Essendon vs St Kilda Match Preview Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Essendon vs St Kilda Match Preview Thread

Post by Windy_Hill »

visiting saint wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
visiting saint wrote: Personally I have a well grounded and thoroughly reasonable hatred of Carlton. May the criminal, la-de-da arseclowns in navy blue disappear overnight. May Criminal Park burn to the ground and their insurance policy be out of date. May their arrogant, smug, self-importance be laid waste at the feet of eternal wooden spoons (yes, I know plenty about wooden spoons).
Ah, you've won many friends right here and now :wink: :lol:

I'm enjoying reading your stuff. Hope you hang around for a while.

Long time Saint supporter eh? You'd have some good stories to tell. Oh, and I have to ask.......you're not Molly Meldrum are you? :-k
cheers Ben. Nah mate. Not Molly. Am yet to see a flag but hope springs eternal.
Have been a Saint since I could walk. It was a barrack for St.Kilda or move out kind of household. Went to Windy Hill plenty of times as a youngster. One of my favourite players of that era was Goggles Blethyn. Used to love the fact that he played with glasses. I never really developed any dislike for the Bombers, they've always been neutral for me and they've had some great players over the years. Van Der Haar, Hird, Simon Madden, Michael Long, Gavin Wanganeen.
Have watched with envy your multiple premierships during my lifetime and been to some great games. Will never forget walking into the gents loo at the MCG after the 1984 GF and the whole place heaving with ecstatic Essendon supporters. 'See the Bombers Fly Up' being bellowed by hundreds of delirious red faced blokes inside a concrete loo was something I wont forget and I remember then wondering how it would feel if it were my team. Some of you will empathise, some like Windy_Hill will want to rub it in and tell me what a crap club we are. Whatever. Have never even considered supporting anyone else. Once a Saint, always a Saint. It's that kind of club loyalty that was the root of Melbourne's tribal football culture.
I would never say Saint Kilda are a crap club!!!

Surely there is a more dergatory term than crap

pathetic, spineless and ammusing are just three words that I would personally choose.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Windy_Hill wrote: I would never say Saint Kilda are a crap club!!!

Surely there is a more dergatory term than crap

pathetic, spineless and ammusing are just three words that I would personally choose.
cheap shots mate. If that's the best you can muster go back to the playground. Three words for you. Water. Duck. Back.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

visiting saint wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
visiting saint wrote: Personally I have a well grounded and thoroughly reasonable hatred of Carlton. May the criminal, la-de-da arseclowns in navy blue disappear overnight. May Criminal Park burn to the ground and their insurance policy be out of date. May their arrogant, smug, self-importance be laid waste at the feet of eternal wooden spoons (yes, I know plenty about wooden spoons).
Ah, you've won many friends right here and now :wink: :lol:

I'm enjoying reading your stuff. Hope you hang around for a while.

Long time Saint supporter eh? You'd have some good stories to tell. Oh, and I have to ask.......you're not Molly Meldrum are you? :-k
cheers Ben. Nah mate. Not Molly. Am yet to see a flag but hope springs eternal.
Have been a Saint since I could walk. It was a barrack for St.Kilda or move out kind of household. Went to Windy Hill plenty of times as a youngster. One of my favourite players of that era was Goggles Blethyn. Used to love the fact that he played with glasses. I never really developed any dislike for the Bombers, they've always been neutral for me and they've had some great players over the years. Van Der Haar, Hird, Simon Madden, Michael Long, Gavin Wanganeen.
Have watched with envy your multiple premierships during my lifetime and been to some great games. Will never forget walking into the gents loo at the MCG after the 1984 GF and the whole place heaving with ecstatic Essendon supporters. 'See the Bombers Fly Up' being bellowed by hundreds of delirious red faced blokes inside a concrete loo was something I wont forget and I remember then wondering how it would feel if it were my team. Some of you will empathise, some like Windy_Hill will want to rub it in and tell me what a crap club we are. Whatever. Have never even considered supporting anyone else. Once a Saint, always a Saint. It's that kind of club loyalty that was the root of Melbourne's tribal football culture.
That's so true...although the facilities are so much better these days, my fondest memories (apart from the '84 GF) of going to the footy are of standing on the terraces in the outer at Windy Hill with my mates.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Can you believe it?
The game is still two days away and this thread already runs 4 pages! :?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

billyduckworth wrote:Can you believe it?
The game is still two days away and this thread already runs 4 pages! :?
haha i know.... it seems everyone has a lot to talk about this week!
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

No change for the Bombers. King in for McEvoy for the Saints.
Still wouldn't be surprised if King doesn't come up and McEvoy plays.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

visiting saint wrote:No change for the Bombers. King in for McEvoy for the Saints.
Still wouldn't be surprised if King doesn't come up and McEvoy plays.
Thanks for the update... i didint think we would make any changes this week. Bendigo need all the help they can get lol!!
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Look people it's all very nice and lovey dovey now.....some may even say intimate.

You get a compliment or two...a bit of flirtation...hell... who's it hurting?

Then comes the big event!

Not that I'm saying anything is wrong here... but we will wake up Monday morning.

I just want to make sure that when you roll over and see 'visiting saint' comfortably numb ...under the doona...you don't want to chew your arm off and make a quick get-away.

Fidelity and discipline...old fashioned concepts but don't say you weren't told!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

hop wrote:Look people it's all very nice and lovey dovey now.....some may even say intimate.

Not that I'm saying anything is wrong here... but we will wake up Monday morning.

I just want to make sure that when you roll over and see 'visiting saint' comfortably numb ...under the doona...you don't want to chew your arm off and make a quick get-away.

Fidelity and discipline...old fashioned concepts but don't say you weren't told!
Fair call. We have a few regular visitors on Saintsational from other clubs and we're friendly and happy to chat with them, but there is always the whiff of an enemy in the camp. Unless they troll or deliberately shit-stir though it generally adds another viewpoint to discussions about footy. I know it's a forum for Bomber fans, so if people want to ignore or give me grief, fair enough. I'm a big boy.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

it is a little strange why you chose to join an Essendon forum..... :|

Pretty brave decision!
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

na it's good, as long as they are sensible and talk honest (one eyed a little bit) footy. like he said adds something to the convo that we might not know about he others teams.... and this fella seems to be one of those guys, but i hope he is in a bad mood after sundays game sorry mate :D
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:it is a little strange why you chose to join an Essendon forum..... :|

Pretty brave decision!
at least he picked the decent Essendon forum, might go back with a good opinion. what if he went to BB? different story?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

visiting saint wrote:
hop wrote:Look people it's all very nice and lovey dovey now.....some may even say intimate.

Fair call. We have a few regular visitors on Saintsational from other clubs and we're friendly and happy to chat with them, but there is always the whiff of an enemy in the camp. Unless they troll or deliberately shit-stir though it generally adds another viewpoint to discussions about footy. I know it's a forum for Bomber fans, so if people want to ignore or give me grief, fair enough. I'm a big boy.
Ah well... that alright then.

One of our Moderators likes big boys.

(Evidently) :oops:
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:it is a little strange why you chose to join an Essendon forum..... :|

Pretty brave decision!

I just like footy. One of the best games I've ever seen was the Essendon vs Brisvegas goalfest in 2001? 2002? I decided to test the water and see how you guys responded to me butting in. Been pleasantly surprised so far.
It's interesting to see how other teams' fans are thinking about the game and their side. Have been reading the other threads on this site about Monfries, Laycock, Neagle etc. Leading into a game it's good to have a bit more info about various players on the opposition and how their supporters reckon they're travelling.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

hop wrote: Ah well... that alright then.

easy tiger. :shock: :shock: :shock:
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Jazz_84 wrote:
at least he picked the decent Essendon forum, might go back with a good opinion. what if he went to BB? different story?
yeh I checked that out and it wasn't pretty
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

visiting saint wrote:
hop wrote: Ah well... that alright then.

easy tiger. :shock: :shock: :shock:
IT's ok she's a she :mrgreen:

I like tall men :mrgreen: I still miss Alessio...

Either way, hope you come back after the game no matter the outcome whilst we all analyse it to bits and sort out the good from the bad, and get into the umps for all the shit decisions #-o
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

I think the key to how successful we are is how well the Saints cope with our game plan. We seem to have a fairly distinct 'run and gun down the centre' style that unsettles teams which have been heavily drilled to counter more orthodox styles and the famous 'Hawthorn rolling zone' which was being touted as the new way to go. I think this is where Knights has been very clever in creating our own game style which suits our speedy attributes, and is a bit unexpected.