Team v Brissie.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Re: Team v Brissie.

Post by azza78 »

Bellchambers needs to play. If we happen to lose Ryder to injury (heaven forbid) we'd be farked.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

azza78 wrote:Bellchambers needs to play. If we happen to lose Ryder to injury (heaven forbid) we'd be farked.
... Hooker could play. Brissie have their own ruck problems, and Hooker has form, and may be a more flexible option in the absence of any expert Brissie ruck.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Should still play Belly. Nothing against Hooker, but he ain't a ruckman IMO. We were bloody luck to get away with it after losing Hille last week, but expecting a pinch-hitting KPP to ruck all day should Ryder go down is not an attractive propsition even against the 2 fill-ins the Lions will roll out.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

hillchaser wrote:Like Filthy - I'm also operating under the assumption that Jetta will be dropped. Was at the game on

Saturday and he was hopeless. Can't remember him putting his body into a single contest and didn't get near winning a one on one. Should be dropped. In the meantime Houli has been in the best players at Bendigo over the last few weeks. I can't fathom why Jetta gets picked ahead of him.

Hurley will be automatic once he gets fit but not sure what to do about our forwards ?
I must have been at a different game.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

rockhole wrote:
hillchaser wrote:Like Filthy - I'm also operating under the assumption that Jetta will be dropped.
....I must have been at a different game
Just my opinion but if you watch the game you will see;

Jetta zones off on his man.. even when there is a chance to put some physical contact on an opposition player he never puts his body on the line... watch the rest of our players in that game .. they committed their bodies to the contest every time.. even when an opposition player was sure to get a kick or handball away they still put some physical pressure on the player and we forced a lot of bad disposals. Leroy avoids physical contact.

Watch the game again at his second efforts ... they don't exist ...Then compare that to the likes of Winderlich, Monfries, Davey , Lonergan who all played on the wing and up forward at times.. some of their second efforts were amazing on the weekend... you just don't see that from Leroy.

When we are attacking Leroy is easily pushed off the ball and rarely puts his body on the line for a 50/50. He did kick a good goal at the end.. but for me he doesn't seem to have the commitment that the rest of the team showed.

Just my opinion and as I said I expect him to be dropped this week. If not, then I guess I just saw the game different to everyone else.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

hillchaser wrote:
rockhole wrote:
hillchaser wrote:Like Filthy - I'm also operating under the assumption that Jetta will be dropped.
....I must have been at a different game
Just my opinion but if you watch the game you will see;

Jetta zones off on his man.. even when there is a chance to put some physical contact on an opposition player he never puts his body on the line... watch the rest of our players in that game .. they committed their bodies to the contest every time.. even when an opposition player was sure to get a kick or handball away they still put some physical pressure on the player and we forced a lot of bad disposals. Leroy avoids physical contact.

Watch the game again at his second efforts ... they don't exist ...Then compare that to the likes of Winderlich, Monfries, Davey , Lonergan who all played on the wing and up forward at times.. some of their second efforts were amazing on the weekend... you just don't see that from Leroy.

When we are attacking Leroy is easily pushed off the ball and rarely puts his body on the line for a 50/50. He did kick a good goal at the end.. but for me he doesn't seem to have the commitment that the rest of the team showed.

Just my opinion and as I said I expect him to be dropped this week. If not, then I guess I just saw the game different to everyone else.
Ummmm you are talking about the collingwood game right? ANZAC day? His second third and forth efforts caused ZERO Leon to kick out of bounds on the full.... That got us a goal, he kicked another one himself in the last five minutes and was involved in the passage of play to get the ball to Zaharakis. I'd say he's more than earned his spot.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Leroy's first and fourth quarters were excellent. If he had have managed to kick the goal running into the goal square it would have been one of the most heroic efforts in Bomber history - he kicked the first of the resurgence, caused the second by laying two beautiful tackles and then should have sealed the game but got an attack of the fumbles.

He had 5 score assists and it was only because of poor finishing on behalf of his teammates that they didn't all turn into goal assists. Leroy, Davey and Monfries caused Collingwood exactly the kind of havoc that we expected Davis, Medhurst and Thomas to cause us.

It was a pity to see him walking with his head down after the siren - in my opinion he should have held it up high and proud.

For mine:

In: Hooker, Daniher
Out: Hille, Myers

Hooker over Bellchambers: Mitch Clark doesn't present a huge threat in the ruck and I think that Ryder has the tools to ruck all day again. Hooker has been working on his ruckwork with Madden and has played a pinch hitting Bendigo while displaying some exceptional form at CHB. He gives us an additional option in the ruck and another body to throw at Brown and Bradshaw. Bellchambers to come in next week for Hawthorn.

Daniher over Myers: Myers hasn't been in great form and he seems to be really restricted physically at the moment. Couldn't even kick the ball 50m on Saturday so I wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of groin issue... early signs of OP? We need big bodies in defense against the Lions and I'd really like to see Daniher take it to Browny. Huge nuts that boy.

Houli will be the first picked if Lonergan or Lloyd doesn't get up. McVeigh is not playing - ankle is still crook.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Did a couple of things in the last quarter ... I still don't think those things justify his spot in the 22 at the moment. It's about intensity and commitment over 4 quarters. Personally I think Houli is a much better option

That said I suspect that Knights might persist with him this week and he should come out breathing fire.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

He is a small forward and it is a tough role to make an impact with limited opportunities. When the game was on the line, actually when the game looked gone, he showed some tremendous heart muscle to step up.

I admit I have felt the same about him in the past, that he lacked commiment, and it wasn't untill I watched the replay that i saw the work he did in the last couple of minutes. But like Dyson, who i've had similar concerns about ,it could well be a turning point. They must be given the chance to show they can back up.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

B: Fletcher Pears Slattery

HB: Dempsey Lovett-Murray Myers

C: Dyson Stanton Monfries

HF: Winderlich Lucas Jetta

F: McPhee Lloyd Davey

R: Ryder Watson Lovett

INT: Lonergan Hocking Zaharakis Hooker

EMG: Neagle Williams Houli

INS: Hooker

OUTS: Hille (knee)
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

JumboPaddy wrote:B: Fletcher Pears Slattery

HB: Dempsey Lovett-Murray Myers

C: Dyson Stanton Monfries

HF: Winderlich Lucas Jetta

F: McPhee Lloyd Davey

R: Ryder Watson Lovett

INT: Lonergan Hocking Zaharakis Hooker

EMG: Neagle Williams Houli

INS: Hooker

OUTS: Hille (knee)
Neagle an Emergency. Does this mean Lloyd's corkie is not good?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I like this team...minimal change (and that forced) helps the team develop as a unit.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Hooker has earned his spot, but i'd prefer more support for Paddy.

Still they are in the same boat as us ruck wise.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Sismis wrote:Hooker has earned his spot, but i'd prefer more support for Paddy.

Still they are in the same boat as us ruck wise.
Likewise, but at the same time, you cant reward poor form. Apparently TB has been ordinary at Bendigo, so why would he be any better in the seniors? Hooker can play ruck, so he will give Paddy a chop out every now and then.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Great to see that Hooker's form at Bendigo has been rewarded. We can get away without playing TB this week because the only ruckman the Lions have is Mitch Clark. It will be a big game for players like Myers, Jetta and Pears because they are fighting to keep their spots in the senior side.

Neagle and Williams played well for Bendigo in the loss on the weekend which is probably why they have been named as emergencies with Houli. I wonder what has happened to Nash and Atkinson... both seem to be struggling to stay in contention for senior spots at the moment.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Great to see that Hooker's form at Bendigo has been rewarded. We can get away without playing TB this week because the only ruckman the Lions have is Mitch Clark. It will be a big game for players like Myers, Jetta and Pears because they are fighting to keep their spots in the senior side.

Neagle and Williams played well for Bendigo in the loss on the weekend which is probably why they have been named as emergencies with Houli. I wonder what has happened to Nash and Atkinson... both seem to be struggling to stay in contention for senior spots at the moment.
I'd want Neagle to play more than his usual 15 minutes though. He just doesn't do enough to warrant a key position post with one or two goals and 15 minutes of good footy. When he's ready to kick a nice bag of 5 and look dangerous for most of the game, I'll be happy for him to return to the seniors. I'm disappointed with his output this season. I thought he was going to take the next step, but it looks as though he's slipped. Very frustrating.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yes i dont think that Jay deserves a senior spot at the moment. When he starts dominating at Bendigo then we may see him back in the senior side. Its a big year for Williams though, he needs to play some senior footy this year because he is out of contract at seasons end and i cant really see where he will fit in our future plans at the moment.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

We absolutely need to play Belly IMHO. Lions are going to play very hard, very physical footy in EVERY ruck contest against Ryder, because he's young and because he's not all that experienced. And they're big bastards who play the man as much as - if not more than - the ball. I won't be remotely surprised if Ryder ends up if not injured, but very tender if he's required to play in ruck for the entire match.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote: I'd want Neagle to play more than his usual 15 minutes though. He just doesn't do enough to warrant a key position post with one or two goals and 15 minutes of good footy. When he's ready to kick a nice bag of 5 and look dangerous for most of the game, I'll be happy for him to return to the seniors. I'm disappointed with his output this season. I thought he was going to take the next step, but it looks as though he's slipped. Very frustrating.
Sounds like my yearly review at work BD

Jetta pretty much one us the game in the end on Saturday so leave the poor bloke alone!!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Megan wrote:We absolutely need to play Belly IMHO. Lions are going to play very hard, very physical footy in EVERY ruck contest against Ryder, because he's young and because he's not all that experienced. And they're big bastards who play the man as much as - if not more than - the ball. I won't be remotely surprised if Ryder ends up if not injured, but very tender if he's required to play in ruck for the entire match.
Megan, Ryder and Mitch Clark rucked against each other as youngsters...then they've got Brennan. They're hardly a pair of big bodied experienced rucks like a Lade and Bogan! Ryder and Hooker may make a mobile, flexible pairing...let's hope so anyhow!