Anzac Day Clash: Essendon vs Collingwood Preview

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Anzac Day Clash: Essendon vs Collingwood Preview

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

If its wet on Saturday then we may go for a smaller team. I really want TB in the side to help Hille and release Ryder back to defence but with Fraser being the only real ruckm,an for the Pies i doubt its going to happen this week.

Hocking and Lonergan are definate ins for me, i wouldnt mind Natrat being included either for a bit of experience and toughness.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:If its wet on Saturday then we may go for a smaller team. I really want TB in the side to help Hille and release Ryder back to defence but with Fraser being the only real ruckm,an for the Pies i doubt its going to happen this week.

Hocking and Lonergan are definate ins for me, i wouldnt mind Natrat being included either for a bit of experience and toughness.
I agree Mrs Merc, but can understand everyone's frustration. Once again he isn't consistently good but from yesterdays performance no one was good. This is a big day for him to prove people wrong.
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

After listening to everyone (Lucas needs one more week and deserves the Anzac Day honor) I say:

Must Ins:
-Bellchambers (to release Ryder and replace McPhee)***** we can't play with one ruck man!!!!!!
-Cale Hooker (to replace Daniher or Pears)
-Lonergan or Hocking (to replace Dyson)
-Lovett-Murray (to replace Quinn)
-Houli (speed and skill) (to replace Skipworth)

Must Outs:
-Quinn (need more time in seconds to refine skills)
-Dyson (patience run out)
-Daniher or Pears (need a rest)
-Skipworth (injured unfortunately)
-McPhee (teach him a lesson please!!!!!)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I doubt Smokey will be dropped for this match, its his 150th and we need all the experience and muscle we have to even go close to beating the Pies. Yes he had an awful game against the Roos but he was pretty good in the games before that. He is still a very useful player for us.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Has it been mentioned that Heath Shaw aint playing?

We he is out, so I think thats a big boost for our young backline.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

tom9779 wrote:Has it been mentioned that Heath Shaw aint playing?

I would think he would be playing because he was only rubbed out for the 1 week. Maxwell wont be there though.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

All the whining about umpires from the Collingwood camp this week might help a few dodgy decisions come our way on game day. Here's hoping...

[-o<
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Doctor Fish wrote:All the whining about umpires from the Collingwood camp this week might help a few dodgy decisions come our way on game day. Here's hoping...

[-o<
I was going to say that we should encourage the Pies players to 'shake' hands with umps at every opportunity :P :lol:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
tom9779 wrote:Has it been mentioned that Heath Shaw aint playing?

I would think he would be playing because he was only rubbed out for the 1 week. Maxwell wont be there though.
Shaw has hamstring tightness and Collingwood have said that he won't be playing this week.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

The only way we will come close to Collingwood is if we match them for defensive intensity.

Definite Ins:
Lonergan
Hocking

Definite Outs:
Skipworth (inj.)
Quinn (has had a good taste now and knows what he needs to do)

Potential ins/outs:
Houli for Dyson or Nash. Play Houli on the half forward flank - I think he has the potential to be quite creative and damaging there.
Hooker for Pears. Pears rested and told to work on disposal efficiency. Hooker in because he has demanded inclusion with good twos form.
Ruck wise I don't think we need Belly. Fraser is their only recognised ruckman.

Key defensive match-ups:

Rocca - Daniher. Tell him to run off and create at every opportunity. Rocca is clearly not match fit.
Cloke - Pears. Has the strength, endurance and speed to track Cloke and nullify him.
Anthony - Fletch. Third forward option for Magpies but can be dangerous as NAB game showed. Need to make sure he doesn't get it inside 50.
Medhurst - Slattery
Didak - Hocking
Daisy / Davis (resting forward) - Dempsey - pace is essential here.
It's likely to be Collingwood's small forwards that will hurt us as opposed to their big men.

In the middle:

Pendlebury, Lockyer, Swan, Didak and Davis need attention when they are in the middle. These are the guys that can really create.
The other midfielders inc. Fraser aren't particularly concerning.
We need to get Hille to completely batter Fraser for the first part of each quarter and then let Ryder use his athleticism and leap. We should be able to control the ruck contests.
Collingwood are quite soft around the ball - particularly with Maxwell out - so the more time that guys like Hille, McVeigh, Watson, Hocking and Lonergan are in there the better. Lovett, Winderlich and Stanton will add the polish but I'd like to see hardnuts a plenty in there - particularly at the beginning of quarters when Fraser is fresh and can give his teammates first use. Just keep grinding the ball out, tackling and shepherding. Single out Thomas, Didak, Davis and Pendlebury for attention.

Up forward:

Whoever has Presti (probably Lloyd) needs to drag him out of the square and get up around the 50m mark. Presti gets less effective the further you get from goal.
Whoever has O'Brien (probably Lucas) needs to drag him completely out of the contest - lead to the opposite wing to where the ball is coming down. O'Brien is almost impossible to beat one on one. He is like a big ugly growth that you develop at the first bounce and you need the club doctor to remove after the game.
Remaining tall backs are Goldsack and Brown. Whoever has Goldsack (particularly if its McPhee or Hille) should take him straight to the goal square and monster him.
Defensive forward (Monfries) on Shaw / Clarke (whoever is playing back there).

All team goals for this week should be around defensive pressure. Tackling, hard ball gets, defensive positioning, helping out, shepherding. Collingwood aren't particularly great individually but they win games because they get the 1%ers right. We need to match them for intensity at the contest and for numbers around the footy... if we can do that then our strengths (pace through the midfield and good tall forwards) should really shine through and we have a chance. Hence, Hocking and Lonergan MUST play.

My biggest concern this week: Is Maxwell a better sniper on-field or off-field?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Wouldn't be surprised if McPhee starts down back this week with Hooker up forward...
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Nice quote from Wiki about the big day...

For many people this may their closest involvement with ANZAC Day remembrance services. Sydney based journalist and former Australian rugby national representative player Peter FitzSimons commented in the Sydney Morning Herald of the 2008 game that he had:

...rarely seen something so impressive in the world of sport. As they played the Last Post and the national anthem, the 100,000-strong crowd [sic] uttered not a peep, whispered not a murmur. The atmosphere was electric and the general mood in the air one of reverence for the diggers and anticipation of the game to come...Somewhere, someone has done a superb job organising that landmark day in Australian sport.

Carna' Dons!!!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Josh Fraser is in great form, i'd like to see some more support for Hille if TB is up to it.

Medhurst needs to be held...Slattery?

I am also a little concerned about our forwards...I don't remember Lloyd having a great record against the pies...Lucas/McPhee WE NEED YOU BOTH NOW!

Would we put a tag on Pendlebury?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Doctor Fish wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if McPhee starts down back this week with Hooker up forward...
Why would Hooker be put in the forward line when he has been starring for Bendigo in defence? I would rather Smokey up forward.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Doctor Fish wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if McPhee starts down back this week with Hooker up forward...
Why would Hooker be put in the forward line when he has been starring for Bendigo in defence? I would rather Smokey up forward.
For one, he can mark the pill Mrs M. Something Smokey is struggling to do at the moment. It's just my opinion, but I reckon McPhee is a better footballer when he's playing on the back flank. And until Scotty, Neagle, and co start playing football, young Hooker might be pretty handy on the forward flank. Don't forget, he spent some of his time at centre half forward and on the wing in his East Freo days...

:wink:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:I doubt Smokey will be dropped for this match, its his 150th
Only if he plays.

I don't mind Ryder being the backup ruckman if he's playing forward, which he does a lot these days.
Plus it lets us play another midfielder.

Winderlich must not play on Medhurst again.

If Hooker plays, should be down back.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I'm going for the first time since 98. Agree with a lo of the sentiments on this post. Would like to see the following

Out : Dyson, Skip, Irishman
In: Houli, Myers, Lonergan

I reakon McFee and Lucas will be watched closely this week. Apard from Lloyd's effort against Carlton we have had nothing out of our forwards this year.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I agree on the comments re: McPhee, he is a flanker.

Slatts or McVeigh to Medhurst
Licha head to head on pendlebury

I;m worried about our capacity to kick goals...poor kicking so far by our forwarss. We got to see stants/lovett lift it a notch and slot a few more on the run.

I think we should go back to a Lloyd Lucas forward line, get smoke out of there and on a wing. hes got motor and a bit of strength. with ryder on the other.

I would like to see Knights play both Jetta and Davey in the forward 50 as crumbers.
something like this.

McVeigh,Fletcher, hooker
Dempsey, Pears, Slattery
Ryder Stanton Mcphee
stanton Lucas Davey
Jetta Lloyd Monfries
F Hille, Watson, Lovett

bench: Zaka, lonergan, nlm, hocking
in: lonergan, nlm, hooker, hocking - all deserve a crack from what i have been reading.

out: daniher(omit), skippy(inj), quinn(omit), dyson(omit)

maybe going a touch tall with 3 mids out and only 2 back in. I figure from the backline will be either Pears or Daniher rested for hooker not both.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy. Scattered showers, increasing to rain during the afternoon. Winds west to northwesterly averaging 20 to 35 km/h.
City
Showers increasing to rain periods.
Min
Max

f*** ME! Crack out the rain coats and ponchos. i think this will deter some of the expecte 90,000
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

if it is wet on Saturday arvo... will that be to our advantage or Coll?