GUS

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: GUS

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

This is why Gus is so frustrating and hasnt reached the next level in his footy career yet.... he plays the game of his life one week then comes out and plays an absolute shocker the week after... should he be put back to Bendigo even for a week to shake him up or just leave him in the team?

Wont it be great when Skippy, McVeigh, Reimers and co become available so there is a bit more competition for Gus's spot.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote: :?:
Yep.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

dissapointing set shot kicker, on move pretty good
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Was f****** toilet this evening. Missed goals a decent small forward should kick, clanged a couple disposals, didn't present enough. Typical follow-up effort from his excellent game last week.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

12 disposals at 58% efficiency. 4 clangers. Had his 2nd kick at the 24th minute mark of the 3rd quarter. Missed 3 gettable goals at crucial stages.

As I said before, the gap between his really good games and really BAD ones, is massive.

There is a range in Kinglake that should be re-named Mt Monfries.
Essendunny
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Needs to stop trying to play like Jonathan Brown and start playing like a small forward!
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Man...dude had the ball in our forward 50 at one stage and was pretty much in the clear...he ends up falling over his own feet twice then was forced to rush his disposal which led to the ball being turned over.

This guy need to learn how to kick straight.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Is he on some kind of weird pills or something?

Can't understand how a bloke can lead confidently at the ball one week and then trip over his own shoelaces the next!? :?
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

The guy is a total enigma. I wonder what is going on under thses brooding eyebrows.
When we get to play finals footy and I can now see that more clearly in the future, we cannot afford to have guys not turning up.
I would rather have a bloke that plays consistently at 75% rather than one that plays at 100% one week and 50% the next.
When you see this kind of inconsistent form, there is sometimes issues goung on outside of the club which impact on a player's performance.
I cannot think of any other reason.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

All you can hope is that Knighta speaks to him and tells him that he was sh*te last night and he has to lift his game.
Very confusing display.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Monfries better be careful. Jetta is pushing for a spot and Skipworth should return to the twos this week. Welsh has also shown that he plays the defensive half forward role very well.

He could very quickly find himself on the outer with performances like that.

I wasn't at the game and only heard the radio broadcast. Was he tagged out of it or just shit?
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

Yes, he played a shocker...Yes he seems to struggle to put 2 good games together and yes he's not a tough player...but he is only 22 and as we've seen he can have a huge influenace on a game, lets hope in time he will become a consistant ball winner on the forward line...Lets not end his career at Essendon just yet.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

andrewb wrote:Monfries better be careful. Jetta is pushing for a spot and Skipworth should return to the twos this week. Welsh has also shown that he plays the defensive half forward role very well.

He could very quickly find himself on the outer with performances like that.

I wasn't at the game and only heard the radio broadcast. Was he tagged out of it or just shit?
Wasn't tagged. He was just shit.

Jetta's form in the 1's isn't that good that, but Skipworth was consistently better than Monfries before he got injured. Reimers also plays that half-forward role very well and if fit you'd have him in before Monfries, but it seems like he's got an injury they just have no idea how to treat.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Was disappointing tonight....but the way the ball was delivered into the forward line didnt really give him a fair go....although his set shots cost us badly.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

With 5 players due to return, Gus would have to be on shaky ground. His efforts on Sunday really hurt us as the forward line was virtually a man down. When Jay tired, two down.

I would rather see Scotty as a leading forward especially as we are not getting much from Gus on the ground.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Unless Scotty has suddenly rediscovered his pace I don't think that's the answer. We have been a far better team since he went to the twos - simply because of his inability to provide defensive pressure. Scotty for Jay maybe but Scotty for Monf and we're suddenly a big, lumbering forward line again - not a good thing in modern footy. Jetta in for Monfries if anything.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

danstar84 wrote:Needs to stop trying to play like Jonathan Brown and start playing like a small forward!
Funny .. I've been thinking the same thing for a long time. Should be more like Medhurst.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

andrewb wrote:Unless Scotty has suddenly rediscovered his pace I don't think that's the answer. We have been a far better team since he went to the twos - simply because of his inability to provide defensive pressure. Scotty for Jay maybe but Scotty for Monf and we're suddenly a big, lumbering forward line again - not a good thing in modern footy. Jetta in for Monfries if anything.
Fair comment. I guess I am thinking of Scotty as a goal scorer rather than someone who can hold the ball in the forward line. I know we expect both from our forwards these days but the bottom line is that our forwards are simply not scoring enough goals, Gus in particular. Had Scotty been able to kick some goals from his limited opprtunities, the criticism may not have been so severe. Given that he has kicked seven in the last two games, perhaps the left foot has returned.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The yoyo continues.

Probably will get his chance next week to play on McLeod and play a good one.
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote:The yoyo continues.

Probably will get his chance next week to play on McLeod and play a good one.
Had a lot of mates today.