Only 3 things to say...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Re: Only 3 things to say...

Post by MH_Bomber »

I agree with point 3 big time. They are a tin arse side that has a lot of downhill skiiers and will be found out. Had we not been asleep in the 1st quarter we would have won IMO.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Umpires are umpires not much you can do...it want them that lost us the game but our first 1/4.

Zaharakis CAN PLAY.

St Kilda got found out tonight. They cant handle it when the pressure is reversed.
Geelong will be giddy after watching how terrible St Kilda's skill level is under some real pressure, and how they can be carved up with speed.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

MH_Bomber wrote:I agree with point 3 big time. They are a tin arse side that has a lot of downhill skiiers and will be found out. Had we not been asleep in the 1st quarter we would have won IMO.
Quite possibly. The Saints were kinda flat at times today and our speed and pressure was really getting to them at times. I still feel that the Saints are a better side than that and still deserve to be potential premiership faves. Geelong is the benchmark though and the Saints still have a way to go to beat them.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

StK were ok. I think you're undermining what a great run & carry team we've become. Chuck in a couple of our injured best 22 and the result may have gone our way.

I agree that StK will suffer when injuries hit, & their physical game may burn them out like it seems to have happened with the Dawks.
The Cats have the better balance of strength & run, & I can't see StK threatening them.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

Filthy wrote: 3) St Failure for premiers.....LOL....what a bunch of over rated piss weak over rated turds. They are 4 injuries, a big thumping from someone (it will happen soon) and a bunch of old has beens (King, Gardiner, and so on) from a 4th-8th finish. Bunch of shielas.

The words of a frustrated and disappointed supporter. Am a bit tired of people trotting out the no injuries thing. Maguire, Hudghton, Raph and Xavier Clarke and Jarryd Allen. Four out of five first 22 starters when fully fit. Piss weak - 8-0 says different. Over-rated - time will tell. Premiers in May means jackshit.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

visiting saint wrote:
Filthy wrote: 3) St Failure for premiers.....LOL....what a bunch of over rated piss weak over rated turds. They are 4 injuries, a big thumping from someone (it will happen soon) and a bunch of old has beens (King, Gardiner, and so on) from a 4th-8th finish. Bunch of shielas.

The words of a frustrated and disappointed supporter. Am a bit tired of people trotting out the no injuries thing. Maguire, Hudghton, Raph and Xavier Clarke and Jarryd Allen. Four out of five first 22 starters when fully fit. Piss weak - 8-0 says different. Over-rated - time will tell. Premiers in May means jackshit.
ummm ... how many flags has your team won sunshine? IMO only one of the players you named is in your best 22 ... and I kinda remember last time you were 8/0 ... Back to the Oyster Bar nite club for you princess... September - bring it on!!!!

Cheers - STI
Last edited by s'dreams on Sun May 17, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

They played fantastic footy in the Q1.

We played catch up footy for the rest of the game.

They held us at arms length despite us outscoring them in the last 3 quarters.

Hooker and Pears were great. I would've given Pears the 3 until Koschitski(sp) kicked a couple in the 2nd half.

I can't wait to see Hurley added to the back half, and them having played half a doz games together.
pear
On the Rookie List

Post by pear »

visiting saint wrote:

Hudghton = Lloyd's bitch
Bleeding for the red and black
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I thought we had the slightly rough end of the pineapple on the umpiring tonight, but it didn't alter the outcome of the game. McBurney and Chamberlain in the one game was extremely difficult to watch.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

sti dreams wrote:
ummm ... how many flags has your team won sunshine? IMO only one of the players you named is in your best 22 ... and I kinda remember last time you were 8/0 ... Back to the Oyster Bay nite club for you princes... September - bring it on!!!!

Cheers - STI
yeh yeh you can trot out the old, "how many flags" line. Do you reckon that's going to change my attitude to the Saints? Water off a duck's back mate. It doesn't have any bearing on the 2009 season either does it? Raph and X Clarke and Maguire are all in our best 22 when fully fit. Hudghton should have been AA last year.
I remember the last time we were 8 and zip as well. Finished in a prelim in Adelaide. Like I said, Premiers in May means jackshit but would rather be 8- zip than not.
Thought your boys were good today. Showed that last week wasn't a flash in the pan and there's plenty to be optimistic about if you're a Bomber supporter.
Watson has matured into a very good player, Dyson was good and I liked the look of Pears, Hocking, Hooker and Ryder. Zaharakis didn't get much of it today but also looks like he could be a player. Big blow for you guys having Hille out for the season. Reckon you'll be in the mix come September.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

The saints have shown they're one of the top 2 sides, and at least 3-4 goals better than the rest.

Positions 3-14 are very much up for grabs I think. The teams there now have been entirely too inconsistent to make a clear break to a 3rd contender.

I hope we get there, but our young team may falter the longer the season goes. The bonus is that they are showing us the future now.

As the season plays on, we'll get other players back slowly. Hurley and Prismall are the 2 I'm really looking forward to watch. Fletcher, McVeigh and Welsh will make a difference and Reimers...well he's also a youngster, but he bites!

I think we missed a very tall running chf tonight. We'll get one one day. It's 12 weeks 'til we play them again. Will Gumby will up for it?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

F111 wrote:The saints have shown they're one of the top 2 sides, and at least 3-4 goals better than the rest.

Positions 3-14 are very much up for grabs I think. The teams there now have been entirely too inconsistent to make a clear break to a 3rd contender.

I hope we get there, but our young team may falter the longer the season goes. The bonus is that they are showing us the future now.

As the season plays on, we'll get other players back slowly. Hurley and Prismall are the 2 I'm really looking forward to watch. Fletcher, McVeigh and Welsh will make a difference and Reimers...well he's also a youngster, but he bites!

I think we missed a very tall running chf tonight. We'll get one one day. It's 12 weeks 'til we play them again. Will Gumby will up for it?
thats a great point. Numerous times we had the ball in the middle but didint quite know where or who to kick it to. Neagle disappeared after 1/2 time and Lloyd tried hard but it would have been nice to have another presenting forward option up there.
visiting saint
Top Up Player

Post by visiting saint »

F111 wrote:The saints have shown they're one of the top 2 sides, and at least 3-4 goals better than the rest.

Remains to be seen whether or not St.Kilda can sustain the intensity for a whole season.
Re missing a running CHF, they don't grow on trees do they? Riewoldt's a freak. Do you reckon Lucas will come back in and have an impact or is do you think he's too far past his best to be a key player?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

visiting saint wrote:
sti dreams wrote:
ummm ... how many flags has your team won sunshine? IMO only one of the players you named is in your best 22 ... and I kinda remember last time you were 8/0 ... Back to the Oyster Bay nite club for you princes... September - bring it on!!!!

Cheers - STI
yeh yeh you can trot out the old, "how many flags" line. Do you reckon that's going to change my attitude to the Saints? Water off a duck's back mate. It doesn't have any bearing on the 2009 season either does it? Raph and X Clarke and Maguire are all in our best 22 when fully fit. Hudghton should have been AA last year.
I remember the last time we were 8 and zip as well. Finished in a prelim in Adelaide. Like I said, Premiers in May means jackshit but would rather be 8- zip than not.
Thought your boys were good today. Showed that last week wasn't a flash in the pan and there's plenty to be optimistic about if you're a Bomber supporter.
Watson has matured into a very good player, Dyson was good and I liked the look of Pears, Hocking, Hooker and Ryder. Zaharakis didn't get much of it today but also looks like he could be a player. Big blow for you guys having Hille out for the season. Reckon you'll be in the mix come September.

Visiting Saint - Thanks for the post - I am simply wrapped at the improvement of our team ... and wrapped they stood up to the onslaught your team gave us in Q1 (reminded me of a tsaumi) ... Re the umps .. they will always favour the team or player that is (a) first to the ball and/or (b) streets ahead for the year (eg look at the frees given against Geel the past few years) - IMO too many of our "A" graders didn't fire up to the 3rd quarter and far far too many soft turnovers in the 1st quarter.

Re your post - still think that only Maguire is a given for the starting 22 .. Allen has huge poential - but is only a 2nd year player who showed flashes last year. King - though has fired up this year and IMO was the difference tonight. Good luck for the rest of the year (but not Rd 20) .. Cheers STI
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

visiting saint wrote:

Remains to be seen whether or not St.Kilda can sustain the intensity for a whole season.
Re missing a running CHF, they don't grow on trees do they? Riewoldt's a freak. Do you reckon Lucas will come back in and have an impact or is do you think he's too far past his best to be a key player?
Lucas has kicked 7 goals in two games in the VFL but i dont know if its enough to get back in the senior side for next week. Neagle kicked 3 goals in the first half and actually looked dangerous at times. The more games Neagle gets under his belt the better for his confidence and match fitness. We have so many players about to come back from injury its going to make for interesting times at the selection table!! :D
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

visiting saint wrote:

Very tall is code for Gumbleton.

Lucas will be back, but if Gumby was up and running I doubt Lucas and Neagle would be in the 22. Lucas is a champ, but now struggling, whilst Neagle needs fitness. He has strength already, just needs the engine.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

[quote="F111Very tall is code for Gumbleton.

Lucas will be back, but if Gumby was up and running I doubt Lucas and Neagle would be in the 22. Lucas is a champ, but now struggling, whilst Neagle needs fitness. He has strength already, just needs the engine.[/quote]

Neagle did OK tonight ... but he is no Wayne Carey ... needed crumbing support when left one on one in the forward 50.

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Some interesting points being raised in here.

A few people are getting on Gumby's bandwagon, however, I will wait to see what he delivers in the top levels. For mine, at the moment, he is another CJ...I can remember CJ being likened to a certain J Brown from Brisvegas, but look where he is now as a result of all his injuries :(

Gumby may be more of a talented footballer rather than just a big lump of a boy, but until he gets the body right and strings together several games, he is not in our starting 22 and therefore, people will just have to forgive me if I don't cream my pants over a kid that has potential but can't get on the park after our recent experiences...

Re Neagle's engine, I thought exactly the same thing. Strength is there, but needs to spend next summer doing a shitload of cardio work (swimming, cycling, cross training, etc...) to get the engine tuned up, that said, he will be a gun player for years to come IMO... :D

Lucas may be getting on and even getting a few goals in the Magoos, but whilst Bendigo are continually getting smashed, I am not sure that it will count for as much as some people hope for...unless Neagle really drops the ball, whilst he is still kicking goals, methinks that Scotty will be staying behind for at least another couple of weeks...

Visting Saint, again, good to see an honest opinion without the usual trolling crap...I still think that last night showed that the saints are up there, but but still a ways behind the kitties and only a short distance away from a big fall from grace...but as you said 'Premiers in May means Jack Shit' (unless you are ManUre :evil: ) and I would rather be in a position of 8-0 than 4-4 any time...