Let's consider Neagle...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
F111
Essendon Legend

Let's consider Neagle...

Post by F111 »

A couple of good marks and leads, a few direct goal assists, was more mobile than I think I've ever seen him.

Kicked straight enough. Strong lad, good hands.

His opponent was Brown, who generally plays straight, tough and taller. I thought Brown was almost timid in last nights game. No spark.

Can Neagle do that to players? Does he exert a presence to fear. He seems to have a "quiet" demeanour, but that may just be a statement like "don't f*** with me or I'll do you"!

Maybe Brown just had a quiet night or maybe Neagles strength surprised him?
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: Let's consider Neagle...

Post by tonysoprano »

I'm a big fan of Jay - looks a natural footballer. Great contested mark early, and looks to be a lovely kick at goal, and has reasonable footy smarts. Fitness is the issue. Need to get him up to peak fitness asap. Not sure about this area - but don't boxers do skipping to work on their foot speed and overall aerobic capacity? Could be the way for Jay, rather than running up dunes, or whatever it is they do in the modern game.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

tonysoprano wrote:Not sure about this area - but don't boxers do skipping to work on their foot speed and overall aerobic capacity? Could be the way for Jay, rather than running up dunes, or whatever it is they do in the modern game.
Get him to do the steps at Parliament House 20 times a day for a month...

F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Just watching the replay...loved how he put Brown on his ar$e after kicking a goal. I don't think Brown recovered from that! :D
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Natural footballer - needs to be played.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
The Don
Top Up Player

Post by The Don »

He did some good things last night, his goals and assists were excellent. Correct me if I am wrong but Merv Neagle as I remember him was a centreman with fast hands and pin point foot skills. I think he also came close to winning a Brownlow. Jay seems to be bigger frame than his dad so wouldnt be suited to the same running rover type role.. If he has inherited some of his dad's football smarts and can use his size to impose himself particularly up forward, he is going to be a formiddable footballer in the buddy franklin mould if given the match time to develop.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The Don wrote:He did some good things last night, his goals and assists were excellent. Correct me if I am wrong but Merv Neagle as I remember him was a centreman with fast hands and pin point foot skills. I think he also came close to winning a Brownlow. Jay seems to be bigger frame than his dad so wouldnt be suited to the same running rover type role.. If he has inherited some of his dad's football smarts and can use his size to impose himself particularly up forward, he is going to be a formiddable footballer in the buddy franklin mould if given the match time to develop.
Yep - his old man was a 'Chas' runner-up when Tim Watson was a favourite. Tim came third. Took votes off each other.

Both were great centre/forward players who were well fed by the greatest ruck combination off all-time.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Still needs to build up the fitness base and work hard to keep the ball inside 50 when it hits the desk.

Still needs to drop a bit of weights I think, similar to Jobe in the first few years a the club. I think once this occurs, the injuries should start to reduce and we will see his best.

Very promising game from him.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Liked his second efforts especially the thumping kick around the corner that Lloydy marked with one hand. Will never be really agile, but Dunstall and Lockett were hardly nimble.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I liked his kick to Monfries...from hff/wing across chf to the opposite hff/fp. Monfries swallowed what looked like a relaxed chest mark. Beautiful vision and perfect kick.