Predicted Best Team at Round 15

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Predicted Best Team at Round 15

Post by bomberflyer »

B Slattery Fletcher Pears
HB Dempsey Hurley McPhee
C Lovett Watson Dyson
HF Lonergan Lloyd Monfries
F Davey Neagle Reimers
R Ryder Stanton Hocking
I Laycock/Bellchambers McVeigh Prismall Welsh

Or, played in a different set-up - interchange based on match fitness.

Back-ups:

Remainder (in no particular order): Daniher, Houli, Hooker, Lovett-Murray, Lucas, Zaharakis, Skipworth and Jetta

Now, this team is selected based on players available this year only - as well as players who are in form/fit and are best-fit.

Possible inclusions Lucas if he somehow was reinvigorated, and Zaharakis - done nothing wrong, but needs to be determined if he is right (in terms of season length expiration) and poses value if someone else can't get on the ground (most likely determined by lack of fitness - but, star of the future).

I just hope we don't get sucked into bringing guys in based on past performance - in exchange for current hunger and better fitness.

Let me know your thoughts.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Predicted Best Team at Round 15

Post by swoodley »

Given that all these players remain injury free, Spike will definitley be back in the starting 18 by round 15...given the split round, that is still 7 1/2 weeks away. On displayed form to date, Zaharakis would be ahead of Monfries in the battle for a small forward spot.

Apart from those few points, I like the look of what you've done although it will be a shame if Hooker gets squeezed out given his current form.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

Dyson in the starting 18, while McVeigh, Welsh and Prismall sit on the bench. Who'd have thought that two months ago? :shock:
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

bomberflyer wrote:B Slattery Fletcher Pears
HB Dempsey Hurley McPhee
C Lovett Watson Dyson
HF Lonergan Lloyd Monfries
F Davey Neagle Reimers
R Ryder Stanton Hocking
I Laycock/Bellchambers McVeigh Prismall Welsh

Or, played in a different set-up - interchange based on match fitness.

Back-ups:
No Winderlich?

Switch
Lonegran with Lovett (positions only)
Hooker with Hurley (one game does not make a definite best 22) onto the HBF. McPhee into CHB.
Skipworth with Monfries

Question marks over Neagle (fitness), Prismall (untested - remember a few other high profile recruits who bombed)

Cheers _ STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I find it interesting that Prismall is a walk up starter for our best team. I am wrapt to have him, but are we just putting him in the best team because he played for Geelong or for his football ability. I'm not trying to make a statement or anything, just wondering because I didn't really see much of him at Geelong, so I can't really comment on his ability.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

JumboPaddy wrote:I find it interesting that Prismall is a walk up starter for our best team. I am wrapt to have him, but are we just putting him in the best team because he played for Geelong or for his football ability. I'm not trying to make a statement or anything, just wondering because I didn't really see much of him at Geelong, so I can't really comment on his ability.
Yeah i think Prismall has to actually get out on the park in the seniors and play a bit first before he is a certainty for the team. I dont envy the selection panel at all...... its going to be a tough job for the rest of the year!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JumboPaddy wrote:I find it interesting that Prismall is a walk up starter for our best team. I am wrapt to have him, but are we just putting him in the best team because he played for Geelong or for his football ability. I'm not trying to make a statement or anything, just wondering because I didn't really see much of him at Geelong, so I can't really comment on his ability.
Prismall fully fit and healthy is definitely in our best 22. Knights is a massive fan. He knows his midfielders.

Saw him in a few games for Geelong. He knows where to go and how to get it. And he is a clean user of the ball. Plenty to look forward to with this guy.
Essendunny
chummy
Top Up Player

Post by chummy »

B HOULI HURLEY FLETCHER

HB DEMPSEY HOOKER PEARS

C DYSON PRISMALL STANTON

HF MCPHEE LUCAS LOVETT

F MCVEIGH LLOYD DAVIES

R RYDER WATSON HOCKING

I/C LAYCOCK WINDERLICH LONERGAN REIMERS

HOULI played in the back pocket against the Saints is a ball magnet will be a great offensive weapon in this running back line
HOOKER the clubs been looking for a chb since Walsh, got away with Harvey in 93 and Wallis in 2000 this kid looks the real deal
PRISMALL was a starting midfielder with Geelong will need time to build match fitness and form should be close by rd 15
LUCAS a bloke called Tredrea has been kicking a few lately ,lucas will be up and about by rd 15
LAYCOCK his career is on the line if he's not in the team in rd 15 its probably bye bye birdy
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Not a bad effort, though, if available, I would persist with Hooker/Pears, move Fletch to HBF and McPhee to HFF...otherwise, not bad...

Also, there are a few players that would be able to consider themselves unlucky if form and attitude persists but good to great teams need those players and we can't fit 30+ into a side of 22... :D
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Sorry - Winderlich is definitely in starting 18 - he has been super and deserves his spot - not by intention.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

that is a fair point Bomberflyer...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bomberflyer wrote:Sorry - Winderlich is definitely in starting 18 - he has been super and deserves his spot - not by intention.
Whenever anyone does this sort of team, there is always at least one deserving player overlooked...I must admit that I was trying to find someone missing and completely forgot about Winders.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

B Slattery Hurley Pears
HB Dempsey Hooker Fletcher
C Hocking Watson Lovett
HF Monfries Lloyd Welsh
F Davey Neagle Reimers
R Ryder Stanton Winderlich
I Laycock Lonergan Dyson Mcphee

Very hard to do, still some good players who missed out. Zaka, Houli, Daniher, Belly, Skippy, Lucas, Natrat, Jetta.

Maybe a bit tall down back. Someone like Houli (if he can reduce the number of clangers) could fill a spot down there.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

B: Heath Hocking, Tayte Pears, Henry Slattery
HB: Courtenay Dempsey, Michael Hurley, Dustin Fletcher
C: Brent Stanton, Mark McVeigh, Brent Prismall
HF: Adam McPhee, Matthew Lloyd, Hayden Skipworth
F: Jason Winderlich, Jay Neagle, Alwyn Davey
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Jobe Watson, Andrew Lovett
I/C: Cale Hooker / Jason Laycock, Ricky Dyson, Sam Lonergan, Andrew Welsh

Hooker to play against teams like Melbourne, Richmond, Adelaide, Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane, etc that don't have a strong ruck presence. Gives us loads of versatility. Laycock to play against teams like Port, St Kilda, West Coast, Geelong etc. which have two big bodies to throw at Paddy.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Hookers in the best 22.NLM on current form is as well.

Hurls needs more than a game to warrant inclusion(despite I think everyone suspecting he'll be a player)

Reimers/Prismall, both coming off serious injuries, bugger all preseasons. best 22 probably yes but by round 15? not too sure. suprised if we get a lot of good games out of either this year. they'll still get games due to injury/suspension tho. either could be an excellent september wildcard if we make it.

Monfries/Jetta/Zaka all competing for the one spot if you ask me. acceptable that as a first year Zaha is a bit up and down. the other two frustrates the hell out of me. knighta will be looking for consistency among all 22.

Lucas aint finished yet. will be back for the run towards september. by your criteria of round 15. he will be in the team.

Fletcher IMO is the only walk up start straight into the current team at the moment.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

juff wrote:Dyson in the starting 18, while McVeigh, Welsh and Prismall sit on the bench. Who'd have thought that two months ago? :shock:
My brother. :roll:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

B: Houli, Fletcher, Hurley
HB: Dempsey, Pears, Welsh
C: McPhee, McVeigh, Stanton
HF: Davey, Lucas, Riemers
F: Monfries, Lloyd, Dyson
R: Ryder, Watson, Lovett
Int: Lovett Murry, Winderlich, Prismall, Zaharakis

Emg: Hooker, Lonergan, Hocking

It's not exactly a balanced side but it's our best in my view. Notable ommisions from the current side include the 3 emergencies and H. Slattery... the emergencies where very unlucky... Slattery just isn't up to AFL standard. The big inclusion is probably Lucas, he's a champion and we shouldn't forget that. Like all champs, he WILL bounce back. Let me know what you think.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

ZeroEffect wrote:B: Houli, Fletcher, Hurley

It's not exactly a balanced side but it's our best in my view. Notable ommisions from the current side include the 3 emergencies and H. Slattery... the emergencies where very unlucky... Slattery just isn't up to AFL standard. The big inclusion is probably Lucas, he's a champion and we shouldn't forget that. Like all champs, he WILL bounce back. Let me know what you think.
I think you've lost your junk. Monfries is next on the chopping block. Lonergan and Hocking have been an integral part of a well performing midfield this year and aren't going anywhere.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Thats cool mate... I just reckon the other 2 are just players, nothing special... besides my team is packed with midfielders already. I know he had a shocker on Sunday but Monfries presents well, knows where the goals are and usually finds them.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

ZeroEffect wrote:B: Houli, Fletcher, Hurley

No coverage for Ryder if he got injured :shock:
Hocking has been excellent this year and would be ahead of Houli and Monfries.
Winderlich into the starting 18 ahead of Reimers.
Hooker ahead of Hurley purely on current form...he has played on Brown, Franklin and Reiwoldt and has held his own and so deserves a spot. Hurley has loads of potential but has only played one game (which although very good does not give us enough to put him straight into the team)
I'd love to see Lucas bounce back but at this stage he is not in our best 22.