Tht Monday Night Game we played in 1952

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Tht Monday Night Game we played in 1952

Post by pevfan »

Just out of curiosity, I checked that game out on the club's website (every game ever played) It was played at the Brisbane Showgrounds against reigning premiers Geelong. We thumped them and a bloke by the name of Coleman kicked a lazy 13.

What a pity we don't have more footage of those great games from the past.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Tht Monday Night Game we played in 1952

Post by Windy_Hill »

Why on earth were we playing Geelong on a Monday night in Brisbane at their Showgrounds???
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

An early attempt to show the Northern Barbarians of the virtures of our great game with its best player on show.
And he certainly lived up to it.
But they were very slow learners.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Did they get a Greyhound or fly TAA?
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Twas the golden era for both clubs, so obviously it was meant to be a showcase game. Although sadly Essendon's magical run was just on the wane then, while Geelong's was on the rise (they, in fact, won the big one in 52 making it back to back flags) while we, I see, missed the finals altogether that year. But at the time it was played (June) the 2 clubs were the reigning grand Finalists from the previous year.

Didn't stop us from thrashing them by 69 points though and it drew a fair old crowd too 28,000.

It makes for some interesting reading some of those games in the history section of the club's website. I noted the return game against the Cats later that season was a draw with the great one bagging another 6 out of a team total of 7 that day.

I always regretted not seeing Coleman play (just missed his career by 'that' much chief) but never tire of hearing from anyone that did (see him play)...what a freak he must have been.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I did not see Coleman by my Old Man did.

He thinks his first game was against Hawthorn where he bagged a lazy 10!!. Imaging some scrawny kid turning up from Hastings and getting 10 goals in his first game nowdays. Sheahan and Bruce would have heart attacks.

He saw one game against St. Kilda whereby with 2 guys in front and 2 guys behind, he just rost into the air without a run up and took a one grabber several feet above the opposition. A St Kilda ruckman looking on, stood with his mouth open and simply applauded.

Dad said he took at least 3 to 4 hangers a match and was deadly accurate over 40 - 45 yards. Basically kicked flat punts like Hudson. Was dynamite on the lead and fed beautifully by Hutchy who could shove a stab pass through a key hole..

He copped absolute buggery from back players and you could imagine with one umpire, that he was consistently whacked behind the ear going for marks. He was a real fiery bastard and his retaliation to Carlton's Harry Casper in a final cost him 4 weeks and the club a certain premiership.

Dad witnessed massive crowds changing ends at each quarter change just to watch Coleman in action. He swelled the coffers at Windy Hill for the years he played and many rival supporters would go just to watch him.

Dad has no doubt he was the greatest full forward ever to play and he has seen them all.

For anybody who can get to the Hall of Fame, there is a wonderful collection of press clippngs dedicated to Coleman which I have seen. You may need to ask where it is kept but it provides a wonderful insight to an amazing player. Believe it or not, there is a letter from St George Rugby Club trying to poach Coleman to play League!!.

Dad was very close to the club. His father was Club Secretary for 34 years and is in the Hall of Fame. He does not believe the current story going around that Coleman could have played on but chose not to. The Coleman he knew would have played on one leg if he could.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

In fact he kicked 12 in his first game, which was indeed against Hawthorn. His unfortunate opponent was also making his debut.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Imagine how he would have gone playing under today's conditions...Pristine, weather proof playing arenas like the dome in stead of the crappy mud heap quagmires he'd have played on back then. The "Can't touch em" rules of today compared to the almost anything goes tactics of yesteryear. The No kicking out on the full rule. . How many would he have kicked???... The mind boggles at the thought.