That was a shocking performance.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

That was a shocking performance.

Post by robbie67 »

We lost to a bottom 4 side because we were not 100% switched on and experienced players like McPhee and Lucas really let us down. We are not good enough to drop games to poor teams and still make the 8. Dyson and Daniher both need to be dropped.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: That was a shocking performance.

Post by Jazz_84 »

ive supported dyson in recent times but dead set he needs to be gone for a long time...... with a few of our mids come back he wont be there

they adopted a game plan against us and it worked, needed to slow the game down at times and force the momentum change in our favour.

im very worried about Lucas, whats happened to him from last year?

McVeigh very tough game, double teamed most of the time, was that a game he was always going to have coming back from injury straight back into the senior side?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

robbie67 wrote:We lost to a bottom 4 side because we were not 100% switched on and experienced players like McPhee and Lucas really let us down. We are not good enough to drop games to poor teams and still make the 8. Dyson and Daniher both need to be dropped.
McPhee had an absolute shocker. IfI were Knights I'd tell him if he drops one mark in any training drill ths week even warmups he's back to the VFL.

We had more scoring shots and I'd say more inside 50's(haven't seen the stats). When we were all over them in that last 1/4 Laidley played two spare men behind the ball and we didn't cope at all. We did nothing but bomb it long. Got to be smarter than that.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

robbie67 wrote:We lost to a bottom 4 side because we were not 100% switched on and experienced players like McPhee and Lucas really let us down. We are not good enough to drop games to poor teams and still make the 8. Dyson and Daniher both need to be dropped.
Hot tip robbie, we are a poor team, but we do have upside.. today i think demonstrates you shouldn't get too excited about a win over fremantle and a game over carlton.
You are right on Mcphee and Lucas. We need those two boys as leaders when the young uns are dipping their heads.

Still Knights will be making notes. Understands that his best team is nowhere near ready...

eventually our best side will definetly not be this one.

Hurley/Welsh/Prismall/Reimers/Houli I think will be in our best 22 one day. Hooker seems to be playing well in the twos, the forgotten man(NLM) is working his way back in for selection and we have another in Atkinson who def shows something as well.

Knights should have played two ruckmen today. Bellchambers needs game time.

At least the boys will be fired up for the collingwood clash.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

McVeigh will be better for the run, and Lucas will bounce back. McPhee is blowing his career big time. He seems to lack the brains and composure to make the most of his obvious talents.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

A horrible day out and really we didn't deserve to win.

Daniher is inexperienced Rob and he'll be right, but Dyson is worrying me.

Skipworth injury will hurt.

The other thing, I now he means well but the Irishmen scares me every time he gets it.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Jazz_84 wrote:

Me too. Father time catching up? I hope not.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

bombercol wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:

quote]

Me too. Father time catching up? I hope not.
yar i think its father time...his kicking is very unscotty like.

hey big upside.

we are not richmond.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

nope we arn't richmond but we arn't the Essendon i want to see out there either... at least not on a regular basis, waiting for the kids to mature is always going to be longer then we want i suppose
Kakadu Kangaroos
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Lucas needs to be dropped to the VFL for some form...
Thing that really worries me is he hasn't come back from that shocking injury...
How much has it affected his career?
Very unlike Lucas to kick all shots out of bounds on the full.
Really worried about him.
Mcphee - so frustrating Can be awesome or can be terrible.
Today cost us dearly Lloydy was having a shot and he went onto the ground early so we had too many players for approx 5 secs...
Why the hell does this matter really.
No disadvantage to North and Technical bull shit...
Umpires today - Utter disgrace but hey thats life.

Knew we might be flat today and we were terrible. Really didn't deserve to win but could have stolen it...
Dyson - Not up to AFL standard.

A bad day today but we will bounce back

Positives Lloydy,Zacharakis,Stanton and Mcveigh back for game time...
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Robbies main point is correct.

We were flat footed, fumbled, unskillful and poor decision making.

Alot of passengers today.

Umpires weren't great either.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Back from the game. Dreadful to watch. We were terrible for pretty much the entirety of the game bar a few players who worked hard and kept us in the game.

A few things on my mind:
- Daniher needs to learn how to kick on the run, and know when and when not to run off your opponent.
- Pears need kicking practice in general
- Quinn had a shocker, but is still learning the game. Back to Bendigo so that he can pick it up and improve skills week by week.
- Defence were much too lose on direct opponents.
- Dyson and Nash should only be used as depth players. They don't add anything to the team the way they play. Too many turnovers.
- Don't know how long we can afford to keep Scotty in the team.
- Mcphee, brilliant one moment, terrible the next. Get back to BASIC football PLEASE!
- Skills in general were horrendous.
- It would be nice to have some sort of forward line to kick to when we win the ball off a turnover.
- Umpires can go and get f***** you cheating bastards. Apparently North can kick a ball 7m and get paid a mark.

Just hope we can come and and perform a hell of a lot better next week. Think there will be around 4 changes made to the team.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Just got back from the game and totally agree...that was shocking.
These are the types of games we need to win, to consolidate the great effort of last week. We were flat as.
Very very disappointing!
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Horrid game. Didn't look like we had a plan to counter Norf's crap slow down tactics. We pressured well at times, but didn't have much of a clue on the rebound. Needed to have some runners finding space on the overlap inside 50. Another slow start as well.
Will the Filth use Norf's tactics? At least the G will have more space.
Had plenty of chances to win though. Too many dodgy short kicks, & when we went long we couldn't get it near any of our forwards. Missed some simple shots.
Defense was fairly loose all game. Except for Fletch, saved us many times. A big learning curve for the young guys. Hurley would've helped.
Umps: f***'n useless!
Lucas: I'd give him a rest. I don't expect much from him until the 2nd half of the season. A Welsh or Reimers would've helped out the forward line.
Dyson: Not his fault he gets picked.
Quinn: Has me more convinced than ever that this is purely a development year.
Lovett: Very McLeod like early on with some centre clearances. Thought he should've spent more time in there.
Davey: Still working his arse off.
Umps: f***'n useless!! (In recognition of..)
Richmond: We have them twice..
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I have just got back from the game as well and i would have to say skillwise and umpiring wise it was the worst performance i have seen. Both sides just kept turning the ball over and not knowing what to do with it. Fletcher should have played on Hale from the start... i cant believe that Knights left Daniher/Pears and even Dempsey on him. By the time Fletch did get a go in the last it was too late. I also had a bad feeling that Harvey would fire up today.

My thoughts:
Dyson- 3/10- MUST go back to Bendigo this week. He just wasnt hard at the footy today and refused to chase his opponents. I cant believe he was picked today over the likes of Natrat, Jetta and Houli.
Watson 5/10- Worked well at the stoppages but seriously needs to improve his kicking... those two wasted shots at goal hurt us badly.
Stanton- 8/10- I thought Stants was definately our best today. He didint cough it up as much as he did last week and he racked up plenty of possies again.
Monfries- 3/10- Not enough again from Gussy, not sure if he was on the ground all that much but Anzac Day could be last chance for him.
Winderlich- 6/10- Didnt notice him all that much today, gave plenty of dash as always.
McVeigh- 5/10- Looked very very rusty today and was definately double teamed by the Roos defence. Will be much better for the run.
Zaharakis- 7/10- Thought Zaka was very good today. Showed a lot of poise and got plenty of the ball particularly in the first half. Should play Anzac Day.
Lovett- 5/10- Didnt see a lot of Lovey today, tackled hard as always.
Dempsey- 6/10- Tried hard in the back half but just lacked the body strength. If he was the one playing on either Campbell or Thomas he did a great job!!
Pears- 4/10- Really struggled again today. Had to play on Hale which didint help. May have to go back to Bendigo to get more confidence.
Nash- 4/10- Struggled really but laid some great tackles that werent rewarded late. Might miss out next week.
Lloyd- 7/10- That missed goal in the last really cost us in the end but the captain single handedly got us back into the contest.
Hille- 5/10- Another disappointing performance by the big man. I felt he dominated the ruck but Hale and McIntosh really got the better of him around the ground. We need a BIG Anzac Day from him.
Slattery- 7/10- Didnt see a lot of him but im pretty sure he held Campbell to only a few possies today.
Skipworth- 5/10- Limped off in the last and i hope its not a bad injury. Didnt really have an impact today.
Lucas- 3/10- Tried hard but just seems a shadow of his former self. Kicked two out of bounds on the full and just looked past it.
Daniher- 3/10- Struggle din defence and Hale ate him up early. Went forward to no avail. Hooker may come in for him next week.
Davey- 7/10- You gotta love how Davey goes about his footy!! His tackling and pressure was outstanding again!!
Ryder- 5/10- Did very well in the ruck but didint do much else around the ground. Spoiling work was great though.
Fletcher- 8/10- The master of our defence did pretty well on Petrie and spoiled beautifully all day. Should have played on Hale right from the start.
McPhee- 3/10- Really poor game today, i lost count of the amount of marks he dropped. Needs to lift as a senior player.
Quinn- 3/10- Struggled for any impact today and was too easily pushed off the footy. Turned it over too much.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

everyone knows that campbell went down in the 1st with a hammy right?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Jazz_84 wrote:everyone knows that campbell went down in the 1st with a hammy right?
LOL oh really.... thats why he wasnt causing us pain!!! Well whoever played on Thomas did a good job!

Does anyone know about Skipworth whether he is injured... he limped off in the last.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

haha yeah a read a few times now that campbell had a quiet game so i had to ask the question

Skippy went off with a hammy that went twang, 3-4 weeks from all reports
Kakadu Kangaroos
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Jazz_84 wrote:haha yeah a read a few times now that campbell had a quiet game so i had to ask the question

Skippy went off with a hammy that went twang, 3-4 weeks from all reports
damn just what we didint need. Straight swap for Lonergan for next week then.

Hopefully Hurley and Reimers arent far away either!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I was was otherwise occupied for most of the game and only heard the later part of the last qtr on the radio and saw the last 15 mins of last qtr on Fox. I had a feeling that was going to happen. It seems to me that game was indicative of a major letdown after the Carlton win. Also could it be with our running attacking style we now play better on the bigger expanses of the MCG than our "home" ground ? From the 774 call it souned like most of the game was a series of errors with Norf making less than us.

I think we will be much better for the Colliewobbles BUT we need Hocking back - he is a very sure player and it sounds as if we lacked that today.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber