Am I Being Naive?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Am I Being Naive?

Post by robbie67 »

Why aren't we "the story" this week? In the little paper, it's all about Malthouse, and what Collingwood didn't do. The big paper is once again raving about Carlton and their young brigade. Yesterday's press was all about Richmond,Coughlan, Wallace etc etc. On the couch tonight, Healy who I usually have some respect for was saying that we "stole it" because it shouldnt have been a free kick against Rocca to Fletcher (does the guy not watch the game anymore?, you cant put your hand on someone's back).

Apparently it's not enough to kick 3 goals in the last 4 minutes, to win a game where your ruckman does his knee in the first two minutes........on Anzac Day in the biggest home and away game of the year....... with nothing from Lucas and Lloyd.......and the winning goal is kicked by a 19 year old kid playing his 4th game, who is a lifelong supporter of the club. If this isnt a ******* story, what the hell is?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Re: Am I Being Naive?

Post by Doctor Fish »

Couldn't agree more Robbie. Maybe those in charge fear a red and black revival... Who knows?..

Apparently Sheeds is on Footy Crapified now. Suppose we'll see what he has to say hey...
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Happy to slide under the radar - lets just keep a lid on it. No point being the story of the week only to fall in a heap against the Lions
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Eddie pulling the strings in the media somehow. He's out there attacking anyone who has a snipe at Collingwood (just ask Dave Hughes). You can see it in that fckwit Garry Lyon's eyes tonight, he was sympathetic, if not, apologetic about Collingwood's loss. Defended Josh Fraser and defended Mick Malthouse. In fact, you'd think Garry Lyon played 226 games for Collingwood.

You're right, not once did anyone discuss the fantastic effort of our guys to kick 3 goals in the last 3minutes IN THE ******* WET. All they focussed on was where so and so should have positioned themselves in that contest, or how so and so should have kicked it to such and such.

I don't care though, I'm off to see the last 5 minutes for the 21st time......

ZAKA!

8)
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

We'll leave to your mate FATPRICK to do the ASSASSINATION of the FILTH like he did Yesterday. :lol:
auditor
High Draft Pick

Post by auditor »

Spot on Robbie.
The media have even gone to the extent of blaming Josh Fraser for Collingwus's loss, facts are if we had kicked straight in the 3/4 we would have won by 30+ pts.
I remember in 2000 the media never applauded Essendon the way it ejaculates over the Cats, Carlscum and Dorkthawn etc.
Let’s face it people we love the Dons but others are jealous of what we have.
It just fell out of the sky
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I totally agree Rob, but really, who gives a shit? I'd rather us not be the story. We should just go about quietly doing our business, no fanfare, no hype. That's the way I like it and I'm sure that's the way the players like it.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

There was a good segment on One's One week at a time. Sure they harked on a little about the Rocca no goal and 50m penalty but Walls, Quartermain and Matthew Richardson gave us a big wrap. The focus of the segment was on how we won the game, not how Collingwood lost it. And that's what it should be. We were the team making the play in the final few minutes.
Bombers till' I die
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Couldn't agree more Rob.

But let's face it - no one in the media gave us any chance this year, nor did they give us any chance in the two games between Carlton and Collingwood. Add to this, that as a power-house club, we are terribly under-represented in the media (past players etc).

It's all about saving face for these band-wagon jumping pricks. Collingwood and Carlton are better - because they say so - therefore they lost those games, rather than Essendon winning them.

Every discussion I've heard (primarily on MMM and SEN (aka Saints radio) re: who will make up the 8 - have Essendon dropping out.

Still I'd rather be under the radar than continually embarrassed like Carlton and Collingwood.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I was actually thinking the same thing this morning. Personally I think it is a huge benefit that we aren't attracting much attention. Let Collingwood and Carlton cop all that and we can go about business.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I think it may be a bit short sighted to say that it is good to be "flying under the radar". Yes, it makes it a bit easier to prepare for next weeks game, and doesnt allow the young players to get ahead of themselves, I do understand all that. BUT, dont the younger players need to learn what it is like playing for a big club that is going well? Shouldnt they be getting used to that? What about our sponsors? Isnt it important we give them as much positive exposure as possible? Isnt it also important that the sort of win we had on the weekend is publicity that money cant buy, and will attract far more new members, than any campaign the club could run itself? Some long term benefits to think about there guys.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote:I think it may be a bit short sighted to say that it is good to be "flying under the radar". Yes, it makes it a bit easier to prepare for next weeks game, and doesnt allow the young players to get ahead of themselves, I do understand all that. BUT, dont the younger players need to learn what it is like playing for a big club that is going well? Shouldnt they be getting used to that? What about our sponsors? Isnt it important we give them as much positive exposure as possible? Isnt it also important that the sort of win we had on the weekend is publicity that money cant buy, and will attract far more new members, than any campaign the club could run itself? Some long term benefits to think about there guys.

Media coverage does not correlate to win/loss Ratio Rob. I dont give a f*** about how much press we get as long as we win. The week after the Carlton game we got a fair bit of media only to put a up a weak as piss effort against that shite North Melbourne. Yep, love reading about the Dons but frankly we need to prove ourselves before getting carried away with a couple of wins.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I'm pretty pissed off by people saying "we pinched it" we had exactly the same scoring shots and missed as many easy ones as they did! If we hadn't pissfarted about with the ball at the end of the third and let them back in the game, I don;t think they would have got near us.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Agreed Sismis. We didn't pinch it, they didn't lose it. WE WERE BETTER