THE WORRYING THING IS........

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

THE WORRYING THING IS........

Post by ace076 »

Below is a list of players who did NOT perform to an acceptable level for an AFL footballer relative to their individual skills (or lack thereof)
McPhee
Lucas
Hille
McVeigh
Dyson
Ryder
Pears
Nash
Monfries
Slattery
Daniher
Quinn
Now, I will exempt Pears, Daniher and Quinn from my arguement due to inexperience, however the rest are complete, fully fledged AFL footballers who have all been in the system long enough to produce consistent performances which warrant their place in the side. You simply will lose MANY more games than you win if 10 or so, or your so called senior, experienced, reliable players are serving up junk games which are no where near the standard expected by the club, the fans and AFl watchers in general. Some of you guys may argue that McVeigh is under done and we should go easy, but hey, you cross the white line, your fit in my eyes, simple as that. Others may come on here and defend Hille, yeah he had a great season last year, but this year is struggling to produce 40% of that output yet. As for Ryder, the time has come to turn potential into results, yeah the signs are good, but after 3 or 4 years, we really need to be witnessing more than signs IMO. Same with Lucas, we cannot simply keep making excuses for so many players. We are not good enough to carry so many passengers, LIFT GUYS!!!!!!
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: THE WORRYING THING IS........

Post by Sismis »

What was wrong with Ryder's game? At one stage he contested in the ruck then got back in time to spoil norths entry into forward 50. His only problem is we don't have 3 of him!
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

nothing against Ryder Sismis, but he has too many games where he has fewer than 10 possessions and not enough impact when you compare that to his obvious talent IMO.
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i thought Ryder tries to hard at times, good to see but just needs to settle and relax and let his talent take over
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Jazz_84 wrote:Ryder ... needs to settle and relax
???

If the guy was any more laid back he'd be horizontal. I want to see vengeful Paddy, not happy Paddy.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Jazz_84 wrote:i thought Ryder tries to hard at times, good to see but just needs to settle and relax and let his talent take over
Have you seen him play? It's like he consumes three pints of valium before each game. I'm suprised they don't have to wheel him out in a wheelchair! He needs a rocket up his ass.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

So the complaint about Paddy is that hs looks relaxed?

It is that very fact that makes him so damaging. How many times does he find the right option under pressure in defence?

I don't care if he gets fewer than 10 possesions. That means jack shit when he has to play defence, ruck and forward in the same game.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Sismis wrote:What was wrong with Ryder's game? At one stage he contested in the ruck then got back in time to spoil norths entry into forward 50. His only problem is we don't have 3 of him!
Truer words never spoken. I would be more than happy to have one Paddy across each line - where you get the most out of him is based on whether or not his mates turn up to play. If we're unaccountable in the midfield and butcher the ball he needs to play down back. If not, then up forward and leave Lucas in the two's until he gets into a decent stride.

And, if we played a second ruckman we wouldn't need to worry about playing him in the ruck. Surely Bellchambers is due if he has been half reasonable in the two's?
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ryder needs to do more - simple as that
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

What more can he do?????!!!!!!!! Should he be coaching as well?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I really only agree on Lucas and Dyson.

Hille: has been serviceable, the problem no support. solution - play bellchambers get the cock fit.

McVeigh: first game back after a long time off not worried. Solution - play him again.

Monfries: had a great game against carlton, will bounce back.
Slatts: no problem with his game, don't know what your talking about.
Ryder: Adjusting to a new position/finding his possie. not too concerned.

Nash: Fringe player - played like it.

We have got a lot of talent on the sideline still, McVeigh needed the run.

We need to lift to win this week. I think first step to getting to the finals is winning after a loss.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ryder looks good up forward, attacks the ball really well.
Probably needs to get in the right areas a bit more often.

I would like a bit more urgency form him around the ground when he's in the ruck.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ryder defends very well. You don't accumulate stats for a spoil......something Paddy does quite often. He's been thrown around a bit this season and done well in a number of roles (although I think his ruckwork has slipped from last year). He's kicked 3 goals this year, something Lucas (4 goals) is struggling to do as a permanent forward.

Who saved the day last week in the dying minute with a chase and tackle on Marc Murphy 25 metres out of Carlton's goal and dispossessed him? Again you don't get a stat for that, but you create a turnover. As it was, Ryder got a resultant handball after he got back up, and then ensured we cleared the defence before the siren blew.

I couldn't care less how many disposals Ryder gets, as long as his direct opponent doesn't cause damage on the scoreboard, and that Ryder contributes in the ruck and up forward when given the opportunity. And he has.

At the age of 21, he's coming along very nicely.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I thought Ryder played well against the Kangas. He was winning a lot of the hitouts, looked very dangerous up forward and defended well. I do agree that he needs to start having more of an impact in games. TB really needs to be brought into the side so we dont have to put Ryder in the ruck but let him roam down back or up forward when needed.

The major problem is what to do with Lucas is he keeps failing this year, im pretty sure that if Gumby was fit and if Neagle was playing well Scotty might not be in the side.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Harsh on Ryder, though it looks like Ace is talking overall. Of the players on that list, Ryder looks the one who has the biggest upside, one who wth his height, size, agility and ability, he really should be tearing players up. I would love to see him stay forward. He is a great mark, whether on the lead or in the air and a great kick. Just seems to lack that killer edge (dont mean that violently).
Nash disappoints me. He has such a beautiful kicking action, yet still manages to stuff up.
Monfries I have given up hope on. I loved this kid when he came to the club but drifts in and out of games far too often.
Dyson has improved this year, though wasn't flash on Sunday.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

if you guys are seriously satisfied with Ryder's actual OUTPUT, (not potential, upside, talent etc etc), then you are easily pleased IMO. Bags of goals were kicked on him on numerous occassions last year, remember I am only marking him hard because I think highly of his talent and expect him to be doing more that's all.
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

I think Skipworth should've been added to that list of average players. Definitely had a shocker in my book.
"your'e like a girl standing out the front of a chemist…..Too scared to go in and get the pill!"
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Skippy average You have got to be kiddin yourself. He did his hammie and has been very consistent for us.
Before we all jump off a bridge lets just face the facts. It was a bad day when not a lot went right for us...
Complete contrast to the week before against Carlscum. North played scrappy football and brought it to the ground almost everytime. We simply didn't know how to combat that crap and were brought down to that level.
I for 1 am looking forward to a very fired up pissed off Essendon on Anzac day.
Go Bombers
Tear those Colliwobbles a New one...
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Dont worry be happy we will beat the Pies on Saturday. If Hocking had played he would have tagged Harvey and the whole result would have been different and we'd be pleased with ourselves. The facts are we didnt kick straight 7-15 is what the problem was.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I haven't seen the game and have no intention of watching it based on what I have read.

That said, from everyone's comments, it appears that it was a bad game all round where many players were guilty of turnovers, poor handling, poor skills, etc...

Also, as per previous post, 7 15 ain't gunna win too many games of footy...unless it is the current 16thmond or Freefall or Dee's sides...

Also, in terms of players...
McVeigh - Definately under done for match fitness. Champion player. Give him a couple of week and he will be right. That said, I would prefer he came back through the magoos but we all know that won't happen...
McPhee should only ever be our 3rd tall. He gets beaten by opposition second defenders but can destroy anyone beyond that when Lloyd & Lucas take the first and second choice defenders...also, his decision making means he should never venture further than the wing. He is a good grab and kick for goal and this suits him...
Monfries, for mine, on borrowed time...seems to do stuff all for 3.5 quarters and pulls 5 mins of brilliance out of his arse...definately needs to toughen up and become more consistent
Paddy, happy with how he is travelling (though I do tend to agree that he needs a bit less valium). I would prefer Knighta just put him either at CHB or CHF and left him there to pinch hit in the ruck at throw ins.
Hille, Definately down on form compared to last year, but doing it solo against Norfs big men is going to be a tough ask for most ruckmen - (personally, I think Knights should bring in Belly, drop Lucas and play Paddy at CHF...)
Lucas, again, down on form and hasn't really got back to where he was pre the knee...in danger of being dropped to the magoos but I reckon Knights will persist and it has to be conceded he does deserve a little latitude (though that is starting get thin...)
Dyson, IMO, he is just a depth player...doesn't seem to be able to cut in the big league
Slatts, IMO, is one of our better defenders (and more consistent than others on our list)
Nash, I think generally he is a pretty good player...would like to see more from him as time goes on...
Pears, Daniher, Quinn - as stated, not even a full season between them games wise