Big Fella Gorn

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Big Fella Gorn

Post by Rossoneri »

Hooker to play down back with Ryder to play ruck and forward line?
TB to play as ruckman then go on bench?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Such an innocuous looking incident, too. What can you say other than "f***"?

Interesting that Hooker might get a run in the ruck. Any chance of Bock getting promoted? All i know is he's about as tall as a telegraph pole and about as thick as a needle.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

TB must stand up....it would be expecting to much of Ryder to shoulder the burden of the ruck for the whole season. Once Hurley is fit and Darcy Daniher is back, they will play in the backline. Ryder can play ruck with support from TB.
Hille is a massive loss...just hope he can come back bigger and better!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Bellchambers will get his chance much earlier than the ideal. He's a young ruckman learning his trade and still needs 2-3 years of development and gymnasia to be adequately prepared.

He will however have a crack. I think he's shown in his limited exposure that he's not completely oblivious to the art of the ruck. Simon Maddern will be working extra hard to escalate his development.

He will have many games where he gets a walloping I expect, and as supporters it will be important to understand this. His role will be support and respite for Ryder, who will also struggle against some of the bigger and better ruckman.

Watson and Lonergan and the other "at their feet" midfielders will become even more important.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

To be honest ... not great for us for this year (will miss the Hille Watson linkups), but a huge boost for our long term development. Ryder and Bellchambers will get 12-18 games of senior experience, and if Laycock comes back (umm how long is indefinate???) further options- gives us a huge boost for 2010 when Hille returns.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

That footage should be shown to the players over and over and over again, to drum into just how f****** important they can actaully dispose of the ball to the advantage of their team-mate.

If that was a decent kick, David Hille takes a chest mark, without having to jump off the ground, does not land akwardly, does not do his ACL and were are not without our reigning B&F and best ruckman for the rest of the season.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

ealesy wrote:That footage should be shown to the players over and over and over again, to drum into just how f****** important they can actaully dispose of the ball to the advantage of their team-mate.

If that was a decent kick, David Hille takes a chest mark, without having to jump off the ground, does not land akwardly, does not do his ACL and were are not without our reigning B&F and best ruckman for the rest of the season.
Correct. Simple stuff, massive sequelae. Dempsey may feel it however, and that would be wrong for him.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Just before he did it there was an odd incident when the ball bounced near him and another Collingwood player (I think possibly Fraser) and he seemed to go up awkwardly to try and bump him instead of going for the ball. I wondered after he went down with his knee whether it was in fact that first play that contributed to the knee rupture.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

MH_Bomber wrote:Just before he did it there was an odd incident when the ball bounced near him and another Collingwood player (I think possibly Fraser) and he seemed to go up awkwardly to try and bump him instead of going for the ball. I wondered after he went down with his knee whether it was in fact that first play that contributed to the knee rupture.
Interesting. I might see if I can spot that on the replay. Quite possible I s'pose.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:That footage should be shown to the players over and over and over again, to drum into just how f****** important they can actaully dispose of the ball to the advantage of their team-mate.

I remember reading years ago (I forget the players involved) but it was early in the piece of Sheedy's reign (around 1982 - 83). A player had given a team mate the famous "hospital handpass" and set him up for an absolute crunching. He was knocked out cold and taken to hospital for obs. Sheedy dragged the offending player off the field and made him sit on the pine for the rest of the day. He got on the phone and told him "I want you to think about what you did to (insert player) and what you're going to say to him when you see him next". After the game, Sheeds grabbed him and took him along to the Royal Melbourne. As they entered the room Sheeds told him "this is what happens when you can't handpass properly".
Essendunny
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

when is laypenis due back???

perfect time for him to step up. He owes the EFC. Getting paid for eating donuts so far.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Are we seriously blaming the kick for Hille's knee?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Sismis wrote:Are we seriously blaming the kick for Hille's knee?
A more precise kick, and Hille continues on. He jumped up, stretching for the ball kicked under no immediate pressure from 25 metres away. When he landed on his left leg from the stretch, his knee was still straight. Bingo.

It might've happened anywhere, but that describes the circumstance.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

He has to learn to not go up one handed. Done it his entire career, more often then not it means he lands on the one leg as well. Feel sorry for the guy, did my knee the EXACT same way. Gives Laycock no excuses not to perform in the second half of the season.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nathanskinner wrote:He has to learn to not go up one handed. Done it his entire career, more often then not it means he lands on the one leg as well. Feel sorry for the guy, did my knee the EXACT same way. Gives Laycock no excuses not to perform in the second half of the season.

He is a ruckman for gawdsake. He has spent his entire football career jumping up with one hand and landing on one leg. Its just damned bad luck and it would appear he was simply due for this to happen
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I'm a fair bit worried about the future of Hille. Shaun Rehn & Luke Darky come to mind as ruckmen who've done knees, and they both re-injured and after 2 years out of the game, were a shadow of their former self. Is there evidence of ruckmen who've done knees in the last 10 years and came back better than ever?

The club has to do everything possible to make sure Hille is 100% ready to go and has had plenty of match practice without going too hard. Even if it takes 18 months, i'd rather see him continue a great career.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Very bad luck and that's all it was. It'll hurt the team in the short term without him there but in the long term it may well have a positive effect.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Hille = Malceski.

Make it happen EFC.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Its a huge loss that we wont have Hille for the rest of the year.... but if it was to happen im glad it has happened early in the season. It would have been worse for Hille to go down in say round 13 or 14 with the risk that he might miss half of next year as well. All being well in his rehab Hille should be right to go at the start of the 2010 season.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Huge loss, but great gain (Paddy, senior games into Belly & Hooker)...

Having done a knee in a similar manner, I can say the first thought that went through my mind was 'Crap he is gone for the season'

I saw the knee 'bounce' and when he went down, I remembered my own pain when I did my ACL...he landed Hyper extended and the knee had no chance....