Must win game...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Must win game...

Post by tonysoprano »

Today's game is a MUST win if our season is to go anywhere. Now I know we should take things one week at a time, but our next month includes Hawthorn, St Kilda and Geelong - who I'm sure you will all agree are better sides than we. Get done today and we might we be sitting about 12th come the 1st of June.

I do hope we are switched on right from the word go. If so, I think we are a better team than the Bears, if not, its gonna be one frustrating night.

C'mon Bombers!
hop
Club Captain

Re: Must win game...

Post by hop »

Absolutely 'T'

The Brians, Carlton, Collingwood, Norf (how the F**K did we lose that one?), Ninthdom and by and large the interstate teams are the one we need to be competitive with and preferably win more than lose.

Two things need to happen this year if we are going to go anywhere. Firstly we have to improve our disgraceful record on the road - and tonight could be a start. Secondly we need to find some alternative scoring options up front.

Our season and our confidence could very well be determined at the Gabba this evening.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

im still not over that loss to north. it really made our win over an in form carlton the week before seem meaningless.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Going to be hard to win when your FF is injured, your CHF cant fire a shot, your CHB was your CHF two weeks ago and your ruckman was your CHB two weeks ago.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:Going to be hard to win when your FF is injured, your CHF cant fire a shot, your CHB was your CHF two weeks ago and your ruckman was your CHB two weeks ago.
Yeah, all that worries me quite a bit. Having Ryder in the ruck is great. But who the f*** is gunna play on Brown?
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Would not have been Ryder, doesn't have the body strength to play on Brown.

Besides it's usually Bradshaw who rips us a new one, not Brown.

The only time in recent years I can remember Brown really getting a hold of us was back in 2005 at the Dome when he kicked 8 against us, and Zantuck played on him most of the night.

Personally our best match up for Brown speed and strength wise is McPhee, but he simply doesn't have the brain to play on him.

Knights has shown he has a fair amount of faith in our youngsters, might be another case where he throws a Pears or Hooker on Brown and just backs them.

No point having Fletcher on Brown, the would just take him back to the goalsquare isolate him, Brown wouldn't bother leading, they would just kick it to them one on one and Brown would use his far superior strength and have a night out.

Personally, the midfield is the key to how well our backline goes tonight, if we at least break even in the midfield, it should prevent Brown and Bradshaw from having a major influence on the game.

If this game was at the Dome I would be tipping us for a 6+ goal win, but given it is the GABBA, who really knows what will happen. Also given the win last week, we could suffer another massive let down just like we did in the North game after the Carlton game. Brisbane will also be wanting to atone for the absolute pantsing Geelong gave them.

Personally in terms of defensive match ups

My opening match ups would be:
Hooker vs Brown
McPhee vs Bradshaw

Free up Fletcher as a loose man and direct him to be the third man up.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Hawthorn, St Kilda, Richmond (bogey side) and Geelong in the next month. I agree, win tonight is a must.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

well, obviously going to be a long season. we'll be lucky to escape the bottom this year despite having a couple of great wins - we are clearly not able to back it up week in week out. Inconsistent = shit team.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

tonysoprano wrote:well, obviously going to be a long season. we'll be lucky to escape the bottom this year despite having a couple of great wins - we are clearly not able to back it up week in week out. Inconsistent = shit team.
The next month is not promising at all. Whats the bet that the Tigers will decide to perform against as well. :(
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

tonysoprano wrote:well, obviously going to be a long season. we'll be lucky to escape the bottom this year despite having a couple of great wins - we are clearly not able to back it up week in week out. Inconsistent = shit team.
Turn it up. Look, there are 3 teams that are clearly better than the rest (Geelong, Hawthorn, St Kilda), one or two teams that are clearly worse than the rest (Melbourne, Freo & West Coast when they play interstate), and then the remaining 10 or so teams are a raffle where who wins on a given day is determined by a few variables such as the respective clubs' injuries, who has home ground advantage, and who executes better on the day.

No need for wrist slashing.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Any chances of making the 8 ended when Hille went down last week. We dont have one of the better list in the comp, so we need some luck with injuries, which hasnt happened. McVeigh, Welsh, Reimers will make us better, but we obviously need more production from our 2 key forwards. Still a long way from being a good side.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Turn it up. Look, there are 3 teams that are clearly better than the rest (Geelong, Hawthorn, St Kilda), one or two teams that are clearly worse than the rest (Melbourne, Freo & West Coast when they play interstate), and then the remaining 10 or so teams are a raffle where who wins on a given day is determined by a few variables such as the respective clubs' injuries, who has home ground advantage, and who executes better on the day.

No need for wrist slashing.
sorry - just recognised my typo - I meant escape the bottom 4. but perhaps you still disagree?
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Forward entries were similar to Bris. We run forward ok (minus the turnovers), but if we're not scoring goals, we will continue to cop it the other way.
Needed some bigger, experienced players (ie. our injury list).