubs or the AFL has to do is, just as the player walks up to the the dias, have someone there to whisper loudly "acknowledge the kid".

There seems to be so many people out there, someone should be able to do it.

Done right, it's a good thing.
Last edited by F111 on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

The Brisbane Lions didn't seem to have any trouble acknowledging the kids when they won, i don't see why the Eagles couldn't have done the same. Daniel Chick in particular was incredibly rude... he didn't even let the young bloke put the medal around his neck. :evil:
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:The Brisbane Lions didn't seem to have any trouble acknowledging the kids when they won, i don't see why the Eagles couldn't have done the same. Daniel Chick in particular was incredibly rude... he didn't even let the young bloke put the medal around his neck. :evil:
Daniel Chick received his medallion, kissed it and pointed to the sky. No doubt his thoughts were withhis brother who was killed a few years ago.

Surely its a bit harsh, in those circumstances, to have a crack at him for forgetting to acknoledge the kid. He obviously has other, more important, things on his mind.

So maybe get your facts straight before you call him 'incredibly rude'.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Remember the day is about supporters too. Without the support, you don't have a competition. I don't care how caught up you are in the moment, all you have to do is shake the kids hand. It's not that hard.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

If Chick had bent down to get that medal put around his neck, he wasnt coming up. Its a miracle he was still standing

Agree with Nomolos. the kids should are probably stoked to be on tv.
and they havent spent 2 hours running full throttle at a shot of glory.

Get the players for the wooden spoon to do it.
How does it feel now Fevola!
:D
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It couldn't be that hard to acknowledge the kids. Alot of the yuonger players seemed to do it, it's the older ones that llet them down.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

citizenerased wrote: Get the players for the wooden spoon to do it.
How does it feel now Fevola!
:D
Ha ha! I second that. That would just about guarantee no one wanted to come last no matter what draft picks were on offer.

Imagine the discrace, Kuta:'Here is your GF medaliion master Judd' Judd: 'thanks mate, same time same place next year?' :lol:
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

danstar84 wrote:Remember the day is about supporters too. Without the support, you don't have a competition. I don't care how caught up you are in the moment, all you have to do is shake the kids hand. It's not that hard.
I always find that to be a bullshit argument.

(Dont take it as a personal attack against you, im speaking generally)
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

f*** the kids off. as if a footballer is going to give a toss about a kid when they just won a GF!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Brumaz wrote:f*** the kids off. as if a footballer is going to give a toss about a kid when they just won a GF!
lol calm down

whats wrong with having the kids do it? i dont see any valid reason
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

nomolos wrote:
danstar84 wrote:Remember the day is about supporters too. Without the support, you don't have a competition. I don't care how caught up you are in the moment, all you have to do is shake the kids hand. It's not that hard.

These kids probably look up to these players. These could be future players, and at the very least future supporters at the club. It's not that hard to just shake a hand. It's not asking them to cut off an arm!

If football was only about the players, they wouldn't be getting paid very much.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

danstar84 wrote:
nomolos wrote:

These kids probably look up to these players. These could be future players, and at the very least future supporters at the club. It's not that hard to just shake a hand. It's not asking them to cut off an arm!

If football was only about the players, they wouldn't be getting paid very much.
Put it this way, after the uproar that has been made about this "non Issue" over the last week, the players would be scared shitless not to acknowledge a kid from now on the premiership dias.
The Eagles players have been hung, drawn and quartered over one of the most rediculous things i've ever heard.
What a dead set f****** Joke.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Put it this way, a premiership doesn't buy class.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

bueller wrote:
danstar84 wrote:
nomolos wrote:

Put it this way, after the uproar that has been made about this "non Issue" over the last week, the players would be scared shitless not to acknowledge a kid from now on the premiership dias.
The Eagles players have been hung, drawn and quartered over one of the most rediculous things i've ever heard.
What a dead set f****** Joke.
A bit like last year when Warren Tredrea won the medal for best on ground for Port's game on the ANZAC Day weekend, they got beaten by a couple of points, he was absolutely gutted by the loss and was completely stuffed and he accidently forgot to make mention of the vetrans.

Well the uproar that caused, you would have thought he went over to Gallipoli and pissed on the soldiers' graveyard or something.

It all goes back to this country and our great love affair with cutting down the tall poppies. People are quite happy to sit back and criticise the Eagles players, with the comfort of knowing that they will never be in a situation where the entire country are watching them and the way the are behaving waiting with baited breath to stick the boots in over even the smallest mistake!!!
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

tbh I didn't think there was much in it. WC just won a GF by one point after losing to the same team in the corresponding match last year. If I was an eagle my head would have been up in the clouds too.

Wirrapunda acknowledged he didn't realised what he'd done. The footage of the kid holding his hand out to shake the hand of one of the WC players and then retreating when he didn't return the offer didn't look good. But I think the media have gone too far here. It's highly unlikely that they would have snubbed the kids on purpose.

Thw WC PR people will put something on you'd imagine. Wirrapunda said he'd even have his kid's family over for dinner!
Bombers till' I die
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

The Man from Bomberland wrote: Wirrapunda said he'd even have his kid's family over for dinner!
and a signed jumper too, good to see him do that
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I think it's lovely that the kids are presenting the medals. All are Auskick participants and it would be a thrill for them and their parents to have them do it.

If I had just won a premiership I'd want to squeeze everyone that is wearing red and black (here's me dreaming being an Essendon premiership player...huh) including the kid that gave me the medal.

I would be feeling a lot of love out there on the ground and then a lot of love for beer after that and then afterwards the Mrs. too (if capable)!