Hurley up forward?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hurley up forward?

Post by Crazyman »

It is certainly good news. Also, it is great that we don't have to rush players back immediately with the form being shown by a number of the younger players...

When everyone is up and firing, I think Bendigo will be a much better side for it, however, they do need to ensure that they recruit some decent VFL level players to complement the EFC seniors that play with them...
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I'd throw McPhee forard or on a wing. Hooker, Pears and Hurley all look mobile enough to take a smaller forward. Fletch used to do it all the time.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Haven't seen much of him but Hurley doesn't have the absolute pace that other defenders have and that is needed for defending a small forward...He was drafted because he had a big body (KPP) and was an excellend reader of the ball. He is also a natural defender and likes to spoil...

I reakon that we should play him as KPP.. I also think that Hooker might be better on the smaller forwards.. even though he has done a great job .. I think he has more felxibility like Fletcher. Hurley is going to end up as a big unit.

Don't like him up forward.. but if it works and he turns out to be a good forward that would be great.

I have a feeling that Hooker could also play forward .. he has a nice long kick on him.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

hillchaser wrote:Haven't seen much of him but Hurley doesn't have the absolute pace that other defenders have and that is needed for defending a small forward...He was drafted because he had a big body (KPP) and was an excellend reader of the ball. He is also a natural defender and likes to spoil...

I reakon that we should play him as KPP.. I also think that Hooker might be better on the smaller forwards.. even though he has done a great job .. I think he has more felxibility like Fletcher. Hurley is going to end up as a big unit.

Don't like him up forward.. but if it works and he turns out to be a good forward that would be great.

I have a feeling that Hooker could also play forward .. he has a nice long kick on him.
Yep, and Hooker is super tall, so would cause problems up forward.
I reckon Hooker and Pears could certainly play on smaller players without being left behind.
I don't like Hurley playing forward and probably not Pears, so if one has to go forward, it probably should be Hooker.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Ok I'll bite. I haven't seen any one else raise it so I will....that old chestnut, Fletcher to the forward line, only this time permanently.

Pears and Hooks have fitted in like a glove in the Key defensive possies and with Hurley also waiting in the wings back there I reckon we could do a lot worse.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

pevfan wrote:Ok I'll bite. I haven't seen any one else raise it so I will....that old chestnut, Fletcher to the forward line, only this time permanently.

Pears and Hooks have fitted in like a glove in the Key defensive possies and with Hurley also waiting in the wings back there I reckon we could do a lot worse.
Could be an option as lon as the youngsters are performing and playing well together. I would love to see Fletch add some more goals to his 300 game career! Didnt he come to the club as a forward but Sheeds turned him into a defender??
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

pevfan wrote:Ok I'll bite. I haven't seen any one else raise it so I will....that old chestnut, Fletcher to the forward line, only this time permanently.
it would be nice on the odd occasion but Fletch is going to play in the backline to help the development of our young defenders. There is no one better in the business to be so close to during a game and to learn off.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Fletch can play on a smaller forward while others take the bigger marking targets. He could even play in a quarterback role coming out of defence. Imagine Fletch kicking from the back 50 INTO THE FORWARD 50!!!!!!!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Sismis wrote: He could even play in a quarterback role coming out of defence. !
Wrong game Sismis! :wink: Shite, even Josh the dog Fraser uses that term!

I'd like Hurley at FB, kicking in to Fletch on the wing, then Fletch lobbing the ball over the zones to LIoyd in the square.... :D

Oh yeah! :wink: =D> vingertje
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gumby in the pool is a great sign too. Geez I cant wait til we get this boy fit and firing. Almost everyone involved in watching these kids develop likens him to a young Wayne Carey.

How about this as a future spine

Pears
Hurley
Primsal
Gumbleton
Neagle
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

It's pretty funny how the football media turns so quickly after a few positive games. Most boofhead commentators were predicting we'd be bottom dwellers this year due to our supposedly shoddy backline. Now we have "an embarrassment of defensive riches" at the club. Goes to show how quick things can turn around in the modern game. The bandwagon has been fueled up and is ready for all to board it seems... Guess I'm struggling with all the positive media we're getting. Even Fatprick's back on board... Bloody hell. After the past few years, it just doesn't feel right...

Good news about Gumby too. Hopefully the kid [-o< can get a few senior games [-o< under his belt late in the season, then [-o< , an injury free [-o< preseason... [-o<
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Doctor Fish wrote:It's pretty funny how the football media turns so quickly after a few positive games. Most boofhead commentators were predicting we'd be bottom dwellers this year due to our supposedly shoddy backline. Now we have "an embarrassment of defensive riches" at the club. Goes to show how quick things can turn around in the modern game. The bandwagon has been fueled up and is ready for all to board it seems... Guess I'm struggling with all the positive media we're getting. Even Fatprick's back on board... Bloody hell. After the past few years, it just doesn't feel right...

Good news about Gumby too. Hopefully the kid [-o< can get a few senior games [-o< under his belt late in the season, then [-o< , an injury free [-o< preseason... [-o<
You might need a few more prayers there doc :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

How's this:
[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<